How do I get audible alerts for subfolders in email?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by headcronie, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

WM 6.1 on the Treo Pro.

I use sub folders below the inbox on my exchange account for work. I've gotten them to sync and they appear on my device, but I am not alerted to them. This is a trouble spot for me, as those folders are time critical. I can't sit there and constantly look at all my subfolders on my phone. I might as well sit at my desk all day and never move.

How do I go about getting alerts on these?

Oh, I'm using the stock Outlook Mobile program do do email.

Thanks.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

This might be a chance to learn something.

As far as I know, Desktop Outlook doesn't have an option for alerts on sub-folders, so I would be surprised if Outlook mobile could. In Outlook, you can have a sound play when a rule moves it from the Inbox to its subfolder. Does Mobile Outlook have rules?

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Pretty much, the same suggestion as Hook's. Yet, in desktop Outlook (curious coinage :)), a single rule can be defined to both alert and relocation for the same incoming message; besides, alerts can be defined to pop in a New Elements Alert window, or in a little temporary alert (Desktop Alert), or both. So, new messages can be reviewed opened from the New Elements Alert window, without surfing to their respective sub-folders.

If Mobile Outlook can alert for the very arrival of an email, it's likable to do it when the email arrives at the Inbox, and if there's a rule capability effecting on its relocation, the alert itself could be enough to demand attention. Again, if Mobile Outlook has Rules.

4. headcronie

Agreed. Desktop you need to create a rule.

I do not see any way to create rules on the mobile side. Gah. That's going to drive me nuts. So much for folder use. :(

5. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

That is a good question, I did some quick digging on my Incite (WM 6.1) and was not able to find a way to set rules.

Now you have me curious!

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm not surprised there are no rules to move items to folders on a mobile email client. If you set up your email for IMAP, your desktop client can run the rules and the web and mobile client will see the result. This wouldn't solve the problem of alerts, however.

7. headcronie

Got the rules set on my server and desktop to move items. I cannot get alerts yet.

Now I've done something else, and email stopped syncing. Ugh.

Woo... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.