How to perform a quick erase?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by luigi, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

I'm trying to perform a quick erase, either the old fashioned (supposely, up button), or the new fashioned (left button), after the system update 2. BUt, I do have a problem: I followed instructions of the owner manual and here in the forum (FAQ section), and the only options I have once I release teh Power button are "Press center to cancel", and "Press Down to secure erase". NO Up option is available, neither left, and none of them work. Either I'm missing something, or My LD is crazy?
    Update 2 is correclty applied, DOcs to go is updated, Blazer works fine, but I want to make a hard reset to be able to recover VErsaMail, which is crashing continuously since yesterday.

Luigi

2. p_boucher

p_boucher Mobile Deity

Just deactivate your password in the security panel. Having a password disable the quick erase option.

And don't be fooled by what you found on forums here; the new up option don't erase the hard drive . The left option will not show but acts as the previous up - so it will erase the HD. The down option hasn't been changed; it will perform a secure erase.

EDIT:
    Just to be clearer. The up option after update 2.0 do perform a reset on your LD - all internal memory will be cleared. It's just that the hard disk will be untouched. It doesn't reformat the file partition.

If you want to reformat the hard disk, then hit left, even though this option is not showed or documented.

3. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

Done thanks.
    Actually it is funny, because in Palm Support page http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(40209)
    it states clearly that "...The new reset option allows you to keep your digital music, pictures, videos and other items stored on the Internal Drive, even when you perform a hard reset. The new option only affects Program Memory in your device." I assume that as "new reset option" they refer to the LEFT one. Which is the one I used, understanding that would have let my HD files (music, video, my docs, etc) untouched. I readed your message a bit too late...All my data are now gone, and I have to recover them from scratch...

I wonder why Palm cannot, never, put a clear and stright explanation...:mad:

Luigi

4. SoSII

SoSII Mobile Deity

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:( The update makes the the standard 'up' press reset the one that DOES NOT erase the HD. Now the 'left' press is the one that nukes everything and 'down' still really nukes everything (secure erase). It is really a pain that this is so badly documented. Palm moved the goalposts and basically didnt tell anyone. The 'left' push is absolutely undocumented on the Palm sit afaik...sorry you had to find out the hard (no pun intended) way...

5. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

This is what we have to pay to be trusted Palm aficionados...:rolleyes:

Luigi

6. SoSII

SoSII Mobile Deity

aint that the truth!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.