HTC One crashes and battery issues

Discussion in 'HTC' started by Mr Nobody, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mr Nobody

Mr Nobody Newbie

I’m thinking of buying an HTC One, but I’m worried about having a phone where you can’t remove the battery. Android does crash fairly often, so what to do if the system does go down and the power button freezes? Is there another way to do a hard reboot?

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I've never had "frequent crashes" or my power button freezing in 4 years of using Android (The power button stopped working on my Nexus One, but that was a hardware issue). However, yes, you can do a "battery pull" reset if you hold the power button (ignore menu that comes up) until the phone spontaneously reboots. Will tend to sort anything that is acting up.

Samsungs still have removable batteries, but it seems more and more phones are moving away from that, which I think is unfortunate.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

@Hook--I love the new profile picture.

@Mr Nobody--I've been using a Galaxy S3 for about a year now and it hasn't crashed once. I think the people reporting frequent crashes are (1) either using very old devices, not modern Android devices from mainstream manufacturers, or (2) they're playing around with flashing ROMs and the like. If you don't do anything more invasive than just installing different apps from the Play Store, I don't think you'll run into those issues.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I've yet to have a crash on my One or others that I can remember in the last couple of years

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

if by crash, you mean something that *requires* a battery pull to unfreeze the phone, I haven't had many of those, if any (I'm being somewhat generous because there have been times, I'm sure, that I went ahead and did the battery pull rather than continue to wait). I do see screen freezes and spontaneous reboots, usually if I've spent too much time playing Angry Birds and have tried to stream a video after running the music player (on the 4th Tuesday of the 6th month that has an "e" in it..*). also, I find I have less need to do a power-down/power-up cycle with the S3; I imagine this has an impact on resources not being released and ultimately causing problems.

Hook, your 'battery pull' power button procedure -- I don't seem to be able to get that to work on the S3. do you know if that is only for devices with batteries that cannot be removed?

*Fizzbin, anyone? :D

6. Hook

I thought it was a standard Android thing. However, maybe it's a stock (Nexus) Android thing.

It appears Verizon (or maybe Samsung) put it on their menu. In general, software reboots are equivalent to the battery pull as well, but most apps can't do it without root. The ones that do it without root are doing something more along the lines of restarting apps, not the system. Not sure what Verizon or Sammy did to get around that.

Soft Reset - Samsung Galaxy S® III

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Mr Nobody!

I've had a few freezes or crashes on the 4 or 5 Android devices I've used so far in the last 3 years. A few times it's happened at very inconvenient times, but I don't think there's a device that is 100% crash- or freeze-free.

Rick, the power button procedure works on my Samsung Galaxy Ace and I've used it on a Galaxy Mini (both with removable battery). It also works on my Galaxy Player and Xperia Z1, both with non-removable battery. It does take a while, about 10 to 15 seconds holding down the power button before the device will reset.

My Xperia Z1 has a dedicated reset button hidden under the microSIM cover. It's tiny, meaning I need an unfolded clip to press it. Feels like stabbing the device, just like on Palm devices back a few years ago.

EDIT: Ah, Hook may have a point here... All my Android devices I mentioned above are rooted.. I have no idea if the power button trick will work on unrooted devices.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  8. Hook

Actually, that's the thing. The power button hold *is* supposed to work without root because it triggers a function built into the system without giving access to a third party (app maker). Verizon may have created a software trigger for the system function.

9. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Holding the button works on my HTC One, you get a dialogue box with choices first but will reboot if you keep holding the power button down anyway, mine isn't rooted.
    I imagine there could be problems with a sealed battery and no way to force a reboot, like having to wait until the battery exhausted itself