How to install the new Aceeca 64bit drivers on a TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by WyreNut, Apr 26, 2011.

1. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Thanks to the great folks over at Aceeca.com (makers of NEW PalmOS Garnet devices), drivers for 64bit Vista and Windows 7 operating systems are finally here! There are many users reporting Palm Desktop 4.x is also working.

I have just synced my TX to my Vista64 bit laptop successfully via my USB cable! :)

The drivers are located here:

http://aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_category&id=8

Troubleshooting Guide and installation instructions (from Aceeca) for Windows 7:

http://www.aceeca.com/products/pub/...B_driver_installation_on_Windows_7_64-bit.pdf

Basic instructions:

1. Download the drivers and unpack them. Remember the folder you unpacked them to.

2. Try to HotSync your device. It will fail.

3. Open the Device Manager, and look for the Yellow Triangle next to Palm Device under "Other devices".

4. Right-click on the device, and choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Choose "Browse My Computer for Software" and direct it to the Aceeca folder you unpacked the drivers to.

6. Choose "Next" at the driver file location window, and then tell it to "Always trust software from Aceeca Ltd." then click the "Install" button.

7. I received an error message (Vista64) that told me "The drivers were installed but the device couldn't be opened." I saw that my TX had timed out and went to sleep. I tried a HotSync and it worked!!! :D

Good luck! Thanks again to Aceeca and Reb1 for reporting this link here.

(This is a repost of a thread I started over at the HPalm Support Community.)

User bobboffin has added this helpful post:

"After attempting your first HotSync and failing (as expected) you may be unable to find any trace of the device in Device Manager, making the next step quite difficult. This happened to me, and after some investigation I discovered the following tip that allows Device Manager to show hidden and non-present devices.

Open up Notepad and paste the following two lines into it:

set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    start devmgmt.msc

Save it as SetDev.bat into My Documents.

Open My Documents in Windows Explorer and double click on SetDev.bat. Device Manager should open.

In the View menu select Show Hidden Devices.

You may now see under the Other heading the failed device with a yellow triangle against it.

You can now proceed to install the drivers per the instructions.

Note that the driver supports most Palm OS versions. I'm actually using an Aceeca Meazura 1000 ruggedized PDA running OS 4.1"

Hope this helps bring new life to our TX's!

WyreNut

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thank you, WyreNut, for these excellent instructions. :)

3. clasi53

clasi53 Mobile Enthusiast

I don't know much about this. I downloaded the 64 bit thing. How do you get to the device manager? Tried to hotsync and it gets stuck during the calendar portion of the sync.

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

clasi53: Make sure you unzip the driver and know where it is.
    1: Push the key on your keyboard that has the windows flag symbol or place your cursor over the windows symbol at the bottom left of your screen in the taskbar and click on it.

2: Place the cursor over the word computer and right click. In the drop down list select Properties.

3: In this new window select Device Manager. It is toward the top left of the screen. You should now see the device manager window.

4: Provided that you have loaded palm desktop on your computer you should see a yellow triangle or symbol next to the word palm. Right click over this. You will choose update driver here. Another window opens up and you will choose Browse my computer for driver software. Another window opens and you will select the Browse and another window opens up and from here you will select where you downloaded and unzipped the Aceeca driver.

5: Select the driver and windows will ask permission and you will allow and it should install the driver.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Interesting choice. Is this a work device or what?

Me, I think I just need to start stockpiling XP's somewhere until all my handhelds are worn out. So far, I've skipped Vista and W7.

I wish I could either succeed in getting my Aceeca to sync with Evolution or be able to install Palm Desktop on my Compaq running Lubuntu.

6. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I would imagine he is using it for work. The Meazura1000 is actually waterproof and can take some rough handling. It can be ordered with a bar code scanner to use for inventory work or with other hardware accessories. You can also get class 1 bluetooth on it. The screen is probably daylight readable. This was Aceeca main product until recently. Warehouse, automotive, hospital use etc.

7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I remember seeing similar devices for inventory work, etc. That was back in the days when Symbol was licensing the Palm OS.

8. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I am running W7 64 Bit and Access 6.2.2 desktop. I use, or used, a Palm Z22.

The driver would not load. I can go try again to get the details, it was a few days back that I tried. I do have a download folder named: AceecaUSBDx64 that contains 4 files. I recall "pointing" the installer to that folder and the installer couldn't find needed information (files).:rolleyes:

Again I am trying to use to syc a Z22, but that should not be an issue at the point of trying to load the drive, right?

9. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Jerry_NJ: It sounds like you have the palm desktop 6.22 installed on your computer already.
    1: The Aceeca file is not an executable file. Meaning it will not self install. You have to manually load it in devise manager. It has to be unzipped so it can be installed when you go into devise manager otherwise windows cant find it in the location you put it on your computer.

2: Plug in the sync cord to the computer and the palm. If you did not get a message on the screen when you were running the palm desktop telling you the driver did not load correctly or such words you may see this now. We are talking about the existing driver in the palm desktop not loading here and we expect this to happen.

3: You need to see the palm driver with the yellow triangle in devise manager. Click on start or the windows key and you should see the start menu. In the start menu right click on computer and select properties. A screen opens up and near the top left you select devise manager. Look for the palm driver with the yellow triangle next to it here if not attempt a hotsync with your devise and it should show up. If the palm driver with the yellow triangle is there right click on it and select update driver. you want to choose browse for the driver not search the web because it is on your computer and not on the web. Once you have found the Aceeca 64bit driver select and load it.

If you are still having problems a detailed account of what you did would help.

10. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, when I connect the Z22 to the USB input I start hearing a "bonk" sound every 4 or 5 seconds and the DM shows under "other devices" a Palm symbol and a "yellow" something...can't say I recognize what it is.

Clicking on the "yellow" symbol, I get a dialog box that says: "Driver not installed ...(code28)...

When I click on "update driver" I am offered a choice to "browse" for the drive update software. When I try to "walk" through the steps to reach the folder holding the AccecoUSBDx64 download, it is in the default Windows 7 Downloads. The folder doesn't appear. The folder is there when I use the file explorer (manager).

The subject folder does contain 4 files, and I assumed that was the "unpacked" content of the download.

Not sure if this helps explain where I get stuck, thanks for the help.