How to Upgrade to the TX from a Previous Palm

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by Dick Tracy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

These directions are for Windows XP Home and XP Professional and Windows 2000. Windows 98 and ME are not compatible. Some users have reported success with XP Media Center Edition. Feel free to supplement your successful upgrade experience.

Follow these steps (some addendum to what is on the palm.com site for upgrading):

1. Sync your old device.

2. Rename your C:\Palm\[your truncated hotsync name]\Backup folder to something like OldBackup, Today'sDateBackup, or [your old Palm model, like T3]Backup. I prefer to also move it to computer desktop so that I do not have a snowball's chance of confusing it with any other backup folder. Failure to perform this step will ensure horrible results. You have been warned.

3. Charge your TX, check your third-party apps (including hacks and TSRs) for updated versions, check the TX software compatibility lists (palmfocus.com has a comprehensive, organized list). Incompatible third-party apps will produce the following: freezes or resets when you open an application (not necessarily the incompatible app), slow performance, unusual screen display, difficulties using handheld features, uneven sound quality. Download and unzip any upgrades you need. Do not run any installers at this time. Snoop around the User Guide or browse a few forums.

4. Time's up! TX is charged. Select language, date/time, do the digitizer dance. Turn off all other running applications to ensure Registry is properly written to; this includes antivirus and firewall. Install new Palm Desktop and perform initial sync to your existing hotsync name. Your PIMs will come over and a new Backup folder will be created in the above-referenced path. Play a bit and get comfortable with some of the new features.

5. Before you start installing third-party applications, make sure you have your registrations handy. Install third party apps one or two at a time through QuickInstall from your OldBackup/[your old Palm model]Backup folder or newly extracted downloads if old versions are a no-go. Warning, if upgrading from a T3, do not install AppSlipRotate.prc and StatusBarLib.prc. You will lose the Status Bar.

You will have to know all of the associated files for an app in your OldBackup folder and install them together for proper functionality. Creator ID is useful for these associations, although not all apps have just one ID. If uncertain, re-download and then locate your data in the OldBackup folder. You will have to re-run the installers for those apps with their own conduits or desktop apps (AvantGo, Splash Money, Vindigo, Sunrise are examples). Whatever you do, never install any preferences files from your old device unless you are fond of reset loops and hard resets.

Begin installations with the latest version of Uninstall Manager and Cleanup (also sold as NeatFreak Pack). Then add your favorite file manager (FileZ, Resco Explorer, etc.). This will significantly ease cleanup if you mistakenly sync an old or disruptive app. Then install more apps, one at a time unless you are entirely confident of full compatibility with NVFS.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your TX!

It would be nice if someone with a Mac could post a follow-on. Likewise with XP Media Center Edition (note whether 2004 or 2005).

2. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

Macintosh follow up:

In step 2, the path for the backup folder is different. It is:

~/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync ID>/Backups

In step 4, make sure you repair permissions before Installing either Palm Desktop, or Missing Sync for Palm OS:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
    Click the First Aid tab at the top
    Select your boot drive
    Click on Repair Permissions
    Wait a while

It is also a good idea to repair permissions after the install is complete.

All the rest is exactly as DT said.

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Great job you guys! Hopefully this thread will attract a lot of attention.

I would recommend adding apps very slowly to your Tx to see how they work. One of the first apps I would add after Uninstall Manger and Filez is a very good and compatible backup app that allows keeping several backups on your card. I added my apps slowly and tested and then backed up. Then I repeated the process again. I used BackupBuddyVFSPro, but there are several great apps avaiable including but not limited to RescoBackup and BackupMan.

I am going to add my experiences with a long list of compatible and not so compatible apps on my Tx here. This may help new users to install some of there favorite apps without worry. The following list is an ongoing project of mine. I love to test new apps that might be useful or just fun.

My Tx Applications
    The following apps seem to coexist happily on my Tx. The apps that are stared are ones that I use every day or are always activated.

1. *Owner 1.07
    2. 1st Aid 1.4
    3. 3Xcom 1.02
    4. Addit 3.320
    5. *Aeroplayer 5.5
    6. Alarms 2.0.0Q
    7. LCD Analyzer 1.6
    8. *AuDodo 1.0.4
    9. AuSlang 1.2
    10. *BackupBuddyVFS Pro 3.3
    11. BEIKSDictionaryThesaurus_5.7
    12. Bubblet 1.6.0
    13. *ButtonsEx 1.1.6
    14. C-Tools 2.0
    15. Card Export 2.21.777
    16. VFS CardSpeed 1.2
    17. ChemTable 2.22
    18. CleanUp 3.44 (lacks Tx signature files)
    19. *Clock+3.81
    20. CrashPro 2.24
    21. Currency 1.3
    22. *CutPaste5 3.1
    23. DataViewer 2.85.1
    24. *DocsToGo Premium Edition 8.001
    25. DopeWars 2.2.4
    26. eReader Pro 2.6.1
    27. EYE-Dict 1.0
    28. *Emerald Sounds 3.0
    29. *FlleMaker Mobile 8
    30. Filez 6.8.3
    31. Flight Status 1.02
    32. *Fonts4OS5 3.30
    33. Font Collector 1.41
    34. HandMap Pro 5.1.2
    35. *HandyShopper 2.9c
    36. HappyDays 2.37
    37. Hide&#8217;em 1.3
    38. Hold&#8217;em (No Limit Texas) 2.0
    39. ImagiProbe 4.0.2
    40. *Jfile 5.65a
    41. *JShopper 1.7
    42. Keyboard 3.0T
    43. *KeyColor1.9
    44. Kinoma Player 3 EX 3.1.1
    45. *KsDatebook 1.6.1
    46. Lakers (Natara DatePak 1.6.2)
    47. LaunchPad 1.0.102
    48. LightMorse 1.1
    49. LoanUtil 8.0
    50. lovedice 1.0
    51. MC-Phone 1.19a
    52. MovieGuide 1.4
    53. Noah Pro 3.0
    54. *NoviRemoteDeluxe3.3
    55. *OffItPalm 1.5
    56. Pac-Man 1.06
    57. PalmSutra21e8c
    58. *PamPuke 0.2
    59. Parking Lot 3.0
    60. *Password Launch 1.0.6a
    61. PhoneLog 2.10
    62. PaymentUtil 6.0
    63. PowerNet 1.9.8
    64. PowerRun 1.3.1
    65. ProfileMD 1.0.5
    66. PXAClocker (Lite) 46
    67. *RLock 1.20
    68. Sea War 1.3
    69. *ShortCut5 1.6
    70. snapCalc5 5.6.3
    71. SnowBoard Bob 2.1
    72. Sol Free 4.3
    73. Solitaire 3.1p
    74. SolPok 2.0
    75. Speedy 6.1
    76. *SplashID 3.22
    77. *SplashMoney 4.08
    78. SplashPhoto 4.33
    79. *SportsSchedulePro 1.1.4
    80. *SportsSchedulePro NBA 1.07
    81. Stability Test
    82. Stamps 0.7.9
    83. *SysInfo 4.3
    84. TCAccident 2.0
    85. *tcpmp 0.71
    86. *Thesaurus 2.2.5
    87. *Tide Tool 2.2
    88. ToolOne 1.15
    89. *TotalCar 6.0
    90. Translate 1.01
    91. *Tx Home Icon
    92. *Uninstall Manager 3.03
    93. YAUC 1.2.2d

Marginal Apps
    Some of the following apps do not negatively impact my Tx and I am using even with their imitations.
    1. CrashPro 2.22 Beta1- Does not catch all crashes and fatal resets but does catch and log a few. This is a beta only. CrashPro 2.22 was released on 12/27/05. CrashPro 2.24 works great and I am using it on my Tx
    2. *FileMaker Mobile 2.1.1.1- Syncs perfectly with FileMaker Pro 6 and all databases are readable on Tx. Unfortunately you can not edit databases on Tx. I will undoubtedly upgrade to Mobile 8.0 which should be released very soon. FileMaker Mobile 8 is a fabulous improvement and I have upgraded.
    3. MyCar2.0- If you open the note drawing page, you will have a soft reset. I do not use this app.
    4. OnGuardBackup102 works fine but causes BackupBuddyVFSPro to not backup properly (Problem Solved!). I do not use this app.
    5. MobiTV 2.9 (Demo)- locked up my Tx with the repeating demo video and no buttons or the Home Icon worked to get out so I had to do a soft reset to reclaim my Tx. I do not use this app.
    6. Off 1.1b- increased the frequency of soft resets (I think!), I do not use this app.
    7. *Fonts4OS5 3.30: I love this app and keep it locked on my Tx for increased stability. If you check command bar activation, you will cause periodic soft resets when you try and activate the command bar on your Tx. You should uncheck that box.

Apps to avoid
    The following apps do not work at all on Tx and some of them negatively impact it. I do not use these currently although I know that many folks are using FontSmoother successfully on their Tx.
    1. Moon Phase 2.7
    2. AutoExec
    3. Palm Internals
    4. Parking Lot (Parking Lot 3.0 works)
    5. FontBucket 1.46
    6. FontSmoother (1.6 seems to work) [1.7 works great so I am told]

Apps that I have tested and used but no longer have on my Tx, because I never used them.
    1. SharkTXFix 1.2
    2. WalletInventoryv3.0
    3. 3D Mines 1.0
    4. SilverScreen 3.4.7
    5. PDA Check 1.6
    6. TimeWhiz 1.61
    7. System Information 1.0 (Free Version)
    8. Stylus Pilot 1.0
    9. C-Roid 2.0
    10. ClickoMania 3.0
    11. Hangman 1.0
    12. Wiffi 5.4
    13. SharkDownload 1.0
    14. dbScan 1.9c
    15. IntellligentFind 3.2.2
    16. TetriVersions5_0
    17. Dated1000
    18. UnCache 1.3
    19. OffStroke-0.9
    20. Button Launcher 3.2.3
    21. DBCache Tool 0.2a

4. PeterMcG

PeterMcG Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for this useful thread.

I only wish I had found it before I upgraded from my Sony Clie to my new TX!

So now I would like to start over and do it right.

What would be the steps to do a fresh install? And in what order?

Now that I've done a hard reset I have some questions:

Do I first uninstall all the palm software via Windows Add/Remove control panel app? Do I reinstall the whole shebang from the TX CD? I'd like to do this right and would be especially glad to hear from someone who has been in my shoes and started from scratch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter McG

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

There should be no need to uninstall palm desktop on windows. Especially not around the same time as a hard reset! What you should do is rename your backup folder so you can reconstruct your preferences free from any previous Palm data. You can then add your apps back a few at a time.

hope this helps...

6. james2

james2 Mobile Evangelist

Thanks so much for putting together this thread. I've just upgraded my trusty Tungsten C to a TX and this thread was a great help.

Cheers!,
    James

7. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I know this is the wrong device, but what steps do you change if you are upgrading from a z22 to and e2?

8. Dick Tracy

Use same procedure described above to be sure the Z22 preferences don't get installed on the E2.

Enjoy your new E2 and Happy (early) Birthday.

9. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure.

10. Dune

Dune Newbie

HI
    I have been using a HP ipac and have all files in MS outlook. Do not want to have to reenter. Any Halp would be great. Still doing the 3 hour charge for startup so I have a clean slate. Want to use to advance my businss from the stick note method of record keeping. THXS

11. Dick Tracy

Welcome to Brighthand Dune.

During the installation you will be asked if you want to sync with Outlook. In your case the answer will be yes.

Enjoy your TX.

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Newbie

Help! I think I messed up in step #1. I'm not tech savvy so please bear with me.

Situation:
    My friend gave me her T/X with all the software & hardware.

I previously had a Palm 71. After it died, I still maintained all of my info. on my PC (with Windows XP)

As I was upgrading the old Palm software with the new T/X software on my PC, I MESSED UP THE STEP WHERE I'm suppossed to change the user name on my Palm T/X to my current user name on my PC.

Now when I sync, the Palm T/X only syncs my friend's info., NOT MINE.

All of my contact info is still on my PC, but I just need help in CHANGING THE USER NAME IN THE PALM T/X to sync with my PC.

Is there any hope? Please advise.

Bunnie

13. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello Bunnie, Welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

Hard reset and start back from square one ...
    Hard reset is done by holding power, poke reset, release power when the grey screen appears, confirm the deletion of all data by pressing page up.
    After that when you sync, make sure to select the correct Hotsync name.

14. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, Bunnie. Let us know how you get on.

15. rbeef

rbeef Roast Beef

Make sure you deactivate or uninstall BackupBuddy and all other backup software. This software restores files you do not want restored causing instability. The Palm backup/restore will only restore your add-on apps and your data whereas backup/restore utilities restore various system files and databases. I had a lot of grief due to this, ultimately having to install everything from scratch and beam my memory resident data files from the T|E to the TX.

16. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (never tried it myself), but shortcut-dot-5 will erase the username and hotsync log. The big problem doing this is that you'd probably end up with your friend's info AND your's on the Palm. Yup -- hard reset is your best option. Forget I posted....

By the way, shortcut-dot-4 will display the synch username in case you want to verify.

17. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Not a good idea, the freind already has a bunch of categories setup different from what Bunnie wants, so all of Bunnies data will go to Unfiled.

Best to do a Hard Reset, if you want any of your freinds info (old boyfreinds phone numbers ;) ) just copy-n-paste from the desktop.

( 8(|)

18. saltillo

saltillo Newbie

Palm T/X....I too messed up on installing and put in a different user name than the one I had chosen with an older version...(DUMB)
    I did a hard reset and held the power while poking the reset button...waited for the gray screen...when the gray screen came up, nothing else happened...I don't know what to do now...there was no "confirm the deletion of all data" message
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!:eek:

19. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Saltillo. You need to keep the power button held until the first progress bar has completed. :)

20. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

I apologize if it wasn't clear enough from the instructions I provided ...