I did it! I installed a new glass digitizer.

Discussion in 'Palm' started by jigwashere, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thank you, RickAgresta, for your encouragement and the links to instructions. And thank you to the many others who also contributed to the instructions with details and pictures.

Everything seems to be working very well! Whew!

I'm really not very good at this kind of thing, but it went pretty well and didn't take long. The only hitch was the black clip securing the digitizer's cable to the LCD -- it broke off! :eek: I panicked. I used a tweezers to put in in place and pressed it down before taping everything back together. I'm not sure if it's going to hold in the long run, but it's working for now. I simply turned on my TX, recalibrated the screen, and all appears well.

Is it my imagination, or is the screen brighter?

Anyway, I put off replacing the digitizer for about a year. My TX sat unused for a long period of time, but I've been playing with it more and more lately. I miss it, even though I prefer the convergence of PDA and mobile phone. The TX is really a great tool. I suppose I mainly use it for entertainment -- the occasional video or playing SolFree or other game. At some point, I'll probably put some books on it for the kids (especially my son) and let them play with FPainterLS (finger painter) and Kaleida. I miss Plucker and could get that going again to read the news at bedtime. I also have a lot of quick reference tools like Converter, DateDiff, ChemTable, Metronome, Noah Pro, snapCalc5, Tik Tok, Thesaurus, etc. Maybe my son could make use of QuizWiz. I also have the most recent Docs2Go and a keyboard. Hmm....why would I want a tablet PC? :confused: :newpalm: <<newpalm :D

At some point, probably soon, I'm going to have to replace the battery. I think I can handle that task, once I get a new soldering iron.

Thanks again, RA! If Zippy were still around, you'd be getting a lot more greenies.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Congratulations, Jig. Yu are braver than I, although If I ever need to replace my glass-backed digitizer, I suppose I might finally try it since I don't use the TX much these days. :)

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Great to hear it, Jig! as for the screen appearing brighter -- although one would expect the light-transmittance of the two digi's to be comparable, it could easily be the case that the new digi lets through more light, thus brighter. still need to order mine (old one is still good, but running au naturalé has accrued smudges/scratches)

5. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

Well done jig :)

Probably a combination of more light getting through as RA said and looking at it through 'happy eyes' :newpalm: :)

All the best, woz of oz

6. teg

teg Mobile Evangelist

I noticed that the screen was definitely brighter and clearer with the glass digitiser fitted. The old crappy plastic one was cloudy compared to the glass one. Another advantage I noticed was that screen whine is completly absent with the glass digitiser.

Trev

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Congrats, jig! :cool:

Now I have one more person to advise me when it's my turn... ;)

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

With those great links, I'm going to add this thread to my TX Help page tonight. :)

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

We who are sometimes mentally scrambled thank you. :D

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Great, jig. A second life to your TX :)

Mod, wouldn't it be good to make this thread sticky? This subject has been inquired recently. Or, is there a similar thread already sticked in the sub-forum? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.