HTC One X+ worth buying Tegra 3 before Tegra 4 is debuted in start of 2013?

Discussion in 'HTC' started by LeoVainio, Dec 10, 2012.

1. LeoVainio

LeoVainio Mobile Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

So recently I've been able to use a bunch of smartphones due to work, and been looking at stuff like Android and Tegra 3 :)

I think Tegra 3 looks insanely awesome, and as I have a Blackberry at the moment... I feel like damn I would love to have the most powerful Android smartphone with Tegra 3 :p

But upon research, it looks like Nvidia is gonna debut Tegra 4 at CES 2013.. Which is in January

Since I don't really need anything atm... I was looking at the awesome HTC One X+ and how that could be nice for Christmas.
    Thoughts on Tegra, Android, smartphones, 2013 etc well appreciated :)

Thanks for any and all replies ! :D

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Anything gets 'obsoleted' soon by faster and beastier devices and the cycle will never end. Yet current devices are going to be supported longer in the future because 'a larger cup will hold more wine'. In other words current devices are so powerful now they would be able to contain more system upgrades than previous generations.

The HTC One X+ along with the Galaxy Note 2 are probably the two finest of the current generation of quad core Cortex A9 devices. The apex of this generation. But a new age is dawning indeed with quad core Krait (Qualcomm S4) and the first Cortex A15 devices like those based on the dual core Samsung Exynos 5. I suspect the Tegra 4 might come in an economy dual core version and a pro quad core version with the Cortex A15 core. The dual core probably isn't that much faster if ever over the fastest quad core Tegra 3s but a quad core is a different matter.

In any case the One X+, a very much underrated phone, is already up ended by the quad core Krait powered HTC Droid DNA and its upcoming GSM counterpart, the HTC Butterfly. The One X+ does claim a supreme 64Gb of storage while the more advanced devices have only 16Gb.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

3. LeoVainio

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply, Drillbit! :)

I can understand that some insanely powerful processors are coming out soon, and already. But what we're looking at is mobile games, and I think that in every single aspect apart from benchmarking... would anyone notice the difference between the One X+ and the Droid DNA etc..

How do those perform better than the One X+'s Tegra 3 clocked at 1.7Ghz ?

Personally I think in terms of gaming, there would be no noticeable difference between Tegra 3 and Tegra 4... but when it goes 28nm there would be improvements in battery life, would be nice for a phone but not necessary... And the knowledge of having the latest and greatest would be awesome.

I'm an Nvidia fanboy, so if the Snapdragon or whatever scores 1 point higher.. I would still roll for Tegra :p what are your thoughts on jumping on a One X+ for Christmas? or is there any significant reason to wait?

4. dackoni

dackoni Newbie

While browsing around I stumbled upon your question through Google and decided to login and respond lol.

I had almost the same dilemma as you, as in just as I made up my mind to buy the One X+, the HTC Deluxe gets announced, then the rumors about the Tegra 4 phone from HTC in 2013. Here's the thing, I was actually willing to buy the first One X when it came out half a year ago.. until I realized it had some glaring flaws, especially when compared to the Galaxy S III. It was then I decided to wait for another year, but surprise surprise, HTC announces the One X+, which is exactly what the regular One X should have been. What I realized is that if I wait for the HTC Deluxe, HTC will probably announce the Tegra 4 version a few months later, followed by upgraded "+" versions of one of the models or both about half a year later.. you see, if you happen to like devices from HTC, whenever you decide to make a jump to a new device, it will stay on top for 6 months tops.

In the end, I couldn't wait anymore to upgrade from my old HTC Desire, the One X+ is a fantastic device, and I'm confident it will keep me satisfied for quite some time. If you're in a mood to treat yourself with some awesome mobile tech for Christmas, it's really a no brainer, however, if you're not in a hurry, and are willing to wait for maybe another 6 months or so for a new Tegra 4 device, then so be it, but by then you'll probably hear new rumors about even stronger devices from HTC, since they put out devices like the gypsies make babies (at least the ones here in Europe) :D

5. LeoVainio

Well put dackoni! :)

Thanks for taking your time to log in and share your thoughts

I am really interested in the HTC One X+ but there are 2 issues :p i just recently got a $4,200 Alienware system xD and I have a Blackberry, with Blackberry Messenger... which is practically a must have for my girlfriend and I :D

Hmmm, of course I could make it work but... It is super expensive, and I have a functional phone... :S still got 2 weeks til Christmas, will do more investigating before deciding anything haha

6. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

It's the best choice for Tegra optimized games....just don't expect to be playing those games for long [my experience with my tegra One X was 10% battery per 20 minutes game playing and that was only angry birds].I like nVidia stuff [quadro GPU's for work mainly] but I don't think much of the Tegra 3 in this mobile device because of poor battery life in general.
    64GB is nice, imo it needs more ram, Sense gobbles ram like no tomorrow making for background applications constantly disappearing out of ram and having to be reloaded, but it has it's good points too.

Since you don't need anything right now, I'd be inclined to wait until the new year, I'd actually be quite surprised if HTC uses nVidia again given their historical ties with Qualcomm, but could be wrong.
    It seems they've changed the screen color profile with the plus version over the original, for the worse imo, as shown here HTC One X+ vs. HTC One X (Video) | Pocketnow .

@dackoni, have they fixed the low framerate/bitrate on the One X+ video recording, that was the other annoying thing for me with the original, my replacement dual core didn't change the low bitrate but at least can record at over the 21-22fps jerky slideshow my original tegra one X managed.

7. LeoVainio

Thanks weegie :)

Well 10% per 20 mins still adds up to 3.3 hours :p which in my opinion is quite a lot for a phone running such insane games such as the Tegra optimized ones, I mean come on phones used to play games like Snake :D

Besides, during the week I basically go to work then go home... never really 4 hours away from a possible charging place, and I definitely wouldn't play games for over 3 hours straight :p

About the RAM, I don't think it needs more. I'm one of those people who hates having processes running in the background so I'd probably be clearing my RAM quite often...

Personally I think HTC will stick with Tegra, and the color profile doesn't really bother me :p brightness full I wouldn't even notice

Ahh decisions decisions...

8. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

As long as you're happy....so am I :)

There's many good points about the One X that I think you're probably already know, I just like people to know that like every other model it has downsides as well, if it still suits your priorities, all well and good....enjoy.

On the subject of waiting, rumors seem to be split between the HTC M7 having T4 and S4 pro in Q1 2013, so maybe that's worth waiting a little while to find out about, also said to be 5" and no doubt much longer again like the DNA

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

With Jellybean on the One X+ and the Droid DNA, you would probably can't tell the difference of smoothness apart. In high load situations, i would expect the DNA to pull ahead, but the situation has to be very stressful to stutter a 1.7Ghz Tegra 3. Also note that the Tegra 3 is powering a 720p screen while the DNA has to power a 1080p screen, which has more overhead.

In terms of gaming, both appear to be very smooth. There is a theoritical concern some games might not run at the very high resolution of the DNA, but as I said, its theoritical and subject to a case to case basis.

In terms of battery life, I would favor the Qualcomm S4 pro over the Tegra 3, as the Qualcomm chip is made with a more advanced 28nm process compared to 40nm, and smaller transistors means less power used per transistor.

As the Tegra 4 hasn't been officially announced, I would have no idea whats the specs are or how fast it will be. We only know it is likely to use the Cortex A15 core which is arguably even faster than the Qualcomm Krait core. Will HTC adopt one? Despite HTC having excellent relations with Qualcomm, the One X was their first high end phone to go non Qualcomm. HTC isn't doing that well these days, but without the Tegra 3 powered One X, they would have done worst, considering the shortages of the Qualcomm S4 earlier this year that would have greatly affected the shipments. I find it very likely, that HTC will maintain a dual source for its CPUs in the future, as a hedge against over dependence with Qualcomm. But at this point, that HTC will have a Tegra 4 device remains in pure speculation, while the One X+ is already out there with fairly attractive pricing,

10. LeoVainio

There are so many attractive things coming out all the time, and now Tegra 3 is getting pretty old.

But it's Nvidia and 1.7GHz it can run games flawlessly and everything about the One X+ seem absolutely perfect. But then you see the rumors about Tegra 4 etc with 28nm process and Cortex A15, blah blah blah better battery life blah twice the performance..

I feel like... DAMN I want that INSANE power xD but then my rational brain tells me, you won't even notice a difference.. But at least I'd know I have all that... arghh technology stop advancing so quick :p