How to connect my BB Bold to my home wifi ?

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by javierdl, Jun 29, 2015.

1. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

As you may already know, instead of providing the wifi info along with the passw assigned in your router to your BB, the BB device will generate a unique code on the fly just for that connection. The problem is that neither the device nor the manuals tell you WHERE to enter that code. The best I can guess is that it'll be somewhere in the router settings (?) but still wouldn't know where.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys :)

JDL

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

No offense, but are you sure that you are doing it correctly?

I know Bluetooth does that, but not WiFi from my knowledge.

I don't know what BB Bold model you have, but this video shows it like regular procedure for connecting wifi.

3. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

Thanks a bunch for sharing NetBrakr :)
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be quite the same interface/steps.
    After I have located the available networks, most importantly mine I select it and press the Enter button (if that's what is called), and then I get the reply below:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

On the above message I chose Cancel. Then it showed me the following message:
    But I am not too sure I have a PSK code. The one provided by my ISP for their wireless modem is for a Wireless network password (WPA2).
    [​IMG]
    I hit enter on the entry that says "Pre-Shared Key (PSK)", to see the choices it would show, but it only shows this:
    Save, Connect, Back, Switch Application, Close. I thought it would show more security types, other than PSK.
    Never the less, I entered my WPA2 password just in case and sure enough, it didn't work, see image below:

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JDL

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

It looks like you're using WiFi Protected Setup. From what I'm reading, this isn't considered a very secure standard and should be avoided if possible. You can read about it here: Wi-Fi Protected Setup.

Here are instructions for connecting with Blackberry Bold 9780, in case you decide to proceed.

EDIT - Maybe this video will help:

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

Thanks Jigwashere. Based on that tutorial, is it safe to say that my BB will only connect to my modem IF my modem uses WPS? I only have WEP, and WPA :(

JDL

6. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Unless your BlackBerry is locked down by your employer (mine is so I don't even have wifi as an option), you should be able to connect to wifi as on any other platform by making a manual connection as in this example:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smart...to_a_Wi-Fi_network_manually_60_1051268_11.jsp

It may look different on your phone depending on which model you have and how old it is.

Unless the phone is *very* old, I can't imagine WPA not working. WEP is very insecure.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

it might help if you told us the specific model and OS version of you phone..

Hook likes this.