HTC One-Owners thoughts

Discussion in 'HTC' started by weegie, Nov 16, 2013.

1. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I've had a 32GB Black HTC One for a few weeks now and thought I'd share my thoughts on this model.

Packaging and presentation how it's delivered is very nice with nothing really any different from any other device apart from having a flasher than usual box and some reasonable red themed 'in ear' headphones with an answer button attached.
    My version is a parallel imported model originally intended for the Hong Kong market and as usual has a lagging behind version of Android [4.2.2], even some of the US carrier versions are more current than this example and I read 4.4 isn't far away for some of the more popular English speaking markets, HTC is really trying to address the criticism with updates they've had over the last few years.....except for the versions I get apparently;)

The device itself is also very nice to hold and handle although a bit on the slippery side for my liking, black is a bit of a finger grease magnet and it will mark on the edges leaving bare aluminum silver showing through as the black coating doesn't seem to be durable enough to be a powdercoat or epoxy finish, more like basic paint.I would advise anyone to get the silver one if they can stand the non subtle aluminum color of the silver version as it won't suffer from the same problem.
    The most annoying thing for me with it's design apart from being slightly slippery is the flush camera lens, it's always got fingerprints and goop on it, I've never owned a device worse than this for a dirty camera lens, it makes the choice on the Max version of having the biometric reader just below it utterly idiotic.I've ordered an HTC case for it basically because of these two reasons alone...which is a shame because I hate cases to start with and the "HTC Double Dip" case is only available in a fairly bright "look at me" color HTC Double Dip Overview - HTC Accessories , I'll have to see what can be done with some elastic paint as I like the case [as much as I can like them] otherwise.

Screen as expected is as good as anything else out there, better if you like a natural color profile, brighter than average although not as bright as the One X's panel which is probably the brightest I've seen.The two button on the bottom takes a little bit of getting used to, you can change it in the settings to have long hold home button for the menu, double tap for running applications, one pro of having speaker bezels above and below the screen is that the screen is less likely to get broken from a corner drop.

Speaking of speakers, you won't want to listen to any other phone after using a One with it's dual front firing speakers, honestly, this was a feature that didn't even enter my head pre purchase, in fact it kinda annoyed me they made room for them above and below the screen, but, if I had to say the device has one stand out feature that basically anyone who doesn't have their phone on silent 100% of the time will benefit from...this is it, listening to podcasts, loud, clear and audible notifications, even music is as passable as my notebook, yup, I'm amazed how enthusiastic I'm about these speakers, what a treat, to be enamored about something you didn't know you even cared about.:eek:

The new version of Sense is good, very lightweight feeling next to touchwiz or previous versions of Sense, I've always been a bit of a a fan of Sense's email, messaging software and this version is no exception except it doesn't stutter and lag everywhere in the UI, this version had a bunch of Hong Kong centric software added in...and surprisingly was able to be uninstalled....not disabled...uninstalled :thumbsup:
    FeedBlink I haven't used and just sits to the left of my proper home screen where it doesn't bother, the memory footprint usually is under 500mb which doesn't compare to the Nexus but is a lot less than the previous version of Sense being up around 700-800mb when not even running anything particularly resourceful.....except Sense itself.
    I wouldn't rate the device as completely smooth and instant as the Nexus 4 but for a OEM skinned devices it's very smooth and fast, especially directly compared to the S4 which actually reminds me of what the older HTC Sense devices were like.
    In built music software is great, very logical and easy to achieve what I want plus as is usual for HTC it has FM radio
    HTC sync doesn't seem to include any syncing with outlook now....installed it, tried it, uninstalled it, there's no need to have a media sync when you can just drop music on there and the on device software sorts it admirably, I was kinda hoping the new version of HTC sync was going to be able to sync notes, but it just includes less of anything useful at all now...bummer.

Battery life [two days with light use]is very similar to the Nexus 4, the screen brightness on auto is far more aggressive than the N4 and using it outside in the sun can start chewing through the battery. It has a power saver mode which limits screen brightness, cpu speed and wireless standby, it's still roughly the same as the N4 overall, you just have a slightly brighter screen to go with it.
    Wireless strength is very good, better than the N4 with mobile data and particularly Wifi.

The camera is what I expected, fast and in focus with a capital F, yes you have to put up with lower zoom-ability, the picture below was taken from the balcony of a 1939 vintage railcar at 50mph on a narrow gauge line, any other phone camera would have a ton of blur, the OIS works very well as does the microphone setup, I took a bunch of videos on this train and was amazed with the wind noise that you can still easily hear a conversation, I'm not sure if I have the mic setup pre Nokia's litigation or not but it's exceptionally good for a smartphone.
    The cameras certainly not perfect though, it has typical aggressive HTC auto white balance that can struggle to get an even balance point with sky glare and shadow [as illustrated in the second pic below], mine also has the same problem as a lot of others do in the dark with filling the screen with pink noise, it has to really dark though, I don't know, maybe some people expect it to be like a thermal imaging camera or something because HTC said they wanted it to be better in low light, which it is.

I won't bore anyone with benchmarks or the like but feel free to request/question anything I haven't put in this brief overview or if you want some different pics, they don't seem to look as good in the post as directly on a monitor, but you get the gist anyway.

I meant to cover how well/what with the OTG worked but haven't received my cable and case, but will just add that later on

IMAG0017_BURST003.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    RickAgresta, Mi An, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Nice write-up. It's funny that HTC doesn't seem to learn or carry over lessons learned from other models (like the flush lens). Many nice HTC-made devices have better lens set-ups. Interesting note about the finish. I like the black finish; but you make a great point.

You mention it was a Hong Kong gray-market/parallel import (I think those are the same thing). But doesn't the Chinese model (maybe different from HK) have a card slot?

I'm hoping HTC makes an upgrades model with the card slot from the Chinese model.

3. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Thanks Edmund, yep, it's a bit of an HTC tradition to have at least one thing that makes you wonder, the Nexus 4 and iPhone have flush camera lenses but they are placed in a better position on the corner, the One X camera was quite proud of the rest of the back and it was easy to avoid.Seems like a bit of form over function happening there.
    From what I've read the Chinese version does have a card port, Hong Kong always seem to use international GSM hardware with software for English and various Chinese dialects, HK isn't governed like mainland China, they have their own currency and a different political system, they seem to be letting it just carry on as it was as a British colony, supposedly for the first 20 years anyway.A quite fascinating subject on it's own is HK and China.

The Evleaks of the supposed M8 look to follow the same non removable back cover as the One, but I guess anything could happen between now and when it's reality HTC M8 specs rumored | Pocketnow

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks for the link. I would say that a removable back is not a requirement to include a card slot. The billet could easily be machined to allow for an opening to the interior to insert a card.

I wish HTC would make a updated generic version of the Evo 4G LTE. I thought that was a nice package (and it had a card slot!).

5. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I would've preferred the Evo to the One X but HTC decided to limit their horizons as they often do by making it available on only one US carrier.

You could be right about a slot for the card, they do it with the Butterfly on one version and I think all the Butterfly S models.

I dropped my One twice on gravel today out of my top pocket, I can see 4 dots of silver alloy underneath the black now on the edges, guess I should be thankful that's all that happened being that it was coarse rough gravel.
    The twits I ordered my case and cable from stuffed up the order and it hadn't even shipped as of yesterday, suffice to say they weren't very popular today

6. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I myself picked up a silver HTC One 32Gb. This one is a Sprint edition though and one to replace my Droid DNA, which I moved into GSM use. My provider here sources phones both from Sprint and Verizon, and the Verizon Droid DNA itself replaced a Sprint HTC EVO 3D, which in turn replaced a Verizon Droid Incredible. I will say I am pretty satisfied about this phone, except for the size. I actually liked the 5" size of the DNA more. Nice to see the Google News and Weather app return to HTC once again, as it was missing on the previous ones. This has been a staple app since the Nexus One and only appears with some Nexus (not all) and a few other Android devices (sometimes with Samsung and Sony, sometimes not). I am a bit annoyed though, how Sense switches from vertical panning in the application home screen to horizontal panning to the next generation of Sense, then back again.

I bought an original HTC branded flip case cover designed for the One on the same hour I got my One. This seems to give adequate protection.

I would have particularly wanted a black model, but they didn't have any here.

weegie likes this.
  7. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Do you think the extra length is not worth the much better than average speakers drillbit?

I got a 4.3 upgrade with Sense 5.5 the other day, I hate what they've done with the gallery where you can't hide or delete things you don't want to see like "friends, Drive and Picasa" and the front end is split into an animated, twitching, moving, tiles-esq view of "events", settings option is "get location data automatically"....that's it, what a load of crap, you can eventually get to the view of thumbnailed pics ON YOUR DEVICE but there's now a lot of junk in the road, maybe some people will like it but it's not my idea of efficient, plus it really annoys me they've removed options on an android device.

Was a bit disappointed to find out the device doesn't have enough grunt to spin my 1TB 2.5" hard drive through OTG cable like some of the Samsungs do, the light comes on and starts flashing on the hard drive but no spinning happening, it works fine with a flash stick as it does with a wireless mouse with a cursor appearing.I can't find my usb hub to try multiple things at once but I would think it would work ok with a keyboard and mouse if someone was so inclined.

Drillbit, I was almost going to get the Butterfly S instead, but like the One Max and Mini lacks the OIS in the camera and I really wanted to see if it works as well as some people reckoned, plus the Butterfly has the dual speakers as well now so has also got longer.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I wonder if a powered USB hub would work for the external HD...? I've never had one* so don't know the design/etc.

*my current monitor might, I think, fall into that category -- I'll check tonight if my phone charges when connected to it, when monitor is powered on.

weegie likes this.
  9. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

A powered hub should work fine Rick but comes back to how much 'extra stuff' one can be bothered plugging in to get a certain function, a USB stick is a far more suitable storage device for something with such a small battery anyway, Just had the thought that the other ones I've seen being driven by phones were usb 2 [instead of USB 3.0] enclosures and a lot smaller, I'll have to try and find one of my old portable drives and try it just out of interest.

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

understand what you're saying, weegie, but for my situation, the external USB HD is pretty much always in one place, anyway (plugged into the monitor, too), so if I needed it, it'd work. iirc, the S3 will power an external HD, and that's the 'height of my tech' at this point :D

weegie likes this.