How to Upgrade to the Treo 680 from a previous Palm OS device

Discussion in 'Palm' started by headcronie, Mar 10, 2007.

1. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I understand that only one hotsync name should be used per device. I've always had the same hotsync ID throughout all my Palms devices, though I have only synced the current one I own at any time.

I'm curious of two things: (1) why I have two paths to a Palm folder (C:\program files\Palm\xxxxxx and C:\Palm\xxxxx) and (2) why I have a backup in only one of them (C:\program files\Palm\xxxxx).

Sorry wasn't clear the first time.

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

You probably have two paths because of installation/reinstallation issues over time.

See which one has the most recent files, that's the one to take (remove the other one, just in case. You can make a backup if you think you will still be needing that info).

3. jazzlover

jazzlover Mobile Deity

It should be noted that you need to keep your internet connection active during the installation process, as the installation app will ask if you want to download the latest settings as part of its setup routine.
    I disabled my antivirus software in accordance with these instructions, but wanted to protect my network from infection through my workstation by disconnecting my ethernet cable. Then the installation window popped up with this question, so I reconnected my ethernet cable. Not sure why, but that resulted in my computer rebooting.
    The installation process, as you might guess, took a loooong time after that -- 3 uninstalls and 3 reinstalls, and finally had to restore WIN XP to a point prior to the multiple installations and reinstall a 4th time. I guess I could have right-clicked on network connections in my system tray and disconnected, but I didn't think that would be secure enough.

4. jazzlover

jazzlover Mobile Deity

It would seem that my computer rebooting had nothing to do with my problem installing the Palm software from the CD. Found this thread here:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=233104
    Man, I sure wish I had seen that before installing. Why would Palm not put some kind of notice up on their support pages? When you get a brand new phone, you at least expect the installation CD to work, for cryin' out loud.

5. Markman5

Markman5 Mark

Ok, I read this thread too late and I am now in recovery mode. My 650 has an intermittent hardware issue after 4 loyal years of service. I bought a used 755p, I downloaded the newer Palm Desktop 6.2.2 over my previous 4.x version, then I synced the 755p. When none of my previous information showed up I searched and found this thread, and realize the error of my ways.
    I cannot find any folders that look like backup folders for the 650.
    I do not have a very recent backup of my hard drive.
    I DO still have the 650 with all the information still in it.
    I am not connecting the 650 to ANYthing until I have a plan.
    What filenames should I look if they are still on my hard drive?
    My thought is to establish a palm desktop on another machine, and sync with handheld overriding desktop. Then export the files to import into the desktop that has already synced w the 755p.

Ideas?

Thank you,
    Mark

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I have a very good question: I am doing some cleanup, Hard Reset involved, and I wish to restore from an NVBackup archive the Categories in the PIM apps. Would that lead me to said reset loops and hard resets? Given the case not, which is the element of the NVBackup archive I have to selectively restore? You see, the PIM Categories are not restored after HotSync, not even when "Desktop Overwrites Handheld" is selected.

7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Can you explain a little bit more about why the PIM categories are not restored from the hotsyc? What is creating those categories if not the PIM apps?

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

<Mornin', Pirate :) >

Let's start from a basic scenery: I create a new Contacts entry, and no Categories involved. I HotSync. Both desktop (Palm Desktop or Outlook, doesn't matter) and handheld have the same new Contacts entry, no Category. Next, if I set a new Category in the handheld, there are options to set it in the desktop, but let's pass this along, cause it's not part of the issue; if I set a Category in the desktop that is not previously listed in the handheld, the entries in that Category (in the desktop) lose it when hotsynced to the handheld.

I had all 15 categories for each PIM app already used and all my PIM entries merrily synced with Outlook within those categories mirrored in the latter. I know that if I sync with no categories in the handheld, horrible issues will arise with the categories in Outlook when I sync back. I just hard reset my 680, and I wanna know where in God's name are my onboard categories, so I can restore them beforehand. I know they have to be in some of the elements archived in NVBackup, but I ain't got the slightest idea of which. The PIM apps are not directly responsible of their own categories, that I know it for years of messing with them and not watching a proper behavior related to the PIM apps, it's got to be some saved preferences or something. Any ideas, suggestions, pirate? TIA.

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

As far as I know, categories should be stored with the PIMs, not in preferences.

10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I agree with H. I you have too man categories set in Outlook and are using the default PIM apps on the 680, you will get a mess, but categories are with the PIMs. I don't know why you aren't geting them from the Hotsync.