HTC Desire not booting

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible, Google Nexus One, HTC Desire' started by abenn, Jul 18, 2014.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Without any prior warning my HTC Desire (original model, about 5 years old now) won't boot up. When I press the power button it vibrates once and shows the white screen with HTC logo, but won't go any further. It also won't respond to any button pushes, so I have to remove the battery to power it down.

I've followed the results of an on-line search to try and do a factory reset (hold down-volume and power button until a 3-androids screen appears), but the menu that comes up only shows FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, CLEAR STORAGE, and SIMLOCK options. No FACTORY RESET option, that the search results say should be there. If I select RECOVERY, it just vibrates and goes to the white HTC screen. If I select FASTBOOT it goes to a boot menu, but none of the options there (BOOTLOADER, REBOOT, REBOOT BOOTLOADER, and POWER DOWN) solve my problem, though POWER DOWN does what it says, without having to remove the battery.

So, any suggestions please as to how I can do a factory reset, if indeed that's the correct solution to my problem? The battery's about 50% charged -- I was charging at the time, when I tried to switch it on and I encountered this problem for the first time.

2. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

According to these instructions, the Factry reset is under CLEAR STORAGE.

Hope that solves your problem and you don't have a more serious hardware problem. The Desire is getting pretty long in tooth. ;)

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thank you hook. The reset went okay, and it rebooted automatically after 5 seconds. But still the same result :-(

So I guess it's time for a new phone :)

As it happens I'm visiting the same country as I was four years ago when I had a slightly different problem with the same phone, which resulted in it having to go back to HTC for repair. Maybe that's why Samsung and Apple seem to be the predominant makes here.

4. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Let us know what you end up with. :)

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Heart says HTC One M8 but, given that nobody locally is familiar with HTC (and I visit here annually), head says Samsung S5, which seems to be widely available.

Edit: The Samsung got my money this afternoon! Nice thing is it's cheaper here than at home in UK, due to lower tax and a very strong pound. I'm going to need a little while to get used to it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014