How to install subhunt

Discussion in 'Games (Palm OS)' started by Glennski, May 5, 2020.

1. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

Let's see, old Palm M100 was just taken out of storage. Subhunt needs to be installed. I found a .prc file for subhunt online. If I just put it onto the sd card can I install it that way? Or does it have to be formally installed somehow?

Best game for palm maybe ever! Thanks

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

If you put it in Palm/Launcher on the SD card, the icon should show up in the SD Card category in Palm Launcher and you should be able to run it from there. I'm assuming the game is a Palm OS4 game, not a Palm OS 5 game, but I don't know the game.

3. Glennski

Thanks Hook! Correction is it's an old M500. Palm OS is 4.0. Little M500 can format the SD card but then the laptop cannot read the card. I do not have the Palm Desktop version that would support the old M500 device.

So close yet so far! I have the .prc version of the subhunt game on my laptop but no way of getting it onto the Palm that I can think of. Although, I do hail from the land of the tiny brained folk.:D

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hi Glennski. Have you tried sending the .prc file over Bluetooth? IIRC, the file should go to the Palm's main memory where it will be available for launch.

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I don't think an M100 has BT. I assume you are using an SD card that is 1Gb or less--anything bigger may format in the M100, but It probably won't work. I would format it in the computer and then pop it in the Palm. See if the Palm can read it.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I had forgotten that not all Palm devices have BT. Even if it's an m500, I checked specs and it doesn't have BT either. Sorry about that, Glennski. There was a time when I knew Palm devices' specs by heart!

I'd follow Hook's advice and format the card on the PC, then see if the Palm reads it. If not, it could be that the SD slot is not working on the Palm. Could be dust or corrosion on the contacts. This happened once on my TX, and I fixed it by spraying WD-40 on the card's contacts, then repeatedly inserting and removing it from the Palm's slot. This cleaned the contacts and the card worked fine after that.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Another option is to use the IR port. Some smart phones, like Samsung Galaxy S5, have an IR port, to support TV & set-top box control. Good luck!

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Of course, after posting, I realized I had no clue whatsoever *how* to access & use the IR port (I only a couple of weeks ago replaced my S5).

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

RTFM. :vbgrin:

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  10. Glennski

The hunt for Subhunt is still on!
    1. Subhunt.prc loaded onto a card and then copies onto M500. Result: You can see the cute little SubHunt icon in dear old black and white. BUT... Fatal Alert: SubHunt t.c, Line:721, Error loading Images ((Reset))
    2. Infrared might do the trick better but I suspect a file's a file and the error will still show. Maybe I downloaded a corrupted Subhunt.prc file..
    3. A clue, a clue!! Hardball.prc copied the same way gives me Fatal Alert HardBall.c, Line:699, Error loading Images ((Reset))
    4. Summary of happiness: actually SEEING the little Subhunt Icon in all its glory on the M500, no game so far

I love all you people, you know that right? There, I've said it. Thanks!