How to install the new Aceeca 64bit drivers on a TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by WyreNut, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I forced the syn down using the Task Manager.
    I installed the PalmSync and that seemed to go well. I then tried again to sync the Z22, it hung up worse, that is even though I was using the sync application for the calendar, not the overwrite, and the fact that the calendar on the Z22 had been successfully updated in the previous overwrite exercise.

I eventually forced the sync to stop, the cancel on the Z22 and on the DT did not cancel the sync in the time I was willing to wait. The DT flagged a message saying the cancel could take 1 minute. I waited at least 10.

This interrupt resulted in a total loss of data, both on the Z22 and on the DT. Not to worry, I backed the data up for the DT. I followed my usual cut-and-paste and rename to patch the saved data back into the DT. It didn't work, still no data displayed on the DT. I tried a couple of times and tried to rediscover where everything-Palm is stored on the (yes, MS can't leave anything alone when they update the OS) W7 file system. I accomplished little or nothing in this effort so I un-installed the Palm DT. Looking on the web for a version to download I couldn't find it (must have been getting tired) but to my credit I kept a copy of the DT 6.2 installation application in my download file. I re-installed the DT and patched in the saved data, and bingo, the DT was back. I'll admit a quick edit showed something I had entered in the memo section earlier that evening wasn't there - so it seems the back up data was a change or two short of being a complete recovery - not a big problem.

I now wonder if I can un-install the PalmSync and go back to were I was after installing the new driver. The only thing I really need the Z22 for is the calendar function, well the contact (phone) book would be nice tool The other stuff is on my computer and most of my memos are better read on a notebook screen. Thus I would be well served if I set the sync to involve only the calendar and contacts. Those did successfully update (I was doing an overwrite but assume sync would work to and be faster - only a test will tell).

2. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

First, I am not putting a lot of time in on this, but I tried something else tonight and will report.
    I am now operating using the W7 64 Bit Drive provided in this thread .
    I am now operating DT 6.2..whatever, with the calendar (date book) and the contact (address book) set for synchronize. I had been running earlier with the DT overwriting the PDA (Z22 in my case). So far this now works using the USB interface. I have not done extensive testing, but I have added a new calendar and new contact then ran a synchronize and the Z22 got the new information. I have not tired to run an audit to see if anything is missing.

This makes the Z22 useful (albeit I need to try a new entry on the Z22 to see if it transfers to the DT - maybe tomorrow night). The extensive memo information I have on the DT is fine if the only access I have is my notebook.

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Boy am I glad I've got a bunch of old XP machines around. I sync my Aceeca or the TRG Pro both at the office and at home. Which is something later WM devices wouldn't do. Or at least my Axim wouldn't do it.

4. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Current status, my Z22 with W7 64 Bit using the subject Aceeca drive will sync on both the calendar and on the contact list. I have done it several times and the data appears to update on the Z22 (I have so far only input new data via the DT). Memo will not sync, and I haven't tried since I last reported on this issue.

I may have a "data problem" in the memo files... I had problems even with the XP machine. At times data was lost, lots of data. It was suggested that I buy a data base correction program for Palm PDAs. I never did that, and I suppose if I had (or do) the memo sync could also be functional. Clearly the driver which now makes it possible to sync cal/contact doesn't know either of those from the memo data.

As said, I can use my notebook when I need information from my long list of memos... and I can carry my current calendar and contacts in my pocket via the Z22 which is up-to-date in those areas.

Thanks for the help, I think the drive is a winner.

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I believe that the driver is just that-- a driver. It is not a set of conduits, which are part of the Palm Desktop. The driver just allows the Palm and palm desktop to exchange data via the conduits. Thus any problems with syncing (as opposed to handshaking protocols) will continue even with the driver working.

The analogy would be to a printer driver. Say you have a word processor that is not behaving properly and sending bad characters to your printer. Without the right driver, it can't talk to the printer in the first place. Once you have the right driver, however, the word processor is still sending bad characters to the printer so you still don't have the result you want. Nonetheless, the printer works.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't done any of this.

So, yes, you still need to trouble shoot the memo problem to get them to sync. dbfixit from Pimlico software would be one place to start. Free to diagnose, only have to pay to fix.

6. kmoser

kmoser Newbie

Finally got this working on a friend's Win7 (64 bit) using Outlook 2010 (32 bit) and a Palm m505. Thanks for all the tips posted here! Outlook is part of the equation because my friend is using Chapura software to sync her Palm contacts with Outlook (bypassing the Palm Desktop).

Two things that weren't mentioned that I had to do:

- In Device Manager I had to select View -> Devices By Type or Devices By Connection (I forgot which now) in order to see the hidden devices. It wasn't enough to simply select View -> Show Hidden Devices.

- Once I got the hotsync running, Outlook kept interrupting the hotsync with a dialog box that said an untrusted program (in this case the hotsync) was attempting to access Outlook. The sync would SEEM to complete but it did not end up syncing. I had to run Outlook as an administrator (only way to do this is Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Enter, since right-click and then "Run As Administrator" was not available) and then in Outlook: File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Programmatic Access, then disable warnings when programs attempt to access Outlook programmatically.

Hope this helps others!

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, kmoser!

8. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

9. cyberqueen

cyberqueen Mobile Deity

Just in case anyone continues to have problems with the Aceeca 64-bit drivers on the TX, I might point out that I've succeeded in syncing my TX with the Palm Desktop 6.2.2 both via Bluetooth (after a good deal of hassle, discussed elsewhere) and via wi-fi. Now that I've got it working, I've continued to sync with Bluetooth and find it easy and fast. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from giving the Aceeca drivers a try--had I known about them when I was first trying to get my TX to sync with the 6.2.2 desktop, I'd certainly have tried the drivers first. But just in case that route doesn't work for you, I just thought I'd mention that there are other good options. (I should also note that I don't use Outlook and thus that was never an issue.)

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I hotsync with both usb and bluetooth. I found it easier to setup the bluetooth hotsync with m-Router and much more stable. This also allows me to listen to pocket tunes and download ebooks with bluetooth. I have Windows 7 Pro so I also cable hotsync in XP mode when I have it up and running for other programs I use.