How to perform a Hard Reset on a Treo 680?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by jfme, Dec 1, 2006.

1. jfme

jfme Member

With the removal of the reset button on the Treo 680, how is the hard reset done?

2. SergioA

SergioA Mobile Deity

From the User Guide

1) Remove the battery from your
    smartphone, and then reinsert it.
    2) When the Palm logo appears, press and
    hold Power/End until the black
    status bar at the bottom of the screen
    fills and disappears, and then release
    Power/End .
    3) When the Erase all data? prompt
    appears, press Up to confirm the
    hard reset.

Ciao!

Sergio

3. jfme

jfme Member

Thank you SergioA. I was not able to find this anywhere in Palm's website or other forums..

4. jwarn3rd

jwarn3rd Mobile Consultant

5. spnyc

spnyc Newbie

kind of the same as the 650 except that since there's no reset button you'll have to remove the back cover and battery to "reset" it. hold the red power button down until the 2nd palm logo comes up and then release it.

6. threephi

threephi Mobile Deity

The My Treo app on the 680 contains a lot of extremely useful info, including instructions for all reset procedures. Of course, you can't access this when your Treo needs resetting but it's a useful resource nonetheless. It might be worthwhile to note that the procedure listed there is different from what was quoted above. I'm not saying the other procedures won't work too, I'm just saying that the following is what is listed in the on-board help software. For the record I have not yet performed a hard reset on my 680.

The only real difference seems to be that by this procedure you hold down the power button during removal and re-installation of the battery, instead of after the unit starts to reboot.

7. thecount

thecount Mobile Enthusiast

just take the battery out,, then keep your finger on the power button and insert the battery, when the progress bar reaches the end, release the power button and then just go ahead and select YES if you want to erase everything.

8. redbeard914

redbeard914 Purveyor of Dark Arts

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

10. royofsf

royofsf Member

The hard reset instructions listed on the 680, in the 680 manual and above did not work for me. I tried them several times. Here's what did work:

1. Remove the battery from your smartphone, and then reinsert it. You can either hold the battery in place (as I do) to make sure it doesn't pop out when you turn over your 680 to see the screen or put the battery cover back on quickly. I say quickly because the black status bar begins filling immediately (see#2).
    2. When the Palm logo appears, press and hold Power/End while the black status bar at the bottom of the screen fills and disappears.
    3. Do not release the Power/End button until another Palm logo screen appears. When I followed Palm's instructions, listed at the top of this thread and released this button immediately after the black status bar filled and disappeared, I did NOT get a hard reset.
    3) When the "Erase all data?" prompt appears, press up on the 5-way navigator button to confirm the hard reset.