How to backup original x51v ROM?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jimcpl, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimcpl

jimcpl Mobile Consultant

Hi,

I'm getting an Axim x51v soon, and I'm thinking of trying an upgrade to WM6 or WM6.1.

But, if I do that, I'd like to have a backup of the original ROM (I don't care about backing up data, since, the x51v will be "new" to me) before I try the upgrade.

I've been searching for info about how to do such a backup, but I haven't found any procedure that I quite understand.

When I did some updates on a different device (an HP IPAQ) awhile ago, the update program allowed me to backup the original ROM before updating the new ROM.

Do the Dell updaters work the same way?

I notice that there are 3 on the Dell website, for "A00-A04", "A01-A06", and "A02-A12".

If I run the A00 installer, will it give me the option to backup whatever version of the ROM is originally on the device?

And, if so, how do I restore that backup again, later?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Two options to make a backup of your ROM version:

1) use the "secret" button combination to dump a copy of the existing ROM into a CF or SD card (with >256MB capacity) ... likewise, there's a different "secret" button combination to install a ROM image from such a card directly into the device or access the bootloader to do it ... I'll get back to you later (today or tomorrow) on that, need to get at my old notes.

2) download Dell's official WM5 ROMs, the latest version I believe was WM5A12; even if you cannot find the ROMs themselves, you can download the ROM Update/Installer app, extract it to some \temp folder on your PC, and copy the ROM (the big file :) ) from there. Not necessarily the exact same version your device current has installed, but still good to have.

Note that the Dell apps will not do anything - or try to do anything - if they detect that you are using the wrong device or have the wrong ROM installed. Basically, if your ROM isn't on their internal "upgrade from..." list they won't attempt to touch it.

Unofficial WM ROMs exist: WM5 (from A13 up to K17), WM6 (A03 and A04 still aren't hard to find), even WM6.1 ("LennyS" and "Kozura" versions, both still in beta last I checked). These all provide working SDHC support, most appear to slightly increase battery life. Check out xda-developers, Aximsite, and PPCGeeks.

3. jimcpl

jimcpl Mobile Consultant

Konrad,

I had tried something similar to what you suggested, i.e., run the setup EXE to extract the .nbf, put the .nbf on a SD card, then try to flash from that, etc., awhile ago, on an rx1950, but it failed, giving me a "Wrong image" message.

I'm only mentioning that, even though it was an rx1950, and not an x51v, because I'm wondering whether the situation would be different (i.e., does it work) with the Dell x51v vs. the HP rx1950?

FYI, I got kind of anxious waiting for info, so I had posted asking the same question on mobilitysite.com, and I did get a response from someone there, where he said that the x51v could be flashed back to A12 but you had to put a .nb0 and .crc file on the SD card. Here's the link to the thread on mobilitysite.com:

http://www.mobilitysite.com/boards/pda-axim-newbies/234782-how-backup-original-x51v-rom.html

If you find info about the "secret" button you mentioned to dump the ROM to an SD card, I'd still be very interested, so please post back.

Thanks,
    Jim

4. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Ah, understand that on your PC the ROM image will be stored as a file; it will have to fit whatever "envelope" the PC's file system uses for file handling; it's probably padded with some extra bytes to describe Windows icon properties, folder paths, times and dates ... all stuff that's incidental and not actually part of the ROM data itself.

It is not usable "as is"; it must be dumped - not copied - onto a flash card. Written directly to the card so that the first byte on the card is the first byte of the data, etc. ... a utility like WinHex will allow you to do a sector-by-sector or "image" copy. It's not as hard as it might sound, just mildly inconvenient. Maybe a better way to explain this is by understanding that your iPAQ's bootloader doesn't have a file system and must simply accept ROM image data in "plain and simple" binary format, not prettied up by Windows.

Of course I can't make much sense of my cryptic old notes now.

But you can use a tool like http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=238945"]GrabIt[/URL] to create your own nb0 (ROM image). There ya go, one ROM backup.

Here's the link that I used, back when I needed to do this sort of thing. A little bit lengthy, but just read through it then follow step by step (the first time, at least) and it's quite easy to figure out.