How to Upgrade to the Treo 680 from a previous Palm OS device

Discussion in 'Palm' started by headcronie, Mar 10, 2007.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Big thanks to Dick Tracy & Shawn Parr for providing this information in another thread.

You may find other useful information in the original thread located here:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=220374

These directions are for Windows XP Home and XP Professional and Windows 2000. Windows 98 and ME are not compatible. Some users have reported success with XP Media Center Edition. Vista information is available at palm.com/support. Feel free to supplement your successful upgrade experience. Mac users will find additional information at the bottom of this post.

Follow these steps (some addendum to what is on the palm.com site for upgrading):

1. Sync your old device.

2. Rename your C:\Palm\[your truncated hotsync name]\Backup folder to something like OldBackup, Today'sDateBackup, or [your old Palm model, like T3]Backup. I prefer to also move it to computer desktop so that I do not have a snowball's chance of confusing it with any other backup folder. Failure to perform this step will ensure horrible results. You have been warned.

3. Charge your Treo 680, check your third-party apps (including hacks and TSRs) for updated versions, check the 680 software compatibility lists (palmfocus.com has a comprehensive, organized list). Incompatible third-party apps will produce the following: freezes or resets when you open an application (not necessarily the incompatible app), slow performance, unusual screen display, difficulties using handheld features, uneven sound quality. Download and unzip any upgrades you need. Do not run any installers at this time. Snoop around the User Guide or browse a few forums.

4. Time's up! Treo 680 is charged. Select language, date/time, do the digitizer dance. Turn off all other running applications to ensure Registry is properly written to; this includes antivirus and firewall. Install new Palm Desktop and perform initial sync to your existing hotsync name. Your PIMs will come over and a new Backup folder will be created in the above-referenced path. Play a bit and get comfortable with some of the new features.

5. Before you start installing third-party applications, make sure you have your registrations handy. Install third party apps one or two at a time through QuickInstall from your OldBackup/[your old Palm model]Backup folder or newly extracted downloads if old versions are a no-go. Warning, if upgrading from a T3, do not install AppSlipRotate.prc and StatusBarLib.prc.

You will have to know all of the associated files for an app in your OldBackup folder and install them together for proper functionality. Creator ID is useful for these associations, although not all apps have just one ID. If uncertain, re-download and then locate your data in the OldBackup folder. You will have to re-run the installers for those apps with their own conduits or desktop apps (AvantGo, Splash Money, Vindigo, Sunrise are examples). Whatever you do, never install any preferences files from your old device unless you are fond of reset loops and hard resets.

Begin installations with the latest version of Uninstall Manager and Cleanup (also sold as NeatFreak Pack). Then add your favorite file manager (FileZ, Resco Explorer, etc.). This will significantly ease cleanup if you mistakenly sync an old or disruptive app. Then install more apps, one at a time unless you are entirely confident of full compatibility with NVFS.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your Treo!

It would be nice if someone with XP Media Center Edition could post a follow-on (note whether 2004 or 2005).

Macintosh follow up:

In step 2, the path for the backup folder is different. It is:

~/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync ID>/Backups

In step 4, make sure you repair permissions before Installing either Palm Desktop, or Missing Sync for Palm OS:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
    Click the First Aid tab at the top
    Select your boot drive
    Click on Repair Permissions
    Wait a while

It is also a good idea to repair permissions after the install is complete.

All the rest is exactly as DT said.

NH 2008-06-11: NOTE: Since the initial conception of this thread, several ROM updates have been released to accomodate for various cases (AT&T, Rogers, Unlocked, Asia).
    Please refer to Palm Support pages to get the ROM version which is applicable for your case should you still need to apply it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Nice thinking headcronie :newpalm:

Don't forget the camera patch needs to be applied as well ;)

3. headcronie

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Don't all the 680s shipped after a certain date (I think about a month ago) have the camera patch in ROM?

5. headcronie

@ DT: ??? Maybe ??? It can't hurt to patch a patched device though.

6. holvoetn

I don't think so. Would require two sets of images which would increase cost on Palm's side. They already have the patch released so ...

Then again, I could be wrong ;)

7. go1ndr

go1ndr Mobile Enthusiast

I'm curious about this. I just bought a new 680 from Cingular. I have had a 600 and most recently a 650 that worked fine but due to some other phones being purchased in my business, I decided to get one (680) as well. I chose the 680 as I wanted to keep Palm OS. The Cingular salesperson told me that all we (two of us moved to 680's form 650's) had to do was hot sync our 650's just before we moved to the 680's, and then hot sync the 680 on the same software that I've used for the 650. It seemed to work fine and I have a lot of 3rd party apps on it, including Easy Notes, FileZ, Doc to go, Palm PDF, etc. My question after reading this thread is, should I have reinstalled my new software that I received with the 680 (as it seems to be the same), plus I have all the current updates. Since the hot sync went well (as have back ups), and it has the same connections, etc; should I worry or watch out for something--and should I reinstall th new software that came with the 680. Your thoughts please.
    Thank you! go1ndr

8. headcronie

Yes, I'd be very watchful. The hardware isn't the same. You may have synced some device specific drivers, etc and those may end up causing system instability.

I would recommend doing a hard rest and following the directions above.

9. holvoetn

Hello go1ndr, welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

As indicated by hc, hard reset and start over is the only and safest approach ;)

10. macdoggie

macdoggie Newbie

Greetiings, headcronie, Dick Tracy &/or Shawn Parr,

Can you help me, I'm new to this Forum?

A couple of years ago I upgraded from a Handspring Treo 90 (no phone) to a Treo 650 - I probably did not do it right as the 650 will occasionally reset when changing between applications. I just got a Treo 680 (I have not done anything with it) & from what I'm reading on this Forum, my upgrade from the Treo 90 to the 650 was not done correctly and I do not want this to happen when I upgrade to the 680.

I saw Dick Tracy's & Shawn Parr's posts but I am still a little confused. Can you give me a step-by-step guide to upgrading (in the Macintosh world) from my 650 to a 680 - I am using Palm Desktop 4.2.1 on a Mac PowerBook G4 (OSX). I do not use the internet or email functions of the phone (I don't have that service on my Cingular plan). I do use the Phone, Messaging, Contacts, Calendar, Memos & Tasks. I have a few 3rd Party Apps - BDicty 5.7 Pro / DiddleBug / e Wallet / RiseSet / TJ-Countdown/up / Documents To Go / TCPMP / Ringo / RealPlayer / 1-2-Convert! & Tide Tool.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

macdoggie