How to Upgrade to the TX from a Previous Palm

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Dick Tracy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. KatJensDad

KatJensDad Mobile Consultant

Thanks. I'll try that.

However, in the meantime I tried to sneak up on it. I installed 4.1.4 on my Vista-based laptop, synced with the 650, then updated with 4.2, and synced the TX. The idea was to get it working on the Vista machine, then on the XP machine, just uninstall Palm and install 4.2 as a fresh, rather than update, install.

First time, seemed to work, but the calendar, memos, and tasks were those of over a year ago.

Hard reset, uninstalled all, reinstalled all -- now everything seems to be there (well, there are some memos that I had previously deleted, but all the ones I need are still there), but I'm getting the SYS 0505 0841 error when I try to access any application. Hit OK and I can still do everything, but it's annoying. I understand the error is usually due to MyPalm or MyHand or MyTreo, but they don't appear to be on the device, searching by Menu or FileZ.

During Desktop installation, the installer wanted access to the Internet and couldn't find it (even though I'm connected) -- I told it to proceed without accessing. That's the only thing I can think of, that it needed to download a file that it couldn't, and now gives the error message.

Are we having fun yet?

2. KatJensDad

Sigh. Okay, tried the suggestions on that other thread -- basically, delete everything, hard reset, start over. Did all that.

Nope -- still getting the message that the installer can't access the Internet (Internet is -- obviously -- accessible, as I'm doing it now). Finally get to hotsync, and, in addition to the 0505 error... uh, wait a minute.

Playing with the TX now, everything seems to be working. Um. VolumeCarePro gives me the 0505 error. Google Maps forces a reset.

Just did a second hotsync -- in both the initial sync and this one, I get this:

Note Pad synchronization failed

Media synchronization failed

Documents To Go Message(s)
    Error accessing Documents To Go user information.
    You must first open the Documents To Go desktop application, select the appropriate handheld user, and synchronize again.
    Error accessing Documents To Go database

But aside from what's mentioned here above, the handheld seems to be working now. Apparently, there's something online that will allow VolumeCarePro, Google Maps, and the those things failing sync to actually work.

Ack. Should I just delete Google Maps and VolumeCarePro?

3. KatJensDad

Okay, so the solution turned out to be:

On the TX, delete VolumeCare Pro and GoogleMaps.
    On the Vista machine, delete associated backup files for these two above.
    Sync the TX on the Vista machine -- now all my info is on the TX.
    Uninstall Palm Desktop from the XP machine.
    Install Desktop 4.2 ONLY (not 4.1.4, then 4.2 over it) on the XP machine.
    Sync with TX.
    Open Docs to Go through Desktop and tell it to install on TX.
    Sync again.
    Now both machines and TX are up-to-date, and have survived multiple syncs with no problems

Thanks for the help.

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Congrats and thanks for posting your path to success. :)

5. Slo_learner

Slo_learner Newbie

My palm IIIxe finally (sadly) died so i bought a Z22 since all i need is a pda and i need my historical calendar, addresses, etc. Attempts to auto load the Z22 software weren't successful.

i followed the directions on the Brighthand page (renaming the Backup folder, copying it to the desktop, etc) and then tried running the autoinstall from the CD that came with the Z22. i keep getting error number 0x80040702, description: Failed to load DLL: HSAPI. even after turning off the firewall and virus software. What's worse is that my old Palm Desktop now claims that there are no users.

thanks for your kind and patient tutoring.

6. Calgary01

Calgary01 Newbie

I'm new here. I've just ordered a TX. My wife has a Zire 31. Can we have both handhelds synched to the same computer?

7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yes. They just cannot have the same Hotsync name.

Welcome to Brighthand, Calgary01. :)

8. mpavlansky

mpavlansky Newbie

I've been running a Palm T3 for the last 6 years ( and a Visor prior to that). I purchased a used TX and wanted upgrade my T3 which is on it's last legs. I sync my data to my device between Outlook nightly and got my data from my Visor to the T3 using Chapura's Pocket Mirror. That pulled all my several years worth of memos into Outlook.

The desktop OS I'm running is windows xp pro.

I hard reset my TX, then proceeded with the well written "How to Upgrade to the TX from a Previous Palm" piece. When I went to sync the data, the process seems to have gotten stuck.

When I go to sync the TX, my PC begins to give me a three tone (da-da-da) instead of the typical two tone (da-DA) when the sync button is pushed. The tone continues to repeat every 20 seconds or so, but doesn't sync. I can get the tone to stop when I cancel the sync process and physically disconnect the device from the USB cable.

Meanwhile, the new desktop has been loaded on my PC, and now my T3 won't sync (which was expected). When I try to reinstall the previous desktop and start all over, the older Palm desktop won't overwrite the newer TX version.

I'm sure someone has a great idea I can use to break through this upgrade.

9. dawillis

dawillis Newbie

I have serious upgrade problem. My old m100 died - really died- hard reset, prayer, etc, nothing worked. My daughter took pity and gave me her less-old z22. I installed the software, works okay, but can't seem to import my old data. Any help would be greatly appreciated [go slowly, my technosavy is as out of date as my m100 was].

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

welcome to Brighthand, dawillis

it'll help us help you if you tell us about your desk/lap top: what is the operating system? also, what version of the Palm Desktop did you install?