How to use RealPlayer on Tungsten E2?

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by abenn, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

After lugging some of my wife's CDs around the world so she can listen wherever we are, it's just dawned on me that I can play music through my Tungsten E2 using RealPlayer.

I've just experimented so far by creating MP3 files from some music already on my PC, copying it to an SD card, and using RealPlayer on my Tungsten to listen to it. So far I've got 4 tracks on the card, and when I press the play button RealPlayer plays them all in sequence.

What I really want to know before I go out and buy one or more SD cards is, should I buy a large one (let's say 8Gb or so) that will accomodate ALL my music, or should I buy smaller ones and treat each SD card as a separate CD?

If I put all my collection on one SD, how do I use RealPlayer to select which tracks I want to listen to at a particular time? At the moment it just cycles through the 4 I've got on the card, and I don't seem to be able to assign tracks to a Playlist, even though I have been able to create and name a Playlist.

Lastly, should I even be playing with RealPlayer? Is there some other sofware more suited to the Tungsten which will give me flexible playback options?
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Be advised that you won't be able to use a large SD card on the E2, because this model only supports cards up to 1GB. To use larger cards (including SDHC cards of 4GB and more) you need a 3rd-party program called PowerSDHC.

My opinion is that it's best to use a single large card instead of several small ones. Just copy all your music there and create several playlists under RealPlayer (assuming you can create them, I haven't used RealPlayer in several years).

You're right, there are several other music players with more features than RealPlayer. Pocket-Tunes, Aeroplayer, and Kinoma Player are generally regarded as the best music players for PalmOS devices. But Aeroplayer's development stopped a couple of years ago, so it's falling behind other players which are still being improved. You may want to try Pocket-Tunes, I'm sure you'll find it much better than RealPlayer, and it does have a comprehensive playlist editor. I haven't tested Kinoma Player in a long time, co I can't comment on it.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Thanks for the heads-up about the 1GB limit, raspabalsa.

I've tried to create a playlist with RealPlayer, and in fact have done so and named it. But I can't then see any menu which allows me to place tracks into the list, so it's empty at the moment.

I'll give Pocket-Tunes a try, and see how I get on with that.
  4. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

I'm using the trial version of Pocket-Tunes now, and it does everything I want. Thanks again, raspabalsa.

I've also had a look at the PowerSDHC site, but I'm not sure whether to go that route too. I think I'll start with 1GB (or 500Mb) cards with 1 or 2 albums or artist per card, and see how it goes. My cameras use the same cards, so they won't be wasted if I upgrade to SDHC later.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Today I've invested in a pair of in-ear type earphones (Gumy by JVC) and I'm very disappointed at the amount of hiss I'm hearing. It's not in the recordings -- though they're not perfect -- because I hear it when there's no tune selected.

It appears to be constant volume because, when I turn the music volume up using the volume control on the Pocket-Tunes screen, it gets drowned out to the point where I don't hear it. But at that point the music volume is much higher than I want to listen to for any period of time.

Is this background hiss normal with the E2, and is it the same with other Palm models? If so, I'm wasting my time trying to get half-decent sound reproduction with Palm, and I might as well bite the bullet and get a dedicated music player.

Or is there some trick with the earphones? I see that mine are specified as 108dB/1mW -- does that mean that if I buy some that are less dB per mW I'll be able to turn the volume up higher without hurting my ears, and drown out the hiss that way?
  6. raspabalsa

Sadly, most, if not all, Palm models are known for the hiss in the headphones. Obviously, this also depends on the user's hearing perception, but also on the headphones. This hiss is an artifact of the Palm's amplifier circuit, so you're right, it's a constant volume hiss.

Headphones with higher impedances tend to reduce the hiss. Most headphones have impedances of either 16 ohm or 32 ohm. See if yours are 32 ohm, if not, try to change them, and if possible, test while shopping.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Thanks, raspabalsa. Unfortunately there's nothing to tell me what their impedence is. I'll see if I can find a high-impedence pair to try out -- these ones were an impulse buy and they only cost £4.99, so nothing much is lost.
  8. raspabalsa

At that price I think you can't expect much audio quality. Try to look for higher-end headphones, and be sure to test them with your E2 before purchasing. I use US$20 Sony headphones, they have an impedance of 16ohm but sound quality is good enough for my hearing although I notice a slight hiss. I've been thinking about getting better headphones, but I don't mind the slight hiss.
  9. petetx

petetx Newbie

JFI: To make a playlist in Realone player (1.1):

1. Tap [Playlists]
    2. Tap [New]
    3. Enter Name of Playlist
    4. Tap [Add...] select songs for list by checking boxes
    5. Tap [Done]
    6. Tap [Done]

To play a Playlist:

1. Tap [Playlists]
    2. Tap playlist name (opens song list)
    3. Tap a song to start playing

It is a bit clunky but works (I had to read the help file before I got it ;))
  10. reb1

reb1 Mobile Evangelist

If you want good quality sound without the palm hiss a bluetooth stereo headset will work on the E2 if you use an aftermarket application. Palm does not have the proper software by itself to produce stereo sound over bluetooth. Softick Audio Gateway allows this. There is a compatibility list of headsets that will work on there web site.
    http://www.softick.com/bluetooth-audio/
  11. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

That looks promising, reb1, though the on-line manual says that with my E2 it only supports "low quality" mode. I'll see what I can find here in the way of compatible headsets.

Update: I've just found a cable to connect the E2 earphone socket to the Aux input of my early-1970s Pioneer amplifier, and the sound quality is quite acceptable. No hiss whatsoever, even with the treble turned right up. So, seems like the key, as others have suggested, may be finding a pair of earphones with suitably high impedance.
  12. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Thanks, petetx.
  13. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

I've just got a pair of in-ear headphones with 64-ohms impedence, and the hiss is significantly reduced. They're Sennheiser Sport II, and they cost me £25 at John Lewis. "Sweat and water resistant", and a 2-year warranty! They sound okay too ;-)
  14. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

thanks for the update :newpalm:
  15. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Raspabalsa, are you sure about the 1GB SD card limit with the E2? My local shop doesn't stock anything less than 2GB, and the guy there reckons if a device can handle 1GB it can handle 2GB.

The PowerSDHC site you linked to also suggests that Palm can handle 2GB.
  16. raspabalsa

Yes, the limit is real. Out of the box the E2 can only handle 1GB cards for read and write operations. I *think* it will read 2GB cards, but won't be able to write to them, or will only be able to write to the initial part of them. The limitation is not hardware, but software, which is why the guy at the store finds it strange it won't work with 2GB cards.

I don't see where PowerSDHC suggests the E2 can work with 2GB cards. What I think it says is that Palms in general top up at 2GB. This is true, but with some exceptions, among them the E2 and several other older models too. For reasons unknown, Palm saw fit to limit these models to 1GB. You can check this thread to see the limits for every Palm model.

As I said in my earlier thread, your only choice is to purchase powerSDHC.
  17. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Thanks, raspabalsa. You're right, the PowerSDHC site doesn't mention the E2 specifically -- it was a general comment about a range of Palm products.

I don't really want to spend money on Power SDHC, so I think I might as well buy a 2GB card and see if my E2 will read it. I'll be recording to it on my PC, so if my E2 can only read it, that should be okay. If it doesn't work, I suppose I can use the card in my camera instead.
  18. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

I thought that the same company that makes the powerSDHC program made a freeware app that let E2's use 2 GB cards? And isn't the E2 NOT supported by power SDHC? Check that first too if you are going to buy it.
  19. raspabalsa

The E2 is supported by powerSDHC. Check here for details.

Dmitry has two other programs that help with big cards, but I'm not sure if using any will allow the E2 to read 2GB cards (which is why I hadn't mentioned before). One of these is the FAT32 driver, the other is called "T3 - big cards". This last one allows the T3 to fully use a 2GB or 4GB (non SDHC) card, but I don't know if it works on the E2.
  20. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

There's a tweak that I used on my TX that dramatically reduced hiss with any earphones. Technically, all it did was adjust the master volume downward, I think, but the effect was impressive and the loss of volume was pretty minimal.

I know this is an old post, and I can't quite remember what the tweak was called, but I seem to recall it was french in origin. I'll try to look for it sometime this week. You may not need it with your new headphones, but maybe someone who googles this thread will appreciate it.

Edit: that was easier to find than I thought