How-to: Bluetooth Internet through PC

Discussion in 'Palm' started by DeanDC10, Jan 30, 2005.

1. kwilsonjr

kwilsonjr Newbie

Hi All,

I own the Treo 650 and have been corresponding with Dean regarding my success with his guide. I forgot to mention a couple of critical points. I am using Shadowmites Custom ROM#3

http://shadowmite.com/roms.html

Also, when assiging IP's to your BT LAN and Ethernet LAN on the PC, I had to actually assign identical IP's to to both i.e. 192.168.0.1

This caused XP to show an IP conflict dialog but just click 'NO' I don't want to resolve this now' and leave the IP's duplicated. For whatever reason, this allows me to use both PDANet on COM3 over BT, and PalmVNC over the 700kbps BT network (not simultaneously)

Maybe you networking guru's can figure out why this works, because i haven't a clue.

Now, what i am NOT doing is using an external access point to connect my TREO to the internet, rather, I am using my TREO as the access point for my laptop. This allows me to have internet access for my laptop virtually anywhere I can get Sprint reception.

The actual speed is a little better than 56k dialup.

I fought this scenario for two days before reading Deans guide and within about an hour I had it setup to use my TREO 650 as a BT remote control for my PC and connecting my laptop via BT/TREO to the internet.

Hope this helps.

Ken

2. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

Hi DeanDC10,

If you remember, I contacted you some time ago about a problem connecting PalmOne Zire 72 to "Billioton Bluetooth Access Point with Broadband Router".

I need to know if I can use any Bluetooth Access Point (BTAP) to connect PalmOne Treo 650 to the Internet? What is the compatible BTAP? Any specific brand?

Can I connect Treo 650 to Bluetooth USB PAN/LAN Profile on the Laptop for example, and setup Internet Connecion Sharing on the Laptop to share it with the Treo?

Thank you!

3. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

YES !

It worked !

I managed to connect a Treo 650 to a Hotspot at a Coffee Shop via Bluetooth. But, I had to connect via a Notebook that has Internet Connection Sharing setup via a Bluetooth Network.

This Notebook was setup as a bridge (sort of) and will be used to connect all Palm Devices to the Hotspot which is setup using Billionton Bluetooth Access Point.

I think this is great news for all PalmOne Treo 650 users.

However, it forced to turn on the Phone to connect to the Internet, which was a bit confusing.

4. tward1969

tward1969 Newbie

I am new to BT and Treo. If I setup a shared BT network connection, does this mean I am not hitting the data plan I have on my device? I transfered my SIM from a phone with only 1MB/month mmode data access and Cingular nails you for going over the data limit.

5. stevel

stevel Mobile Deity

If you are using the Treo's network connection for your PC, then you are definitely using data minutes.

6. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

If you are using Bluetooth to connect to your PC and sharing its Internet connection you WILL NOT be using any of your cell minutes or any data that is part of your cell plan.

Your using the Internet via your PC & Bluetooth not your cell phone.

7. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

Dear All,

I still have one thing stuck in my heart and I would love to do it!

I want to connect any Palm Zire 72/TT3 to a Bluetooth Access Point and I hope some one out there will be able to help me.

I tried to use Billionton Bluetooth Access Point but it does not like Palm devices, and likes PPC and Laptops only .... !!!!

I recently found a D-Link Bluetooth Access Point availbale in the local market, but it is a bit expensive. Before I buy it, I want to know if some one has tried it and if it works with Palm Devices.

Billionton BT AP is really very good, and it works smoothly with the Wi-Fi Network, the only problem it that it does not work with Palm.

8. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

My guess would be that the D-link BT adapter should work fine. If it says it supports the Network Access profile you are good to go.

Can't you just return it if it doesn't work? If so, give it a try.

Make sure you uninstall all previous Bluetooth drivers before installing the D-link drivers.

9. Playcentric

Playcentric Mobile Consultant

... while I have setup the BT connection successfully from my Treo to PC (on wireless LAN).

I unchecked the Proxy setting in Blazer and it still won't work. What am I missing? Please help. TIA

I have ATTWS (Cingula) Treo650.

10. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

With Billionton, according to the specs published on the web site, it says it supports PAN Bluetooth (which I think it is same as Network Access Profile), but it does not connect with Palm.

What I will do, I will go to the shop, and try to connect it there, if it works I will get it.

I am truly surprised that, for more than 6 months till this moment, I could not find one single Palm User who used an Access Point to connect with Palm???????

In the case of an access point, no software/driver is required what so ever, it is much simpler than connecting via PC ... just connect and surf ... if it works of course !!