How-to: Bluetooth Internet through PC

Discussion in 'Palm' started by DeanDC10, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I have a guide that is linked below and I am told it is very applicable to the Treo 650 and setting it up to share your PC's Internet connection via Bluetooth.

I do not have a Treo 650, but others that do have told me that my guide is very helpful.

I just thought I would pass it along on this forum.

Dean's Brighthand FAQ can be found here.

2. Excalibur

Excalibur Keeper of the Sword

Thanks. When I get a 650, I will try it....

3. bradm

bradm Newbie

Hi,

I'm a bit confused with what the 650 bluetooth is capable of. I've seen a couple of posts that say the 650 can access the internet using a bluetooth access point (including this one, and Dean's guide). However, info on the palm US web site seems to indicate its not possible:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bluetooth/treo650_bluetooth_compatibility.html

Be appreciated if anyone could categorically verify the profiles the 650 supports, if they've actuallly had it working, and what the range was. Is it possible that they've changed the profile support?

The palm one site says it doesn't support the HID profile either, but I've seen a report that it will work with a bluetooth keyboard. How does it do this?

Appears it only supports BT 1.1, anyone know what the downside of not supporting BT 1.2 would be?

Regards
    Brad

4. bradm

bradm Newbie

5. BEVAR

BEVAR Mobile Evangelist

Dean,

Do you fly for World?

B

6. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I used to fly for Gemini Air Cargo, but I now fly for Spirit Airlines.

7. BEVAR

BEVAR Mobile Evangelist

Oh, OK...cool.

I have a bud who flys the 11 for World. He was on the -10 panel for a while but upgraded a couple of years ago. I'm jerking the gear in the 73-800 now a days for the gang out of DFW.

B

PS. I love the 650...got a friend to get one last week...he loves it too!

8. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I do not have a Treo 650 so I cannot confirm this setup works. I have had emails from others that do have one and they have said that they did get it working per my guide.

If you can setup a Connection setting and Network setting as I describe in my guide then I would guess it should be possible. The profile limitations usually are from the Bluetooth drivers on the PC and not on the Palm. I guess Palm could have limited the drivers?

Worse case the Palm link above says it supports the serial profile so you could use Softick PPP if the LAN profile ultimately does not work. I'll email the person that said they got it working with the LAN profile just to verify.

If you can get these drop down menus it should work:

Attached Files:

9. bradm

bradm Newbie

Thx Dean, reply much appreciated,

I haven't actually bought a 650 yet, I wanted to make sure I could get wireless internet access in the house before I did.

From what you're saying, if I have an access point that supports SPP (I'm thinking of the Belkin BT access point), does that mean I should be able to connect to it directly, and have direct access to the network (and I gather be able to print as well). Or would I still have to have the PC turned on, with either a proxy server (I've seen talk of a server called mocha PPP) or ICS running?

Is anyone who has a 650 able to confirm the bluetooth options Dean has shown above, that would obviously be the best option?

Thx and Regards
    Brad

BTW, I sent in a support request to Palm (submitted before I found the 650 BT profile page) and got the following less than helpful reply (didn't actually answer the question):

Me:
    >Hi, I'm looking to purchase a Treo 650 or a T5. I currently own a TE. Sorry to use the support forum, but I've got no idea how to submit a pre-sales enquiry.

>I haven't been able to work out from your specs, or my browsing of the web what type of bluetooth network connectivity I can expect from these units.

>Can the 650 be connected to my LAN via bluetooth, if so how. Does it support the same bluetooth connections as the Palm Tungsten series? Will it work with the Belkin bluetooth access point for internet connection?

>Same questions for the T5? Does this have the same bluetooth profiles as the 650?

Reply:

Dear Brad:

Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is XXXX and we will be assisting you with your inquiry.

With regards to the Bluetooth profile of palmOne? handheld please visit the links below.

http://www.palmone.com/us/wireless/bluetooth/

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bluetooth/treo650_bluetooth_compatibility.html

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at: http://kb.palmone.com

Thank you for choosing palmOne.

Sincerely,
    palmOne Technical Support

10. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I did get a confirmation email that a Treo 650 user did follow my guide and he is using the Network Access profile without a problem. He is also using the Serial profile now as well.

I'm not sure why palmOne publishes conflicting information, but it appears that it is not completely correct.

If you go to a retail store and you are able to use or play with a Treo 650 you can look and see if the menus I mention on the above post are available. I would say they have to be since the above-mentioned user set he's Treo 650 up using my guide.