How-to: Bluetooth Internet through PC

Discussion in 'Palm' started by DeanDC10, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ktcookin

ktcookin Newbie

It looks like canter said that it is possible to connect a laptop to the internet using the bluetooth connection to a Treo 650. Would you give more specifics on the process? I'm using a Verizon Treo 650 and have no problem connecting to my Toshiba Portege M200 laptop with bluetooth. I'm on the road a lot and would like to connect my laptop to the net through my Treo. Any suggestions? Thanks!!:D

2. crjanes123

crjanes123 Mobile Enthusiast

Followed all directions with varying success. Can perform a Hotsync no problem.

Limited email and WAP browsing but it seems to disconnect as a certain amount of data it downloaded.

Only difference is on my Advanced setting on Network preferences i do not have the choice of a PPP setting only the IP and Query DNS boxes are there.

When I try to Ping www.microsoft.com it times out.

Anyone with an idea?

3. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

I have found an alternate setup process to allow bluetooth internet sharing. It is actually easier to do and I have had NO problems connecting ever since I did this set up. I have:

XP home edition with SP2
    Lynksis BT adaptor (class 1)
    T3

On T3:
    Connection
    Connect to Local Network
    Via Bluetooth
    Device (your computer)
    Speed - 115,200
    Flow control - Automatic
    Network
    Service (You define the label)
    User name (leave blank)
    Password - prompt
    Connection (use the connection defined above)

Under "Details"
    Connection - PPP
    Idle timeout - Never
    Query DNS - No
    Primary and Secondary DNS (see below)
    IP address - - automatic
    Script - NO SCRIPTS!

The Primary and Secondary DNS servers we will get from the PC after we set up the connections so hold tight!

4. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

On the PC
    Go to network connections
    Select the Bluetooth connection and the connection supplying the PC with the internet. Right click on them and choose Bridge Connections.
    Windows will then create a connection between the two. It will create all the necessary settings for you. It should look like this when you are done:
    [​IMG]

Once bridged, right click on the bridge and select Status

[​IMG]

Click on the Support Tab
    Click on the Details button...
    This is what you should see:

[​IMG]

The Primary and Secondary DNS entries should be entered as listed on the PC (DNS Servers) into the coresponding areas on the handheld's Network preferences.

This was posted on a PPC forum site. I had lost the ability to connect to my ICS several months ago. Ever since I followed this, I have had 100% connections.

5. lawsonrw

lawsonrw Mobile Enthusiast

I am confused because on the set up page, you say you are using the Belkin F8T001 and F8T003 adapters, which one of the Palm pages says is compatible with the Treo650, but in this quote, you are saying that I would need a Bluetooth Access Point, which is different, than the USB Bluetooth Adapter, which both of those are. Please try your best to clear this up for me.

6. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I don't think I said you "need" and access point for the Treo 650.

A USB Bluetooth adapter should work with the Treo 650 following my guide.

The comment I'm making is that the Access Point is easier to setup, that is all. My guide is geared toward the USB Bluetooth adapter setup. An Access Point is usually connected directly to a router so no drivers are required on the PC.

7. lawsonrw

lawsonrw Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks.

So to make sure I have things understood:

A Wireless Access Point (WAP) NORMALLY is connected to a router. They are easier to set-up and require no additional software to be installed on the desktop/laptop or the Palm device.

So can the WAP connect directly to a computer, and if so, does the computer need to have wireless network cards installed onto the motherboard, or some other kind of hardware?

A Bluetooth Wireless Adapter (BWA) does require additional software to be installed on the desktop/laptop but not on the Palm device, right?

But which is faster, I have a DSL connection at home, and I want to surf using my Palm at the same speeds. If its going to be like 56k connection, I'd really rather just use the computer itself.

8. crjanes123

crjanes123 Mobile Enthusiast

Used a D-Link BT-122 and followed the instructions. Worked perfectly on my wired desktop but no luck on my wireless laptop.

Can live with that as I only want access within my house to surf and email.

Thanks for the info.

9. keatac

keatac Newbie

I have try on my treo 650 and my D-Link DBT-122 Bluetooth, It work great.

10. John Dilon

John Dilon Mobile Enthusiast

Guys, I tried it to and got no luck.
    Anyone who succeeded could post a detailled check list for the process would be appreciated.
    cheers
    jd