How to manage files on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by abenn, Jul 6, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, there are plenty of tablets available, but most are underpowered and underfeatured: small storage, slow CPUs, low-res screens, poor camera quality, etc. There are a few notable exceptions, such as the TAB S line Hook mentioned above. But most of the rest are mediocre products. You can search for "best Android tablets 2019" and it's amazing to find in a certain articlethat number 3 is a tablet running Android 6, with 4GB RAM, 32/64GB storage, 8MP main camera, and a 2K display on a 10" screen. Numbers 1 and 2 are from the S line, number 4 is from Google, with just 3GB RAM and 32GB storage (and no SD slot). The rest are equally unremarkable. If this is the best Android can offer, it's no wonder that the market share for Android tablets is shrinking compared to iOS. You can find articles and charts online detailing this trend.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I think the fact that you can get a mobile phone with a beautiful display with Android is also killing the market for Android tablets. Don't need to be tethered to wifi, and they work great for GPS and more.

Why get home, sit down, put your phone down, and grab your tablet? Bigger screen is about the only upside. That isn't enough for me to have a tablet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I would guess that convertible Chromebooks might have taken a bit of market share from Android tablets. Just a guess.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Interesting, or strange, that #3 in the list, running Android 6 as you say, is Billed as 'Android's iPad killer'. Personally I prefer to have an SD card slot and headphone jack, neither of which Apple seem to give me without paying for an adapter of some kind, and I'd be quite happy with less storage than I've got on my iPad. I'm also beginning to question if there's some limitation to iOS's ability to multi-task: A couple of days ago, while waiting for some files to copy over to my iPad from my phone, I switched to my browser to look at news on the internet. When I returned to the file transfer app I found that the transfer had been 'Terminated by user' as soon as I'd switched to Chrome. Maybe that's just a feature of the particular app.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I used to think the same, but my preferences regarding hardware are slowly changing. Built-in storage is much faster than SD cards, and it's also more reliable. I've had a couple of SD cards (both from well-known brands) die suddenly from no apparent reason, even though one of them was less than a year old. Also, Android still limits access to external storage for apps and certain functions. About the headphone jack, that's been a top priority for me when selecting phones and BT headsets. But BT codecs have improved a lot, so I haven't used the headphone jack in more than 6 months. For these reasons I'm looking hard at the OnePlus Pro 7, because even though it doesn't have an SD slot, it has large and fast internal storage. It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, but I think I'm ready to give it up.

I haven't tried multitasking on my iPad, so I couldn't tell if it has limitations. I mostly copy content from my laptop to the iPad in large batches, but I don't use the iPad while it's doing so.

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I've had the same thing happen to me. After years of using Nexus phones, I've come to appreciate the efficiency and reliability of internal storage. My Nexus 6p with 128GB was perfect. The funny thing is my Pro1 will have an SD slot, but also having 128 GB internal storage, I'm not sure I'll ever use it unless I have the need to carry a very large media library with me.