HP Buys Palm

Discussion in 'webOS' started by questionfear, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

My two cents on this would be no.

There are two threads going on the latest Steve Jobs statement on why there will be no flash for the Iphone, Ipod Touch, or the Ipad.

Why not two threads on this important topic?

Then again, I am just a member and not one who makes them kind of decisions.

David

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I'm not suggesting to kill diversity, David, I'm suggesting to gather the subject; lately I've been feeling as if Brighthand were two separate places. There's a conversation that sparks from an announcement, and there may be an almost cloned conversation running elsewhere. I think two threads are good as long as they follow totally different features or aspects of the same subject, but if they only add thread count to the forum, they actually don't add a value to the knowledgepot.

Both conversations are interesting but running on the same line. And, those two threads about Jobs, I suggest the mods to merge them. Of course, David, I'm just a member as well. As far as it goes, no mod has replied, whether in favor or against.

3. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

My point was the two threads on the flash issue were nearly identical in tone and discussion, much like the two you propose to have merged.

I do agree with what you say, I am not a fan of an announcement post and then a discussion thread about the announcement post.

The bouncing around, for me, is a little silly.

My point in my post above was that if there are going to be multiple threads going, and allowed on one topic, maybe allowing the others to stay open is a good thing.

I do happen to think, and the mods have done a good of this in the past, to merge the threads you and I both talk of.

David

4. hal

I wasn't thinking on the Job's threads, and certainly I figure the same criteria may apply, whether it's to leave them separate or merge them.

At no instant, David, did I suggest you don't think. I don't jump into threads to insult. Whether your opinion matches mine, or not, I consider it valuable and respectable.

5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

hal, you were thrown off by some missing syntax. David embedded a phrase, set off by commas in the sentence "I do happen to think to merge the threads you and I both talk of." The text was a little garbled but I think was intended as "I do think we should merge the threads. and the mods have done a good job with this in the past" He was not countering an insult. :)

6. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

Thanks Hook, you are right in my intent.

I was just thinking this thread should be merged with the other thread and the two threads on Steve Jobs thoughts on flash should be merged into one.

Apologies if my wording was not clear, I never thought there was intent to insult.

Maybe time for a weekend break, for me.

David

7. hal

Now that you point it out I see it all clear. Thank you very much, pirate :eek:

Now it's my turn to apologize, for my own post is the unpolite one. I have to read more carefully before replying. Sorry, David.

8. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

Hal, we're good here, no need to apologize.

Just glad things were straightened out.

David

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm with Hal on this one. It's a big pet peeve of mine (less so here, where the boards are, on the whole, very well tended and organized) that I have to waste relatively large amounts of time reading redundant posts and comments because some people feel that they have to start their own thread. Just last night I noticed someone who deliberately stated on IMDB that they were starting a redundant thread because they wanted to be sure their comment was read and he/she didn't feel people 'read to the bottom' of threads! Talk about self-centered and egocentric! That's why I can't stand the 'Lost' IMDB board or Mad Men board. As the show airs, 10 pages of threads appear almost instantly, more than half redundant.

Like Harpgliss, I'm not a fan of the dual-posting of the announcement or headline and then the discussion of said announcement/headline; but Ed Hardy explained that Google rankings made it a necessity. So be it. I was similarly annoyed about the past practice (seemingly abandoned) of, at the end of weekends, re-posting headlines and Forum items for those who visited BH less frequently. The dual-posting seems to have supplanted that practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.