How to Upgrade to the TX from a Previous Palm

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Dick Tracy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Installation CD for TX has some features in Palm Desktop that aren't available in v.4.1.4. When I got a TX I used the Installation CD Desktop even though v.4.1.4 was working fine and continue to use it for my Zire 71, also.

There's also an issue with Hotsync drivers and TX, IIRC. The correct stuff is on the Installation CD.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

On the other hand, in deference to my Alphasmart Dana, I use Palm desktop 4.1.0 with my TX and I don't seem to miss anything.

Then again, I don't really use Palm desktop (I only open it when someone has a question). I sync with Outlook using Pocket Mirror, I use GRXview (freeware) rather than media, etc. etc. :)

3. lelisa13p

Arrgh, [​IMG], I remember how you held my hand when I did the TX CD/Hotsync dance two summers ago ;) ; since the Upgrading Member might have a fondness for Palm Desktop, he should be aware that there's a bit of difference involved. :)

4. KatJensDad

KatJensDad Mobile Consultant

I do have a fondness for Desktop -- it's simple, I understand it, and it works; I require nothing else. I was under the impression that 4.1.4E was the same as 4.2 (so says Palm), but the comments I'm seeing here convince me that when it arrives, I should just follow the steps at the top of the thread.

Shane

5. lelisa13p

Please let us know if you have any problems; also if your transition is smooooth. ;)

6. KatJensDad

Should've known.

Got to step 4, to where it says "sync," pushed the sync button -- computer started insisting it "could not load the installer for the hardware." It kept asking me to insert the disc (it was), to tell it where to look for the installation software (I did), all while playing those little tones that tell you you've inserted a USB device and taken it out; in, out, in, out (the tones), until the device gives up trying to sync.

Tried restarting. Nuthin'.

Started the Desktop software, just to look -- it still thinks it's 4.1.4.

Any advice?

(By the way, how do you get the damn hotsync cable out of the TX? It's in there pretty tight, and I'm afraid to force it -- it's inserted with the hotsync button up -- screen-side.)

7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

This would indicate the driver for the TX is not installed on your PC platform.

This is why it is suggested to install the Palm desktop provided with the TX, v 4.2

Apparently the ver 4.1.4 you have installed from the 650 does not include the TX drivers, and the the version on the Palm site 4.1.4e is to now include, but does not include all the features the 4.2 CD version does.

So if you do not have the bundled version (4.2), then download and install 4.1.4e for your TX to function correctly.

The tones you heard were the XP system attempting to ID your device and the prompt was to install the proper hardware driver. The hardware driver is loaded to the Windows library on desktop installation only.

Let us know how you get on. Cheers

8. KatJensDad

As I said, I followed the instructions at the top of this thread, which includes installing the bundled software -- which I have. Which I installed. It was *after* that install and the attempt to do the first sync that I got all this mess.

I suspected it was a driver problem, but for some reason the installation software is unable to install the driver.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sorry to hear of your problems; if you're able to find the thread to which lelisa13p referred (summer of 2006, probably TX forum; sorry, I'd search but I'm posting from my TX) you may find some help. iirc, at one or another point there was an uninstall of PalmDesktop, after carefully making a copy of pertinent folders&content. it did finally work out, if thats any consolation...

10. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

I am sorry, reviewing the immediate posts preceding your description I was not certain.
    Rick is correct, there is a reported issue on several installations that required a complete removal of the Palm desktop before the version 4.2 could take correctly and that may be what you are experiencing since the version level does not update.

Review this thread.

Post # 11 from Hook I believe was one solution that was part of the resolution.

All the best.