How to Upgrade to the Treo 680 from a previous Palm OS device

Discussion in 'Palm' started by headcronie, Mar 10, 2007.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

<Gasp>

Yes, making some memory, the categories will indeed restore with the hotsync, you're both right. My issue comes from a side effect: I use 15 categories in Outlook, mirrored in the handheld, yet in Outlook I use hundreds more of categories. As long as the first 15 categories are already assigned in a given PIM app (those mirrored in Outlook), when I hotsync I will have no issues with all my categories. But that leads me to have them all listed in all PIM apps before the hotsync, or I'll spent the rest of the month mopping up. Any idea of where are they stored in the handheld?

<Cause it's either finding where are they stored, or cleaning up for the rest of the month, or yet another option: assigning them right now, on each PIM app -- BLARGH>

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Ah, I think I understand, but I have no idea what the solution is, if there is one. You are saying that if the 15 categories have already been set up in the PIM app, it doesn't complain about the additional categories Outlook uses? If so, that is interesting. I'm assuming the first time around you started with just the 15 and then added categories to Outlook. I've never had to deal with this so I am just guessing.

The only thing I can think of is going into a PIM, edit categories, and add the categories. I'm not sure if you would only need to do this once or for each PIM.

What you really need is something like Beyond Contacts or Keysuite with unlimited categories.

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Pretty much, you got the picture.

I got Outlook and the Palms set to mirror 15 categories among both, and in Outlook I use many more (by the hundreds), though all the bulk does not affect the 15 mirrorring categories among both platforms. The Palm doesn't complain as long as I have and keep the 15/15 list among both platforms (indeed interesting, Hook :), cause such feature is not even endorsed in the Palm brochures). As a sidenote, I also assign a Custom Field to share even more categories among both platforms, that has no effect on the Palm Categories at all, for it is yet a field apart. But all the 15/15 working system cracks if I am missing at least one of them in the Palm. I started using Categories on a heavy basis ever since I started using Outlook back in '97, so the thing is significant to my PIM system ever since (AAMOF, I started using Categories in the paper planner, but I never figured out the sorting bugs :D). In a Palm upgrade, all I have to do is establish the 15/15 system at the beginning so that the hotsync doesn't deliver a full mess.

After a hard reset, the categories obviously fly away. I know these 15 categories of each app are stored somewhere onboard the Palm platform, but I don't know where. And I hope somebody may offer a digital solution to restore them, this is, pinpoint to me the location where they're stored. Said solution, if it exists (as you point out), is yet to surface, even here at BH. In your defense and H's, in that you can't pinpoint it to me, I'll say that after a whole evening of googling and at the Palm Support site, I have found zip. Which takes me to the old solution, that is...

*sigh* Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid. Anyway, the gratitude is sustained :eek: