How to install the new Aceeca 64bit drivers on a TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by WyreNut, Apr 26, 2011.

1. frav

frav Newbie

Wyrenut, greetings from Brazil. From what I understand, you are the master in Palm TX.
    Well, I had all the problems of other users with the hotsync on Win7-64bit, only to find the solution here: Aceeca drivers for USB.
    I updated the drivers in device manager, and realized the hotsync with partial success: with Contacts, Memos and Notes, the hotsync worked, but the calendar does not update at all.
    The Palm is trying to synchronize the calendar for more than 30 minutes, not ending synchronization. If the interrupt, both the HotSync Manager and Palm TX lock, and I need to restart them.
    Any idea, my friend? Thank you for your attention and sorry for bad English.

2. ddv

ddv Mobile Evangelist

I got this laptop before the Aceeca drivers were available, so I've been using bluetooth and wifi with Vista 64. Flash forward to last week, hard drive melted down, had my data all backed up, but the OS recovery disks had a bad spot, so now I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I thought I'd try the USB drivers, d/l and unzipped them. Plugged in the USB cable and got the expected failure. So far, so good...

Opened Device Manager. Now things get strange: I don't have any "Other devices". What I do have is an "Unknown Device" listed under whichever USB root hub I happen to have connected it to this time.

I tried opening DM with the SetDev.bat script, viewing by connection and by type. No difference.

Ok, so right click, update driver software, browse my computer to the extracted folder, click next. No joy: "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. I came close before I decided it was time to break out of the mold and strike off into uncharted territory. So I tried "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" then "Have disk". Browse to the .inf file in the folder, hit OK and:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I may not be all that bright -- as I said, at this point I've pretty much proved I'm borderline insane -- but I am stubborn. Sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out something new to frustrate me, I idly observed the nice flat wire of the retractable TX synch cable I've been using as an emergency charge cable off the USB port. Hmmm. Flat. Two wires. Damn.

So off I go to play with the dust bunnies behind the old desktop. Eventually my coughing fits exposed the mass of black round USB cables enough to start tugging on them seeking a free end with a TX synch connector.

Connecting the TX and laptop with the factory cable changed "Unknown Device" to "Palm Handheld". Eureka! Two minutes later, I had the drivers installed!

It still didn't hotsync though. WTF? In place of the yellow triangle and ! mark, I now had a light grey circle and ? mark. Oh, turn on USB in the hotsync manager connections... That's better.

Now it hotsyncs, albeit with errors: two files failed to backup. Blazer Field Autofill and PMTrace Database -- both return "Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)"

However, I'm getting the same errors when synching via wifi or bluetooth, so I guess it's nothing to do with the USB drivers. NVBackup will deal with those anyway. I just need to be able to get appointments and contact data back and forth, and now I have a third way to accomplish that if all else fails.

My thanks to those that worked this out and posted their solutions. Hopefully my little comedy of errors will help someone else.

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. hankroberts

hankroberts Mobile Enthusiast

rats, trying to use Win7 since Mac OSX 10.7 won't support Palm Desktop.
    I've got a Sony Clie TH55, not a Palm TX, hoping the same approach works.

but I"m using VirtualBox; this is a virtual machine. It does see the USB port and does see the "Palm Handheld [0100]" accessible.

In Windows , I get as far as opening the Device Manager and eventually, after a while -- it's showing "Sony Handheld" -- but error 10, cannot start

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Moderators, I'm bumping this thread up top because I met a guy in a Best Buy today who needed help with this and I told him to come here. I did not recall that the Aceeca drivers thread was in the Palm TX forum and not in the general Palm OS thread or something like that. I think the moderators ought to consider making this a 'sticky' up top in one of the more general threads so people perhaps looking for this help might find it more easily. So please do whatever you think best for maximum usability and visibility. Thanks.

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Unfortunately, the Aceeca links are 404. However, I found the drivers (after initially missing them because I was going too fast) on their downloads page here:

http://aceeca.com/index.php/downloads

I will download them and archive them in case they disappear. If they do, I will upload to my TX help page.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. EdmundDantes

You're the best Hook.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    jigwashere likes this.
  7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I just made an update to my Palm TX help page which points to where to download the driver and manual and points to this page for further instructions. The driver and the manual Wyrenut refers to in the OP are now both included in the zip. A lot of other links had to be updated. Palm stuff is disappearing like mad. :vbeek: :vbrolleyes: Alas.

8. EdmundDantes

Sadly, I don't see much sign that the guy I talked to has shown up here. I wrote out all the specifics as best as I could recall for him.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

He may have come to the site without joining or decided not to post. Either way, the fact that you reached out and tried to help is what's important. Good on you! :newpalm:

10. EdmundDantes

I felt bad for the guy as I've been in that situation before. The guy behind the counter was so young, he was perplexed by what Palm even was. The customer hadn't realized that Palm is essentially gone and even the knowledge base at HP was gone as well for the most part.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.