how do i open AVSEQ01.dat file on storage card with media player?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by renob, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renob

renob Mobile Deity

first off, i cant even figure out how to open files with media player 8, i only see local documents folder and web favorites folder, and the default empty playlist, i want to open the AVSEQ01.DAT which is installed on my sd card, how do i do this?

i have a ton of movie cd's with AVSEQ01.DAT, AVSEQ02.DAT, AVSEQ03.DAT, etc. files on it, all i do is open media player on my desktop, click open, and open it manually with media player and it works

how do i do this with sd card...?

thanks guys!

ps- i heard something about people being able to play only 128bit songs or lower with media player 8...is this true? i just played a 320 bit song and it played fine...or was it actually playing 128bit and just said it was 320? thanks again guys, any info would be appreciated

2. shekPPC

shekPPC Flimbys

Sounds like you ripped those dat files from some VCDs/SVCDs. I haven't tried loading them on my PDA yet but I agree with you that they work on the Windows desktop player.

If you actually want to be able to watch these movies on the go and have them stored on either SD or CF then you'd be much better off converting them to divx files first. The files sizes will be MUCH smaller in comparison. I use divx and can get ok quality with some lowish settings which gives me about 1meg space per minute of video :)

3. renob

renob Mobile Deity

the avseq01.dat file is a 24 minute mpeg thats 225mb's

how do i convert that to divx without losing quality?

also, whats the best movie/divx player (free)?

thanks

4. renob

renob Mobile Deity

umm wmp 8 sucks...out of the 3 mp3's i put on the card only 1 of them plays, it cant play avi's it cant play mpg's wtf?

again i ask, how do i open files directly from the card FROM media player

5. renob

renob Mobile Deity

allright i went to vcdhelp.com and converted the .dat file to divx 5.03 avi

will download pocketdivx and see if it works

6. renob

renob Mobile Deity

lol pocketdivx is horrible

non stop crashes with mp3's, mpeg's, avi's, everything

pocket pc isnt going so well right now...grr

7. shekPPC

shekPPC Flimbys

8. renob

renob Mobile Deity

tried that, ur right it is more stable but the quality of my divx is pretty poor...im going to stick with mpeg

now if only i can figure out how to lower the quality of my mpeg to make it smaller than 220mb/22minute movie and be more than 6fps with pockettv

currently heres the file specs of the mpeg:

MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Audio 44100Hz 224kbps

it is 22 minutes long and 220mb, i get 6fps when playing this mpeg with pockettv at these settings

i want to make the mpeg with these settings, to lower the file size down to 162mb:

Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 320x240 29.97fps CBR 900kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 128kbps)

i tried doing this with TMPGEnc and it wont let me, i select the mpeg file, i go to advanced and i set all my preferred videa and audio settings and it says estimated file size 160MB, i say great and click SAVE, it saves it EXACTLY the same...i dont get it, exact same videa and audio specs and exact same size

please if someone could help me and tell me what im doing wrong with TMPGEnc to make the mpeg lower res, lower audio and video bitrates i would greatly appreciate it

9. shekPPC

shekPPC Flimbys

Look at the following guide...

BUT skip to section 5 where it starts talking about using TMPGenc. Also ignore the bit where it asks you to open an .d2v file. Just open up the MPG file you want to mess around with.

http://www.pocketmovies.net/dvdrip.php

It's pretty simple if you've got a little bit of video encoding knowledge. Plus, you might wanna knock the FPS and Video BPS down a bit... 15fps is still quite viewable and reducing video quality to something around 150kbp to 200bps is still good...

Oh and did I mention I can get aroun 1meg to 1min of video with divx and lowish settings? I did? Well, never hurts to drum it in :)

You really should give Divx and VirtualDub another shot if you want to save LOTS of space. I managed to get "Die Another Day" yes the ENTIRE MOVIE all 2hours+ of it on to a 128MB SD card!

10. renob

renob Mobile Deity

i looked at the guide and thats the exact same thing i did before except i didnt choose interlace

and the buffer setting was at 40, not 0 (automatic)

oh well ill try it like this hopefully it will work

thanks man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.