How to Upgrade to the Treo 680 from a previous Palm OS device

Discussion in 'Palm' started by headcronie, Mar 10, 2007.

1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello macdoggie, welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

Basically the steps are the same for Mac as for Windows:
    - rename backup folder to, backup_old (which on MAC would be in the area of ~/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync ID>/Backups)
    - repair permissions before and after upgrading PalmDesktop if needed (this is Mac specific ;) )
    - sync your new device, select old ID
    - reinstall apps one by one AFTER making sure they are compatible with the target device.

2. macdoggie

macdoggie Newbie

holvoetn,

Thank you very much.

macdoggie

3. mikes5785

mikes5785 Mobile Evangelist

Is there somewhere to find a listing of680 compatible apps? I thought there was one for the 650

Mike

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

See the first post in this thread, specifically paragraph 3.

5. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

I have Palm Desktop 4.2 and Hotsync Manager 6.0.1 that I've used for a Palm TX.

I now have an unlocked Treo 680 (gsm) that I'd like to start syncing. I do not have the CD and cannot find it anywhere on ebay, pdaparts.come, etc...

Palmone lists an article for the 680 for downloading HotSync Manager and Desktop 4.1.4E -- quite a step backwards from what I now have.

My problem is the Palmone article says: "What if I have version 4.2? If you currently have Palm Desktop 4.2 on your desktop PC, do not install version 4.1.4e from this page." It then does NOT tell you what you *should* do if you have Desktop 4.2. (you can see it at http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414e680.html )

So what should I do? Should I just sync 4.2 into the 680 using the method listed in this Brighthand thread? Help!

6. holvoetn

If you have 4.2, stay with 4.2.
    Then step in at 2. with the procedure above.

7. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

Thanks for your reply. Only now I have actually located a copy of a software cd for the Treo 680. I'm not sure what version that will be on the CD. Should I use that instead when it arrives? Or use 4.2 anyway? And why?

If I do use the one on the CD and it is *lower* than 4.2, I assume I need to clean out all Palm registry per this discussion: http://forum.brighthand.com/showpost.php?p=1364161&postcount=2

That right?

And one more question: If instead of loading apps via hotsync, if I beam them from my TX, that's the same thing, right? I mean, beaming them doesn't include the TX preferences or otherwise cause problems does it?

Thanks for your help.

8. holvoetn

680 also uses 4.2
    Beaming is also good, provided the app is compatible with your 680 (not all are).

9. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

I do find a Palm folder at this location, but there is no backup in it and the files all have old modfied dates.

Where I find a backup folder is at C:\Program Files\Palm\[truncated username]\backup

Why is that?

(I'm assuming I've got the right one since it's modified date is today/last sync).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. holvoetn

The reason is because PalmDesktop will transfer THAT folder back to your device if it sees your device has had a reset.
    You do NOT want that when moving between different HW platforms ;)

You only need to do this for the folder which resembles the hotsync ID you want to retain.