HTC Desire

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by antonm, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonm

antonm Earthling

Back to BH after a long dry spell! :)

Two TXs (that was a cracking bit of kit, pity Palm execs went walkabout) later, I now have a Desire, but it seems there's no home for Desire owners yet, in BH? I'm sure there will soon be, though.

Is there any easy way of getting my contacts out of my TX and into my Desire. (I don't use Outlook in any form, anywhere.)

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

You may be able to send using BT, though I've never tried it. I don't remember if Palmdesktop offers export formats. If it exports as CSV, you can import them into Gmail contacts. Again, no idea how smooth it is. Luckily, I used Outlook all these years and keep a set of everything in Google.

3. antonm

antonm Earthling

Hello Hook! Nice to see a familiar avatar!

BT failed. HTCD and TX saw each other and apparently paired, but HTCD then reported TX not connected, and TX seemed to be in a loop, and crashed when the transfer was cancelled.

Will try the desktop export.

Many thanks!

4. Hook

5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Welcome back, Anton! :D

Jump into the forum Hook linked - Join the growing community in the HTC world. :)

I don't really have any suggestions for your data migration other than those already suggested. I did my migration locally through OL, which was actually quite easy. Short of that, however, I simply have no experience. I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions, though.

BH is somewhat quiet on the weekends nowadays, so be patient if you don't get a lot of response for a couple of days.

Best of luck with the new device! If it is, indeed, in the same family as Hook's new Nexus One, I hope you're as happy with it as he is with his. :newpalm:

Joe

6. antonm

antonm Earthling

Thanks Joe, it's really nice to be back -- the BH people are really knowledgeable, and very helpful!

I see the forum Hook linked now sports "HTC Desire" in its header :newpalm:

The Palm Desktop indeed exports as CSV, so I need to experiment a bit with how Gmail wants to consume it. Good time to get rid of a lot of dross!

I'll still be hanging on to the TX, at least until Pimlico makes a version of DateBk for Android! Or is there something as good or better for Android yet? (Something tells me that's a silly question...)

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I don't know what's out there currently, but I suspect nothing to compete with DB. When I moved to WinMo last year, I went with Pocket Informant, which is close. I can't say it equals DB6, but it's as good as you'll get. I've heard rumors that WebIS is working on a version for Android, so you might keep an eye on that.

8. antonm

antonm Earthling

Cheers Joe -- I'm sure someone will come up with something truly amazing!

9. Hook

Pimlical now syncs with Google Calendar (CESD has a Droid, I believe), though they are still working out a few bugs. I would expect Android to be the first platform he makes a handheld app for, but he is still keeping his cards close to his chest. If you want to follow progress, join the Pimlical Yahoo group. I don't use it, just saying (I wasn't a Datebk6 user either).

Pocket Informant is working on an Android version (Alex has a Nexus One), but no word on when-- it is still in very early development.

Currently, my choices are Calendar Pad Pro, Tasks Pro and 3Banana Notes. The default Android contacts app is fine and is integrated with phone and messaging.

10. antonm

antonm Earthling

Thanks, Hook. Encouraging that CESD has a Droid -- apps can't be far behind!

I use Goosync to sync my Palm's calendar (for which DateBk is a fancy front-end) with my Google calendar, and then of course my HTC syncs itself with that. Bit roundabout, but it works -- for now. I know I'm an old dinosaur but I've gotten really used to DateBk. I can see myself one day wearing a bandolier with a dozen differenr PDAs, none of which I'm willing to give up! I've still got a Revo, and a 3a!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.