1. We will be doing some work to upgrade the forum platform and add new features and style options beginning at 10 a.m. EST on Tuesday, September 23 and lasting for approximately 30 minutes. This will include about 10 minutes of site downtime and another 10-20 minutes where the forum will be read-only (no new posts allowed). We'll take down this message once work is complete.

HP Lays Off Hundreds of Former Palm Employees Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

This is so wrong. They thought that hp was rescuing them. How come CEOs don't get laid off with nothing? Even Borders' execs were getting bonuses after the last store closed, "Here you go. Nice job sticking it to your employees. Here's something to tide you over until you ruin another company."
  3. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Couldn't agree with your statement more
  4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I think that the first wrong step was that Palm itself, as a whole corporation, had put itself in the first place, in the condition of needing to be rescued. Geez I'll never be over it, Palm had everything to keep at the top of the mobile world. Anyway, each of those employees, as common individuals, couldn't have solved what their leaders weren't solving, and then the second mistake was placing execs that after a while were still delivering expectations and not results. I mean, when a ship is sinking, you don't need to bloat how wonderful it would be to build another ship. The third mistake was HP's. I don't buy that crap that all of a sudden HP figures out that mobile is just not a good business. How much did they pay for Palm? Is that what their stakeholders deserve, a hesitation in the order of millions of dollars? I think that such a decision must have met a lot of considerations throughout the recent times until something specific triggered it.

That said, just like r0k I think that the common employees didn't deserve that either. All of a sudden, it comes to me like this was all part of the plan from the beginning. Hey we need to deduct taxes, and we gotta get over with before the yearly report comes in, so get yourself some mid-success thingy that we don't mind cutting to pieces during a firesale. The employees? ah, never mind, that's what they get for keeping themselves as commoners :( Anyway, you and me and the rest of the executive officers, we're getting wonderful bonuses.
  5. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

An unconfirmed report in the WSJ says HP might dump Leo Apotheker as CEO. Speaking as a webOS user, I can't blame them.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I heard that as well. Maybe justice will be done this time.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

He's going to prison, too? :cool:
  8. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

It would be fitting. It would be one thing if Leo had come in with suggestions that HP needed to become SAP, but the fact is he went wide pushing the consumer side (January 27, 2011 E Week article) and then bailed way too quickly, tanking HP's stock price.

Even if you felt Leo was right about the direction needed for the company, his execution has been awful. Quick action by the board would be welcome, because splitting the company by channel will be an awful mistake and there is too much history around not to believe that.
  9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

HP has a bad, bad, bad record with senior management. Carly Fiorina who drove the place into the ground, Patricia Dunn who got dumped for illegal spying, Mark Hurd who got nailed on sexual misconduct, and now Apotheker.

The only ones who haven't been chased out of town are the interim people, Robert Wayman and Cathie Lesjak.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Why does this behavior remind me of the good old "Greed Is Good" 80s, when corporate raiders would swoop in, raid pension funds and then move on to the next victim - er, um, opportunity? Raider, CEO with golden parachute, tomayto, tomahto ... :rolleyes:

Employees are inconsequential, worth less than zero.

I am disgusted.
  11. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Raiders... now that term fits in here so snug that you can't think all these events could obey a good nature. Raiders, racketeers, mobsters, all of them loot on funds they didn't raise. In much of the digital tech world, I am kinda disappointed with current events, like corporations raising their market value leveraging on lawsuits and bloated patent infringement claims, or putting on the top chair somebody that worked with the competitor and all of a sudden behaves like a newbie (perhaps their employers figured he would share secrets like if there were no NDAs), or everybody trying to move into the software business like if we needed no hardware at all to use said software. Raising their market value, essentially with speculation, instead of truly innovating and increasing sales rates.

So for them, employees are expendable assets :mad:
  12. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

Here is a link to a story about just how insane the hiring process for this fool was: Surprising Revelations About HP's Board

It's probably also a clear indication that they are screwed from this point.
  13. Adama D. Brown

The Wall Street Journal is now reporting that HP is going to bring in Meg Whitman as the replacement CEO.

Call me crazy, but when you're worried about financial mismanagement and huge monetary losses, why would you turn to someone who spent $143 million dollars on a failed campaign to become Governor of California?
  14. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

At least it was her own money, in large part...
    She seems to have done well at eBay, and hey! she imported the Teletubbies
  15. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

She might be the top person available to take that job. Who would take that job? Even with the crazy parachute when they fire you in a year, who could possibly want this job?

This job is a referendum on Leo's failed push to a new direction, but turning that around, in the public's eye, is going to be hard, hard work. Working for a crazy board that let go Mark Hurd for innuendo and couldn't be bothered to interview his replacement.

Meg has to come in and say, "we are going to stay around in the PC business, though now we have made our competition stronger in a market that has become thoroughly commoditized." She has to decide what to with WebOS, a brilliant product that has left a trail of destruction in its path.

Mostly she needs to move quickly and make sure all the blame gets hung on the outgoing guy and not the people who hired him. Also, Leo is the guy who brought her to the board.

Awesome stuff.
  16. r0k

r0k Dazed

Worse than that, she also worked (briefly) for Goldman Sachs. That's a stain on any resume.:eek:

Wow. Just wow. Yes HP is screwed.
  17. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

I'd like a reference on that Goldman tidbit. Maybe she was briefly on the board, but I don't think she ever worked there.

And I think your opinion of GSCO is tainted by the media, which knows next to nothing.
  18. Adama D. Brown

I'll take it. I couldn't possibly do the job any worse than the last few people they've had unless I started shooting the customers.
  19. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

Har! Virtual reps, sir!!
  20. Adama D. Brown

eBay certainly flourished under her administration, but the general consensus of most of the histories of eBay which have been written is that that is owed entirely to the fact that the internet exploded during that time period, and eBay had the luck to become the de facto online auction site. Basically, the position taken by most of the former eBay people is that they could have done exactly as well as they did with two slices of burnt whole wheat toast for a CEO. ;)