HTC Inspire 4G Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jen Edwards, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen Edwards

Jen Edwards PocketGoddess

The HTC Inspire 4G is the latest Android phone offered by AT&T. It has an impressive list of features, with a large 4.3-inch super LCD touchscreen display, a 1GHz processor, 4GB of memory and a microSD card slot, an 8 megapixel camera with 720p HD video capture, and a personal hotspot feature.

It's aggressively priced at just $100 with a new two-year service contract, but how does it measure up? Read on to find out.

Read the full content of this Article: HTC Inspire 4G Review

Related Articles:

Samsung Focus Review

Nokia N8 Review

Dell Streak Review

HTC Aria Review

Samsung Captivate Review

HP Veer Review: A Tiny Titan

Motorola Atrix 4G Review

Motorola Atrix 4G Hands-on Preview

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. gticlay

gticlay Mobile Enthusiast

I just have a hard time believing this phone can last 3 days on one charge. How different is it from the EVO and why does the EVO only last 1?

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Wow. That review may be enough to make me switch from Verizon to ATT! Amazing that ATT beat Verizon to the punch, since the Thunderbolt is expected to be quite similar to this phone; but I think it was announced earlier.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

It might be a great phone, but it's still AT&T (Re: ATT, Android and side loading). Maybe get an unbranded version (which doesn't exist yet, as far as I know) and a PAYGO plan.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

AT&T is grabbing everything, including just about everything Android, since the Iphone exclusivity is gone. They don't seem to mind taking on WP7, either.

I'm afraid I haven't yet seen a device that would make me switch carriers. It might be OK in the metros but outside of town, coverage is paramount. The best device in the world might as well be just an unconnected PDA if you go off the grid.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

It's incredibly hard to define an exact metric for battery life on a smartphone. Too much goes into the equation--not just battery size, device speed, and screen brightness, but also how often you're using the data connection, signal strength, whether you're using push email, which sort of data technology you're using (2.5G/3G/4G, GSM versus CDMA versus WiMAX versus LTE), etcetera.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that a device like the Inspire might get 3 days of use for one person in one situation, but someone in a different position might find it needing a recharge two thirds of the way through the day. Take these figures more as a kind of guidebook, particularly with regard to how the review writer feels the battery life is, than as a solid set of guarantees.

7. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The differences are under the hood.

The EVO uses the first generation Qualcomm 8250 Snapdragon. Its made with a 65nm process.

The Inspire uses the second generation Qualcomm 8255 Snapdragon. Its made with a 45nm process.

You got smaller transistors in the CPU (proper name is SoC) of the Inspire, and that means lower voltage and less power used per transistor.

Devices that use SoCs with a 45nm process generally beat those using the older process. The difference is quite perceptible with my Desire Z vs. the Droid Incredible.

The Inspire has two other perks. One, the GPU used on the Inspire is a lot faster than the EVO's. You're going to see faster framerates on games and live wallpapers.

The second is the HTC Sense on the Inspire is the third generation. Again, its quite a big jump over the second gen Sense used on the EVO.

8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

If you think about it, Verizon might charge you $250 for the Thunderbolt and AT&T is going to charge you $99 for the Inspire. Both are roughly the same phones. LTE is faster than HSPA+ but in real world use, you are not likely to reach not anywhere near their full potential.

I think AT&T pulled a neat curve ball to Verizon here.

9. gticlay

gticlay Mobile Enthusiast

Then it's an AMAZING difference between the 8250 and 8255. I just noticed the Inspire has only a 1250mah battery and I am using 1800mah batteries in my EVO. As a test yesterday I didn't charge my phone at all during the day and even with 4g, GPS, and wifi turned off it only lasted 8am to about 6pm before going into the red. WIth the stock battery, it's even worse. The reviewer was using hotspot, 4G, GPS, and more during those 3 days. WOWSER. :eek:

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Sounds like you have the Chevelle SS396 of smartphones.

I can't imagine using a device that won't comfortably get through at least a day with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Well, maybe not GPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.