How-to: Bluetooth Internet through PC

Discussion in 'Palm' started by DeanDC10, Jan 30, 2005.

1. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

After following the BT Setup Guide, check the following:

1. In Palm/Prefs/Connections, check the Connection Log, IP Address and DNS, and confirm if they are correct. Try to Ping the IP of the PC and see if you get a reply.

2. In Blazer, setting/options, check if you are forcing Blazer to use a specific connection. If there is such setup, then choose the Connection you setup to connect to PC via BT.

3. If still not working, sometimes you need to assing the DNS Server IPs Manually in Palm. Get the DNS from the PC (ipconfig/all) and set them in Palm. This will happen if the PC does not supply the DNS to your Palm due to Windows problem.

4. Also, I think in Blazer you need to set the proxy you are using in the Internet Connection Settings of you PC, if any.

5. Are you getting any error. Let us know.

2. Playcentric

Playcentric Mobile Consultant

I am able to access PC from Treo via BT. There's no Proxy for PC, and I unchecked the Proxy in Blazer.

It is the Blazer that needs GPRS. I could not find any relevant settings for Blazer.

A treocentral thread suggested to use softickppp (424). http://www.softick.com/ppp/. Is this the only way to get it working?

TIA

3. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

The PAN profile IS NOT THE SAME as the Network Access profile. I state this very specifically in my guide:

"The Personal Area Network (PAN) profile does not work with this setup and should not be confused with the Network Access profile. If you show a Bluetooth PAN Network under Network Connections they are not the same and this setup will not work. If you have an adapter that has incomplete profiles you can go here to see if your adapter can use the Widcomm drivers."

This is why it does not work with the Billionton Bluetooth adapter.

4. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Once conencted via Bluetooth try using the Avantgo built in browser that is available free at www.avantgo.com

If this works or you can get mail with VersaMail then you know it is a Blazer issue and not a connection issue.

I have had a many users have issues with the Blazer browser, but eveything else works fine.

5. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

No, softickppp is not required. It is need in certain cases only. I once tried it, and it just confused me. I do not recommend to install a tool if it will not add any value.

For me to be able to help you, you have to confirm each point I mentioned in my previous post.

I remember that when I start the Blazer, it will force me to turn on GPRS, but it does not force me to use the GPRS Connection.

6. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

Thank you for clarifying this part.

Is there an add-on that will make palm talk to a PAN BT Profile?

I found the tool BtToggle, and it is mentioned in the features that it deals with Timeout errors, which is same error I am getting. Also, it talks about Master/Slave thing and that most Access Point will force to be the Master. Do you thing the BtToggle will solve the problem.

See the specs of the D-Link BT AP. It does not mention that it supports the Network Bluetooth Profile, it only says "Bluetooth specification v1.1 (PAN Profile) compliant". This is very similar to Billionton specs.

Check this post too:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=8&topicid=2126

This is too bad. With HP iPaq, I could connect with this BT AP in seconds, and with Palm, till now more than 6 months, and I am unable to connect !!!

7. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

Well, it looks like from this post:

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php?t-1177.html

You can use Tecom BT3021 to connect with Palm.

But, they say that LAN Profile will not be supported in future Devices, hence, Palm want have much chance to connect with BT Enabled Devices in the future, because only PAN will be supported.

I also found the following good source of info about TECOM:

http://www.pspilot.de/tecombt/tecombt.html

I think I am getting there. I just need to find a local supplier for this BT AP.

8. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

The profiles are specifically for Bluetooth USB adapters.

Bluetooth access points are quite different than USB Bluetooth adapters and should work without much setup at all. You should pair it to the AP and it should work after creating a connection in preferences.

That's it.

I would guess that the D-link should work. No drivers or profiles are installed on the PC so this should not be an issue.

9. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

According to this source:

http://www.pspilot.de/tecombt/tecombt.html

D-Link will not work.

10. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

That is too bad, it does look like D-link crippled their AP with limited profiles.

Doesn't make much sense to me. I guess you shouldn't get this either......

The T3 is actually a Class 3 device not 2 as mentioned in the linked information.

The fact that the D-link is Class 2 is a reason by itself not to get this device. Only get a Class 1 device, be it an AP or USB adapter.