How to get rid of a red '1' against my Internet icon?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Mar 17, 2019.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

For a week or so now there's been a '1' in a red circle showing against the internet icon on my Samsung S5 home screen. When I select it, it takes me to an app that wants me to install an app for my phone plan -- but I've already got the app installed and running.

So any ideas how I can simply get rid of the '1' notification, please?

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks Mi An, I have found the system app called 'BadgeProvider', but I can see no option in it to specify whether or not it displays a badge -- assuming that's what the little red circle '1' that I'm seeing is a 'badge'. As per your link I've forced it to stop, but then 'Disable' is greyed out. When I leave the Applications Manager menu and return to it again, BadgeProvider is active again.

4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Sorted!

Now that I know that the feature is called a 'Badge', further search on the internet got me to this solution:-

Settings > Application manager > Show system apps > BadgeProvider > Storage > Clear data and Clear cache.

After rebooting my phone the '1' badge was gone and, on checking the BadgeProvider storage again I see that the Data and Cache numbers are back to what they were previously (they both went to 0.00 when I cleared them). So hopefully I haven't broken anything.

lelisa13p, Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

abenn,

While you got this sorted, I'd give strong pause to continuing to use Samsung's web browser. Their privacy policy for that browser essentially lets them trail you around on the interwebs, slurping your data to send advertisements to you. They've become the enemy, instead of the friend they've portrayed themselves to be.

They've also taken to obnoxious means to ensure that you continue to pipe all your information to them, by having Samsung Browser badger you to be the primary browser by asking you to set it as default over and over. Your only options are Yes, or not now. You can't stop it. That's abusive and totally not cool.

https://developer.samsung.com/internet/privacy-policy-us

https://account.samsung.com/membership/terms/privacypolicy?paramLocale=en_US

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

No worries headcronie, I rarely use the browser on my phone, and use Chrome on my tablet and desktop. I'm sure I'll get ads whichever browser I use, though without the provider 'slurping my data' they'll be less-targeted though just as numerous. I've learned to ignore them anyway!

RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  7. headcronie

You could load Firefox and the addons uBlock Origin along with Privacy Badger. Works well enough for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Any reason you don't just use Chrome on your phone, too?

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Sorry, I've been away from the site for a while. I have Chrome on my phone, but I can't find any way to get rid of Samsung's browser.

10. headcronie

The joys of bundled crapware. It's there for the life of the device. Just train yourself to ignore it.

jigwashere likes this.