hx4700 WiFi Problem

Discussion in 'iPAQ hx4700 series' started by MadBison, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadBison

MadBison Mobile Enthusiast

Hello

I have:

hx4700
    NetGear WG602 v2 Wireless AP
    NetGear FR114P Router/Firewall

I can connect with the hx4700 fine. BUT after 24 hours (I think it is bang on 24 hours), I can no longer connect. The iPAQ 5555 and laptop have no such problems.

I have noticid that when I cannot connect, the 4700 gets an IP address of 169.254.57.172. Where does this come from? I can tell you it is nothing to do with the IP address assigned to me by my ISP, which starts with 202.x.x.x.

The wireless interface on 4700 tells me I am connected, but of course, with this IP address I can access nothing.

Simply rebooting the Wireless AP fixes it. Note, not rebooting the Router, but the Wireless AP.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    David

2. HX4705

HX4705 Mobile Evangelist

The 169 IP is an internal address

I am assuming that you are using DHCP IP's from your router starting at 192.168.x.x ?

A long long time ago in a galaxy... oops.. wrong story...

Check what IP address your router gives your PPC for the DHCP server IP address.

There is a handy utility called vxUtil:

vxUtil for Personal Use

Use this App, choose functions and then choose Info. Look for your nic, should be tiacxwln or possibly with a 1 at the end.

Look for the IP address of the "DHCP Server". If this address is 127.0.0.1 that is a loopback address pointing to your PPC. When DHCP tries to renew its IP it goes to that addess to do so and fails because your PPC isnt a DHCP server.

3. MadBison

Thanks for the quick reply

I have vxUtil. Comes in handy for this problem...

DHCP Server is 192.168.0.1, which is the router, which is correct. Whats more, it says that the lease expires Sat 30 October 2004 at 13:51 GMT, which is when I last rebooted the Wireless AP. Note that I did NOT reboot the iPAQ, nor the router at this time.

So given that the lease will last till Saturday, but yet, I know that at 13:51 GMT on Thursday, I will not be able to connect, what would cause that?

And rebooting the AP gives the 4700 a new IP lease??? Remember, the router and AP are two separate devices.

Gateway is 192.168.0.1
    No WINS
    DNS is set to the ISP IP addresses.

The plot thickens.

David

4. MadBison

Oh, and another thing. The Wireless AP has a static IP address outside the range of the DHCP server. But I also had it assigned by the DHCP server, as a static IP address based on its MAC address, but that made no difference.

David

5. HX4705

HX4705 Mobile Evangelist

The only other answer I have for you is that the 169.X.X.X is only given when a DHCP request is not answered so the machine, whatever it is, defaults to the "internal IP" of the card.

6. Compusmurf

Compusmurf Mobile Evangelist

That's correct. 169.254.x.x. It's called APIPA. Automatic Private IP Adressing.

To possibly help you, check your router's firmware. If you updated it recently, you might want to jump out to Netgear's site and read the notice about the pulled BIOS. Not sure if it pertains to YOURS, but it might. If not, you "may" want to update to the latest BIOS for it.