I Am Considering a Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Netbooks, Tablets, Slates and eReaders' started by Hook, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Doing so feels weird. While I love big screens for doing the kinds of things I do, I have also values pocketability (I do have big pockets) so that my computing device is always with me.

However, my wife (a subversive user of Facebook) started this mess and got me thinking. Actually, I was already thinking(usually gets me in trouble). I have been getting more and more frustrated about not being able to get my Nexus 4. There is nothing more frustrating than being sure something is what you want and not being able to get it. :rolleyes:;) So I started to look at other unlocked phones, which mostly would cost $200 more to get similar specs. Then I started looking a 3rd party sellers on Amazon, the ones that Amazon will stand behind and guarantee satisfaction, and i could get the phone i want new in box, but it would be $200 more (minimum). And suddenly I said to myself, well, sheesh, for that extra $200, I could get a Nexus 7.

That's when my subversive wife made the fatal mistake of saying words men across the planet are all dying to hear: "You're right." She added, to make matters worse: "Maybe a tablet is really all you need (I don't talk on the phone much). And, if not, you can always bu the Nexus 4 when it is avaiable and you won't have spent much more money." She also pointed out that I had been wanting a Kindle Paperwhite, so I would be saving that money too.

So after resisting tablets all this time for their lack of pocketability, I'm seriously contemplating a tablet.

I browse the internet, I work with documents, I read books, I don't use cameras and I like big screens.

Maybe Drillbit or someone can run down for me the real pros and cons between an N7 and an N4. Or maybe i should just go with it. One question I have is whether there is a way to do sms on a tablet. I'm pretty sure there is. I don't so it a lot, but sometimes is the only way to get my son.

Susan also wants me to join Facebook as she and my son are active users. :rolleyes: I'm resisting the corruption. ;)

Geez, what's next. Windows 8? :eek::D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  2. Hook

By the way, the Galaxy Player 5 experiment didn't work out for me because, though pocketable and I loved the big screen, Samsung made it instantly abandonware. The screen, though large,was too low a resolution and they made it clear there was no intent to upgrade it. It was when I realized I needed to move on, I zeroed in on the N4 and returned to my Nexus one which, other than the large screen, out performed the Samsung. the player left me with a mistrust of Samsung products, although i suspect a Note II would change my mind.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I highly recommend the Nexus 7. It is after all a tablet, and 7" makes a superior browsing and touching experience than 4.8". Its hard to beat the price and the performance (32Gb with a Tegra 3 for $250).

There is no way to get SMS into the Nexus 7 unless you can outfit the Nexus 7 with a chat app (Google Talk comes built in) that can use an email address instead of a telephone number. An example is Line by Naver. But then again, just between Facebook Messenger and Google Talk you can cover a lot of of people.

Hook likes this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Poor pirate. :) I posted about visiting the iPad Mini in the Mini thread a little while ago. When the iPad Mini 2 comes out, with Retina display, I'm doomed. ;)

Hook likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Do not trust the wife's endorsement of a tablet. There is high risk she will use this against you at some future point in time.

:rolleyes: Well, maybe not. I don't know.

I bought my Nook Color while I still had the TP2. I was putting off getting a more expensive phone while still getting the benefit/experience of Android.

Now that I have an Android phone, I don't use my Nook Color very much. I flashed CM10 and it does a lot of what I need, but it's not as portable as my always-connected E4GT.

That said, the Nexus 7 looks like a great tablet. If I could afford to upgrade right now, I'd seriously consider it. Of course, I'm to the point where I need to consider getting a decent laptop before a tablet.

EDIT: I have my BT keyboard and mouse paired with all my devices. I think if I had a decent stand for the Nook Color, the keyboard/mouse would get used more often.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. jigwashere

If you sign up for a Google Voice number, you would be able to get your voicemails on the Nexus 7 as well as do SMS. I'm able to do that on my Nook Color.

Hook likes this.
  7. Hook

My not considering tablets always had to do with the pocketability issue, not the connectivity issue. I don't make many phone calls, in fact I hate talking on the phone and even discourage people at work from calling me and they issued me a BlackBerry. I have everyone trained to email me. :D I think needing a phone would also chase me away from tablets but I don't. However, for some reason, the concern about Pocketability has fallen away and as I learn more and more about the Nexus 7, I'm really starting to think this is the handheld for me.

I have a Google Voice number I never use, so I will look into that. Thanks.

8. Hook

I dood it. :eek:

Waiting to hear when it is shipped and estimated arrival date. Supposed to ship 2 Day Air, so i should have it by the end of the week. Hookette is very excited. She likes big... screens. ;)

lelisa13p and Drillbit like this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Congrats on your tablet!

You may want to look into Tablet Talk for texting on your Nexus 7. It connects to your phone for receiving and sending SMS/MMS from your same old phone number. Works like a charm, but I have unlimited texting on my phone so you may want to go the Google Voice route if you don't.

Hook and Drillbit like this.
  10. jigwashere

Hook, scjjtt and Drillbit like this.
  11. jigwashere

Hook likes this.
  12. Hook

13. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Congrats on the impending new arrival! :D

Many of us will be curious to learn how it works out for you, given your usage is a wee bit out of the mainstream "connected to every human on the planet every second of every day in every place and every situation" mode. ;)

Good luck - Hope it gets there soon!

14. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Congrats =)

Sounds like Hookette might have a lot of body swapping coming up. Good luck to her :newpalm:

15. r0k

r0k Dazed

My GP5 sits unused on my nightstand. About the only use it does get is when I'm debugging wifi and need to use wifi analyzer which still (for now) works on Gingerbread. I've heard the reason they never ported a newer OS to the GP5 is the RAM. I heard they didn't include enough RAM to run Honeycomb, ICS or JB. I don't know if this is true but it is a huge turn-off to have a "brand new" device running a 2 year old OS.

I love my iPad mini. I did a "brain transplant" from my iPad 1 wirelessly through iCloud and everything came over, including custom roller coasters I'd designed in air coaster and wifi ssid's and passwords.

I opted for the 3G iPad mini. The lower entry price made it easier to shell out the extra $129 for 3G. This got me GPS so I can use the thing as a nav system if I want to. Congrats on the Nexus 7. If I were in the market for an Android tablet, the N7 one would be my first choice over Kindle Fire HD, Nook or any of the others in the same price range.

16. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Oops. Then please disregard my suggestion for Tablet Talk as a SMS/MMS solution. It wasn't until I saw this and then went back and read your original post that I realized you're replacing your Nexus phone with the Nexus 7. If you don't have a phone to link to, Tablet Talk won't be a solution for you.

Wow. So you just had to out-do all us Note 2 folks in terms of phone dimensions, eh? ;)

17. Hook

If I could get a Note II without either a phone contract or paying $700, I would have seriously considered it. I will still use my Nexus One as a phone-- just a phone, but if I can do texting on a tablet, I'd really like to. so Tablettalk should work just fine. I just don't need data on a device with a 3.7" screen. I don't use a phone much but when I do need it, I need it. I still plan to get a Nexus 4 unless the Nexus 7 convinces me I really don't need it. I'm just not going to be in a big whopping hurry.

RickAgresta likes this.
  18. Hook

:eek: It is being delivered tomorrow! I had to divert delivery to a UPS Store I use because no one will be home, but, unlike the hub, it iss still open when I get home from work. Not that I'll get a chance to do much with it until Friday, but I'm excited. :newpalm:

lelisa13p, JRakes, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  19. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Cool - Good luck and enjoy! :D

20. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Woo hoo! < always helpful, lelisa13p cleans up the drool. > :D

3_13_10.gif

Hook, jigwashere and Chmee like this.