How to add games to my Dana by Alphasmart

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by stephen010, Jun 17, 2017.

1. stephen010

stephen010 Newbie

I have a real problem. I am a complete newbie to the Dana. What I need, that the internet is not providing, is a complete dummies guide to downloading, adding, and running games on my Dana. I have a windows computer and an SD card. How do I achieve this?

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Welcome to Brighthand, Stephen.

It has been years since I've used my Dana and I only used it for writing and not games, but I'll try to get you started here. The Dana is a Palm OS 4 machine and you get compatible games (or any other compatible Palm OS software) onto it the same way you would for a Palm handheld. You would sync it with Palm desktop. The version of Palm Desktop intended for the Alphasmart Dana is available for download HERE. That link also has a good number of user manuals-- again, you won't find much about games.

Another great resource is the Alphasmart Writing tools group over on Flickr. You will find them HERE. It is currently active with many Alphasmart users (you won't find many here) and there are a few not-too-old threads discussing using games on DANAs. Feel free to ask questions there. They (we, actually. I'm part of the group) are a friendly bunch even if they are writers rather than gamers.

Palm OS games and other software, especially for Palm OS 4, are getting harder to find. And most palm programs do not take advantage of the Dana's odd screen dimensions, intended for writing lines of text.

Hope this helps get you started.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  3. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

One thing I forgot to mention. There are various complications in getting newer versions of Windows working with legacy versions of Palm desktop. What may be simpler is to use a utility called MyInstall that allows you to install Palm programs from the SD card without using the desktop. You can find a copy of this utility at my web site: http://www2.hookmt.com:8080/Palm/ Again, recommend talking to folks at the Flickr site.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Stephen.

I can't add to Hook's excellent advice since I don't think I've ever seen or used a Dana. But once you've mastered installing stuff, please let us know. Some of us have collections of PalmOS software, and possibly a few of the games in my files will run on the Dana. I wouldn't know how to check for compatibility, though. I guess you'd have to install and test each one.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, stephen010!

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.