How to remove browsing history in Samsung Galaxy S5?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abenn, Mar 18, 2016.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

My granddaughter recently drew my attention to the fact that I always seem to have a long list of recently-used apps displayed on my Galaxy S5 when I touch the virtual button that's to the left of the real button at the bottom of the screen, even after I've powered-down my phone and then re-started it. I checked with my Samsung tablet, and the list there seems to get deleted when I power down, for there's only ever a couple of apps showing.

I can't find any option on my phone menus to delete this history, so I have to resort to tapping the "X" symbol on each one in turn to get rid of them.

So, a couple of questions: Are the apps in the list still working in the background, hogging memory and using battery? How can I configure my phone so that the list is deleted when I power down?

My phone is running Android 5.0.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The X button was replaced by a button with three horizontal staggered lines sometime before Android 5.1. Does your device show this button? It clears the recent apps list. But it does not kill apps running in the background. The general consensus seems to be that unless the app is faulty and consuming too much power or data traffic, it's best to let Android manage background apps by itself and avoid manually stopping them. You can find lots of articles about killing tasks, such as these ones:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn’t Use a Task Killer On Android

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm running 4.4.2, so what I see is different than what you've described (not even accounting for what Verizon has done, compared to your carrier if its different). When I tap the virtual button, I see (at the bottom) Task Manager *and* Close All. As raspy said above, this is the list of recently used, still running apps; also as he said, it's generally better to let the system handle closing apps that don't need to be running, rather than manually closing them.

sorry to not have a specific solution to your question....

jigwashere, raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for the replies. I've just noticed that, as well as an X on each app, there's three horizontal lines with a X through them at the bottom of the recent apps screen, which removes them all.

But this still begs the question, why do they seem to be automatically deleted on my Samsung tablet when I power it down, but not on my phone? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

On some version of Android 5, a feature was introduced to list all the recent apps you've used. Previous versions showed only recent apps since last boot, as you've noticed. I haven't bothered counting how many are shown on my Z1, but there are certainly more than 50 apps listed, some of which I haven't run in several weeks. This is just a list of recent apps. It's not a list of active apps. This list does not tell you which or how many apps are still loaded on your device's memory, or are using system resources. The buton with the three horizontal lines I mentioned in my previous post simply clears the list, but does not unload any app from memory. If you tap that button, you'l see a message saying "No recent apps".

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Ah, that explains it! My tablet has an older version of Android, so it doesn't have this new "feature". I don't really understand the advantage of displaying so many recently used apps -- by the time I've scrolled through that list, it's quicker to go straight to the app on my 1st or 2nd screen, where I know where it is!

Anyway, thanks for the answers. I won't worry about it any more.

RickAgresta likes this.