How to 'Unlock' Your Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by scubab, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubab

scubab Noob

I was having some difficulty connecting to my visible wireless network that is password protected and I needed to find my WEP Key and couldn't find any resources online (I'm sure there are some, but I couldn't find them). I did some fiddling around and I figured I'd share the info to those in need. Please feel free to tell me if my way is the long way or incorrect.
    I did this with a Palm LD and a Linksys brand router. I'm unsure of the univeral-ness of this way, so any feedback and/or suggestions won't hurt!
    Here we go!

First, you need to locate your WEP Key and this is how I did it.

From your computer
    -Go to your Start Menu and click on Run
    -When the Run.exe dialog box appears, type in cmd
    -Once the new window appears type ipconfig/all
    -Once the list appears locate your Default Gateway
    -Type the Default Gateway into the address bar of your internet browser
    -Input your user name and password that you created when you initially set up your router
    -This will reveal the Linksys site
    -Click on the Wireless tab
    -Click on the Wireless Security subcategory located underneath the Wireless tab
    -In the WEP Encryption drop down box, select 64 bits 10 hex digits

-Enter a passphrase (I used my PW that I used to log into the Linksys site)
    -Jot down Key 1

From your Palm
    -Open WiFi
    -Select your network
    -Once at the Preferences screen (should automatically go there) select your network again
    -Go to Edit Networks
    -Go to Edit
    -Under Security select WEP
    -Click Unassigned beside Key
    -Change Key Type to 40-bit hex and input your WEP Key which is the Key 1 you jotted down earlier
    -Don't forget to click Save Changes

This is what worked perfectly for me.

Hope this helps somebody!

EDIT:
    User DTM suggested that WPA would be much more secure than using WEP; so here's how to use WPA. It is virtually the same process, just a little different path and actually easier!

From your computer
    -From the Wireless Security subcategory that we were at before--Change Security Mode to WPA Personal
    -Make sure WPA Algorithms is set to TKIP. I don't think that the Palm supports the AES option found underneath TKIP
    -Assign a password
    -Save Changes

From your Palm
    -Follow the same process as before but you need to change Security to WPA-PSK

Note:

This will probably disconnect you and hinder you offline. Just go back to your wireless connections (the wireless logo in your task bar>>view wireless networks) and re-sign in using your new WPA password

2. DTM

DTM Intentionally left blank

Good post, scubab! One thing I've found on these boards is that, whatever problem you've had, someone else has had the same one, so you're almost certain to have helped someone.

One suggestion, though. If possible, you would be much better off using WPA encryption, rather than WEP. Using WEP is better than nothing, but it's like locking your screen door: it keeps honest people out, but barely slows down the bad guys.

3. scubab

scubab Noob

Thank you! I did not know that, thank you for the suggestion:) I already went in and changed to WPA on my computer and I'll edit the tut

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

It's also a good idea to turn off broadcasting the SSID and turn on MAC filtering.

5. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

WPA definitely better then WEP.

Top tip: the router's security key can usually be found typed on the bottom of the router!