How to add apps to Ring wheel?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by javierdl, Sep 20, 2014.

1. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

Hi all.

I noticed my new Moto G (Kit-Kat) has that same Ring wheel giving you quick access to apps, like the one in my 7" tablet with Android 4.1.2. The Ring appears as part of the locked interface.
    In Android 4.1.2, one can go to settings/Device/Ring to add/replace apps.
    But in Kit-Kat, Ring is not under device, nor anywhere else. At least not in this phone.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks guys!

JDL

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm sorry, but even doing a short Google search didn't help -- can you be more specific about the Ring wheel? how do you access it? do you mean just swiping the home screen left or right (I don't think that's what you mean but can't think of much else)?

3. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

Thanks for replying RickAgresta.
    This photo only shows 1 app in the wheel because I haven't added more.
    [​IMG]

4. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I suspect that is either an app that modifies the lock screen or, possibly an alternative ROM (the fact that there was setting for it under settings makes me think the latter). That doesn't look stock to me. Another possibility is Xposed Famework.

5. RickAgresta

If it's an app, even a locked one, it should be listed in Settings/Apps. maybe going there and looking will be helpful. is it a launcher? also, have you looked in the Apps drawer, and in Widgets, or in the notification bar? sometimes, if it's a widget or, especially, has an icon in notif. bar, you can get to settings that way.
    good luck Javier, interesting problem

6. Hook

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

8. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

Mmm, your suggestions make me think of the fact that the tablet is from Acer, whereas the phone is not (Motorola). So it is apparent the Ring wheel launcher has been implemented in a different way.
    RickA: "If it's an app, even a locked one, it should be listed in Settings/Apps. maybe going there and looking will be helpful..." I did check every single choice in the phone settings and none is for that Ring wheel launcher, unless I'm blind. But I checked it maybe 3 times already.
    Btw, I never installed any third party launchers on either devices.

Mind you, the photo is not that good. That white circle actually says Google inside.
    [​IMG]

9. Hook

That's Google Now, which if Google Now is activated will bring up your Google Now cards and search, or just search if it is turned off like I have it. It may be that Google Nw will let you have Google apps on that wheel, i've never tested, but what you showed before is not Google now and I suspect, if not an app, was an ASUS customization.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

You solved the mystery Hook!
    It is Google Now! Which I didn't know nor try before. I'll try it. I might find it handy.
    About the functionality from my Acer tablet, I might try WidgetLocker, thank you for suggesting it Hook :)

JDL

RickAgresta likes this.