HP Slate 7 Closeout - Trying to resist making an impulse purchase

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Jun 30, 2013.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Unless I've missed the fine print, add another $37 (or more) for a Service Plan -- missing is entirely possible, since I'm doing this on my S3.

I don't recall what you'd want to run on the Chromebook, but that's certainly a consideration, as is kb vs no kb.

Other than that, looks sweet!

3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I can resist it cause I already bought another tablet. lol

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I was able to add it to my cart without a service plan. (No, I didn't buy it-- just a test). I think the service plan is optional. Don't know anthing about the reputation of the device or how good HP is with updates.

Here is a review you might want to check out to see the trade-offs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gBAcYAfJMQ&feature=player_embedded#at=286

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

6. LandSurveyor

Good review, and thanks for sharing it. So it's a bargain tablet with good-looking build quality but a less-than-great display. The performance benchmarks are fine with me since I'm not a gamer anyway.

Still likin' the card slot vs. the Nexus 7 but the 3mp camera..... would have to call that a gimme at best.

This is probably one of those situations where I dither until it doesn't make any difference.

The Chromebook has a Kindle app but can't find a Nook app for my magazine subscriptions.

Then there's those supposedly upcoming Androidbooks....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    scjjtt likes this.
  7. LandSurveyor

Here's a fairly unvarnished, thorough review:
    Review HP Slate 7 Tablet - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

I noticed there and in some other reviews a certain "it is what it is" perspective. Essentially the 7" market is going to mostly inexpensive devices and some excel at some features and others have other high points. It gets down to what you want most.

I spent some time this morning with a Nexus 10. My overall impression was that I still prefer my Touchpad for overall usability, surprisingly. I don't know if this is due to the special Samsung touches or not. My Samsung smartphone seems less fiddly.

8. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

If you wait a little, we have a review coming out (written by me) of the Sero 7 Pro by Hisense. I haven't used a Slate 7, but frankly I have to say that I think the S7 Pro would be worth the extra $20, since it has a better screen, better processor, and better camera. Plus, that's the regular price, so any sales or coupons would bring it down further.

9. LandSurveyor

I will indeed wait and be glad to read your impressions. The specs I've read sound better but I want to see what you think about build quality. Also let us know about this manufacturer (distributor) and how well they will support their product.

10. LandSurveyor

I did some further investigation today. The HP is sold in Office Depot for the same price and it didn't appear to be a sale price. Incidentally, Office Depot has quite a selection of tablets.

Then I looked at a Nook HD. Same price, better screen and now with Google Play. You can even get the Kindle app on it. Then my brother rained on that parade. He says the current Nooks are about to be replaced because B&Nis going to make some sort of deal with M$.

At least we have lots of choices.