How do I move SMS messages from my phone to my PC?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hello everyone!

I think I'm missing something obvious here, because I've done a search and can't find many similar questions.

I have text (sms) messages on my Win Mob 6.1 phone. I want to get them onto my PC and save them for later viewing. How do I do that?

What would be ideal is if they could sync with Outlook 2000, so they show in my email inbox with regular emails. Any suggestions please?

2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Not sure if my memory is working right, but doesn't Dashwire offer that functionality?

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks for the replies.

From what I read in that link, MyPhone won't do anything with SMS. In any case, I won't be using that services for a number of reasons. Firstly, I don't use Exchange, I sync with my laptop directly; there's no way I'm sending my clients' confidential data to a third party so I can sync remotely; and I don't leave my laptop switched on unless I'm with it anyway.

I'll look into Dashwire soon, thanks.

Just to elaborate, I want to keep SMS messages long-term for record-keeping. Ideally, I would like the SMS to be copied to Outlook so they can be stored with emails in an Outlook .pst file. If that's not possible, I need another solution that would simply allow them to be stored in a .txt or maybe Word format so they can be searched and read from Windows or MS Word.

Thanks again.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Would this do anything for you?

6. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks JD. That looks like a workable soultion. Would be better if I could sync the SMS with email, but CSV would be a good enough alternative.

7. go1ndr

go1ndr Mobile Enthusiast

One possibility is that you can email them to your pc email program using the forward (usually under "reply" on smartphones) and that way it will go to your email program. I have an Samsung Epix smartphone and have that option, but I think most phones do that allow for forwarding of text messages. Hope this helps.

8. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks for the idea go1ndr, but I have 368 in the inbox alone, plus sent. It would be a long job.

I'm sure there was some software I saw once that did this, but I can't find it now.

9. go1ndr

go1ndr Mobile Enthusiast

Bummer! that's a ton! I'll talk to my hacker friend and see what he can come up with. Does your phone have a scan card that you can "move" them to and then transfer from the scan card to your PC? Just another thought.

10. go1ndr

go1ndr Mobile Enthusiast

ps: one more thought, is there a sync ability on your phone, whereby syncing with your PC? if so, see if there is a "sync to" box that you can check on your hot sync or active sync that will do the trick.