How to manage files on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by abenn, Jul 6, 2019.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

a reasonably good solution, as long as you can talk to the cloud, from your current location (unless you've planned ahead..), and you don't mind the additional expense (and trust that the data won't be lost or currupted).

lelisa13p, Mi An, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Didn't the latest Apple product announcement say that the newest version of iOS was going to include native file management? I don't know if it's in the latest iOS or a version that is coming out soon.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Just one more related question: If I delete an app, such as Sendanywhere, do all the files in its (hidden) folders get deleted too? Or do I end up with a bunch of files cluttering up my storage, that I can neither delete nor use with a different music-player app?

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The files get deleted with the app. In this respect iOS works more efficiently than Android. Since files get associated with a single app, and are saved to that particular app's storage area, the OS can easily identify and delete leftovers.

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks raspabalsa. If I could retain files and share them with other apps, I might be tempted to stick with iPad. Otherwise it's back to Android when I need a new tablet.

I suppose you've heard the mantra, 'Taking off is optional; landing is mandatory'?

6. raspabalsa

I think that just a few types of data can be shared across apps: music (if copied to iPad with iTunes), contacts, maybe pics; but not movies, pdfs, office files, etc. I'd get an Android tablet, except that most are underpowered and underfeatured. My G6 has more RAM, more powerful CPU, more screen resolution and more storage than most Android tablets. I think it's safe to say that Android tablets are a dying breed. On the other hand, iPads seem to be as good as iPhones in terms of hardware and raw performance. My problem is the OS, the way it works is counter-intuitive for an Android and Windows user such as myself. I guess my mantra could be "Don't get on that plane, it will take off by itself and take you who knows where".

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I have no idea how effective it will be, but this is supposed to change this Fall when iPads are supposed to get their own separate fork of iOS called iPadOS (you have to scroll quite a ways down to get to the file management stuff):

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

scjjtt, raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  8. raspabalsa

I've read a few reviews of the beta of iPad OS, but most just skim the surface and don't show anything radically different. It's like the reviews were written by someone who watched a video of someone else writing a blog post of a video podcast where yet another person talked about the new OS. From the sparse info I think the sandboxes will remain in place, meaning the files will still be imported to a particular app and will remain unavailable to others. I may be wrong (I didn't watch the video 'cast ;) ) but I think Hook's link above doesn't show any radical change regarding the sandboxes.

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Pretty much, But Samsung is still keeping up it's TAB S line. These are high end, very high performance tablets competing with both iPads and the Surface. I still have my original Tab S (2013?) and it is going strong thanks to LineageOS. My son just bought a Tab S4 and he loves it.

Here are some leaks on the latest, the Tab S6.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/17/20698500/samsung-galaxy-tab-s6-leak-stylus-s-pen-august-7

So, it's weird. Essentially the Android tablet market has collapsed to one premium model, but that single tablet seems to be going strong.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I'm a little puzzled by the statement that Android tablets are a dying breed: There seem to me to be plenty available, from various manufacturers such as Samsung, Asus, Huawai, Lenovo, Amazon, etc. Is it maybe not the case that tablets in general, including Apple's, are losing market share to phones with larger screens as well as to lighter laptops?

scjjtt likes this.