How to Read and Input Japanese on a non Japanese PocketPC

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by Daimaou@Akiba, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daimaou@Akiba

Daimaou@Akiba Mobile Deity

It seems that some of you want to see and Input Japanese on their US/EUR PPC

here you are all you need and a Step by step process Enjoy!

Fisrt of all you don't need to flash the rom of your PPC, I was obliged to do that on my Japanese Ipaq just simply coz I was fed up to not be able to run some software properly and to wait for Rom Update.

What you need is very simple:
    -The Japanese FONT MSGothic From a Japanese PPC
    -A file called wince.nls from a Japanese PPC
    -2 reg keys
    -TascalRegedit soft in order to import those key.

Please not that you will only be able to read Japanese not Input Japanese

By reading I mean that you can even see the Kanji of a Japanese soft installed on a US/EUR PPC and of course surf the web in Japanese.

By not be able to imput Japanese I mean that you can no write in Japanese for that you need to buy a Japanese Input software and as well import some Key in the registry (can give you more details if you Need)

Finally I am not the guy who created this and all the Info are comming form Pocketgames Japan (Thanks Koji !)
    And It has been working perfectly on Compaq/HP (3630 1910 3970 5450) or O2 devices but almost destroyed a Casio E-200 (Hard reset Manipulation was even not successful, was obliged to put away both backup battery and main battery in order to be able to use again the PDA)

so you can Dl the files there:
    The reg keys (2)
    Reg Key
    The Font (2.2Mo zipped and 4Mo unzipped)
    Japanese Font
    The WinCe.nls
    Wince.nls

Thru Active Sync overwrite the wince.nls file which is in your Windows folder, put there as well the Font Don't put neither the wince.nls file nor the font in any other place, folder subfolder than the WINDOWS folder.

Now form TascalRegedit Install the 2 Regkey, soft reset Et voila !!!

to make sure go into my regional settings and you should see that:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now you can read japanese, so what about inputing Japanese?

This is not the most perfect input methode but this Methode is FREE !

Now you just have to download this soft called POBox, and you will have a New Keyborad available in your PPC. Also in the Zip file you will find a folder called Dic, just put this folder in the C: root of your PPC et voila ! it will works like a charm

(There are some bugs, I mean that the imput panel overlap the dictionary but if you know your Knaji you will recognized them easily)

14/03/03 Update on the Overlaping Problem

Thank you very much for Koji of the Famous and extremly well known Pocketgames JAPAN and Have a look to the link above !

He got the answer of the overlaping problem when using the Soft ComPOBox, you need in the registry to change one single value and you will fix the PB. here you are

in
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanelSip]
    You have
    MenuBarHight 0000001a
    So now change it to

Et voila !

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here you are the Soft POBox

Enjoy

PS Thank you Very much for their help :
    Koji from Pocketgames JAPAN
    Torgamm & lou PocketPCFreewares

****UPDATE FOR Windows Mobile 2003****

Yes I was able this morning to make it fully working on my 5555 with WM 2003 PPC

THis morning I found a Toshiba e350 in Japanese and I copy its wince.nls file and appl the trick and here you are it works like on 2000 and 2002 PPC ! :D :D

BUT be careful !on both registery Key only one should be used otherwise the Japanese will be replaced by "Square"

So in order to make it easier for you I put all needed stuff and soft in one 2.5 Mo file !
    You can dl it Here PLEASE PPC 2003 USERS USE THE WINCE.NLS FILE WHICH IS IN THIS ZIP IN ORDER TO HAVE A FULL JAPANESE PPC, DON'T USE ANY OTHER WINCE.NLS

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. PennyWisdom

PennyWisdom Mobile Deity

Great tip! I just have one question: If I install the font on my PPC, can i read documents with english and japanese characters? I don't need to input, I just need to view some web sites and doc files. Thanks!

3. Daimaou@Akiba

Yes no PB you can see both in the same time

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. ozziem

ozziem Mobile Consultant

Great info!
    Any idea about reading Chinese as well?

Cheers,
    Mike

5. Daimaou@Akiba

Well I will say that basically you will need the same files than I was talking about

I mean:

The font coming from a Chinese PocketPC
    the wince.nls from a Chinese PocketPC
    And well some key for the registry

It will be "esay" to find the font and the .nls file, but for the registry I don't know, just open it (notepad) look all key and try to adapt it to the Chinese files and it would work

Now for the input system, well I don't know any free software.

But why getting borded to do that when you can buy such software?

I was used to live in China (Hong Kong) before Japan and we were used to have this soft : CE-Star Suite 2.2 it was given with all English PPC

It is the most perfect Chinese Input and reading software ever made, it even got a Japanese, russian... input system. But because it is mainly designed for Chinese use, It is not perfect for my purpose (Japanese reading and editing system)

6. Xande

Xande Guest

Does some exist middle of transforming the operating system with version in Japanese of Toshiba Genioe550's models for a version in English (Genio e550GD or Genio e550C), does SOME PROGRAM or WAY THAT CHANGES the VERSION IN JAPANESE FOR A VERSION IN ENGLISH EXIST?
    Excuse my insistence but it is that I until today didn't find better PDA than Toshiba Genioe550's models (they possess screen of 4", 128MB RAM, 48MB ROM, new processor Intel PXA255 Xscale and they are many beautiful), then I came an impassioned by that model and I would like a lot of buying one for me, but I don't understand anything of the Japanese language.
    is that program that you are speaking above that It reads Japanese in a PDA in English?
    does a program that helps me to read in English a PDA in Japanese also exist?
    Thankful and a great hug becomes friends
    is that program that you are speaking above that It reads Japanese in a PDA in English?
    does a program that helps me to read in English a PDA in Japanese also exist?
    Are the pictures that I saw in your Site, of your marriage? Are they very beautiful?
    Daimaou you Live in Japan?
    Thankful and a great hug becomes friends Daimaou and I expect your help.
    can you please gets in touch with me to help me: alegirao@uai.com.br
    :D

7. Daimaou@Akiba

Well

If you buy a Japanese Pocket PC you can still write or read or even install English application, it is not a Problem, it will work even perfectly, Why I flash the ROM of my Ipaq, simply because I was fed up to wait for ROM update.

Now if you own a US or whatever PocketPC 2002 OS PDA, well you will find easy to use a Japanese PocketPC, just simply beacuse it is exactly the same OS !

I don't speak well Chinese (few hundreds words) but give me a Chinese PocketPC and I won't have any problem, Idem for Russian or Japanese ;)

So now as I reply to your email, I will try to contact Tosh Japan and talk with them but As I understood there is a little war between Japan and US in Toshiba and that why they both got their Own PDA. But the Problem that this companies always forget that thier client got the Internet and have information quicker than them ;)

Yes thanks fot he picture it was durring my Wedding in my country house, and During our cocktail Party in Hong Kong (Huge suite in the Peninsula Hotel :D) And since a while we left China to go back to my wife country (Japan)

8. imported_Soulstice

imported_Soulstice Mobile Deity

I notice that. What's wrong with Toshiba anyway? shss....

they should have sold the Genio e int he US and done relegate the E740/750 to the mid/low end models. They both are so ugly compared to genio.

9. Marcus LS

Marcus LS Mobile Enthusiast

Hi Daimaou

You mentioned in the other thread that there was another Japanese input method available that worked OK, but that was not free.

Would you be able to post a link to that site (or tell me the name of the software) as I am having some trouble getting POBox to work for some reason.

Thanks

Marcus

10. Daimaou@Akiba

Of course here you are the link

http://www.justsystem.co.jp/atok/atok_ppc/?w=at

It is extremly well known in Japan, and as far I understood they sell more this Product on WinOS platform than MS Word here in Japan

And here the web site where thru Pocketgames Japan I found all the information (That I translated already for you)

http://homepage3.nifty.com/iwabuc/localize_to_japanese.html

Please have a look at the .TXT File they are talking about ATOK the Japanese Imput Methode.

I didn't done it myself but "koji" from Pocketgames done it on his Ipaq 5450 here you are the link where you can have some SS of his job http://pocketgames.jp/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=85

If you got any problem just send him a mail and you can also tell him that it is on my advise that you are contacting him. Don't Worry is English is far better than mine ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.