HTC Vision Could Be the Android-Based Slider HTC Fans Have Been Looking For Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

HTC is supposedly prepping a smartphone with the feature set many have been looking for: a high-end model with Google's Android OS and a sliding keyboard. The HTC Vision will be essentially a version of the HTC Droid Incredible with a physical keyboard.

Read the full content of this Article: HTC Vision Could Be the Android-Based Slider HTC Fans Have Been Looking For

Related Articles:

Android OS 2.2 Coming To HTC Droid Incredible, HTC EVO 4G

Google Android OS 2.2 To Offer Mobile Hotspot, Flash Player

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

<Joe-Boy dons his night-vision goggles and goes into stealthy surveillance mode... ;) >

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

That is one nice hand held. I'd be drooling if I didn't have a Nexus One. I hope it has a GSM version. Unless high end Qwerty sliders appear more frequently than they have in the past year, if there is an unlocked version of this still available when I go to upgrade next, this will get a serious look even if it is a year old.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Double-drool!

I was beginning to think that the high-end slider phone was going the way of manual transmissions: historic curiosities.

BTW, this quote from your article: "The company makes a number of advanced models running Google's operating system, and it also makes a number of models with sliding keyboards, but so far it has yet to bring those two together. According to unconfirmed information, this will soon change." says what I was trying to say last week about marrying HIGH-END Android specs with a slider keyboard. AFAIK, this would really be the only phone to really do it.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Very nice indeed. I do wonder if my reservations about sliders in general will only increase with a much larger device but still, it looks very useable.

My brother, who has a Droid, claims he almost never uses the physical keyboard. Then again, he only ever uses any keyboard to make short replies to texts.

I wonder if these slate models might usher in a return to small bluetooth keyboards such as those used with PDAs?

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

The image in the story is a mockup. This is an actual phone that is rumored to be the Vision:

[​IMG]

7. JRakes

As I mentioned a while back in another thread, THIS is one I'm keenly interested in. For my use, it's the only thing on the horizon I could seriously consider going forward. The landscape keyboard on my TP2 is fantastic - I could never use a cramped up portrait keyboard. I had reservations about the landscape keyboard on Touchie, but it's very good, IMHO. I hope if the Vision comes to fruition, however, that they use the same offset key layout as the TP2, and keep the spacing.

I might consider something like the Galaxy, but my experience with HTC has been 100% positive, so unless they stumble badly I'm likely to stick with them. :newpalm:

EDIT: Sniped by Mi An! :eek: (Hey there! :) )

I like that keyboard layout better wrt my comment about offset keys and spacing. I just don't like the loss of a number row, which I use quite often. I think I could possibly adjust to the one in the linked article more easily than I could do without the number keys I currently have.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Hiya! :)

I don't know for sure if I like crunched non-offset keys less or only 4 rows less, but I don't like both of them and I'm enamored with tiltability, so (hopefully) I don't really have to decide. Surely the real TP3 will come along some day. They really nailed the form factor with Rhodium. It's like the phone that ruined all other phones for me.

Vision is a lot closer than anything else has been though.

9. JRakes

Yeah, I've decided that it will be a tall order to fill to out-do what HTC did with Rhodium. My big wishes would be for a larger screen which, in keeping with the Rhodium design, could give an even larger (better) keyboard - The thought of that combination makes me almost giddy!

10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.