How do I convert .PWI audio files from my iPAQ to .WAV or equivelant

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by ejvandalen, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejvandalen

ejvandalen Mobile Consultant

I would like to make audio recordings and send them to my family as e-mail attachments. I haven't figured out how to convert from .PWI to a format that the general PC user can play.

2. ejvandalen

ejvandalen Mobile Consultant

3. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

"Turn Your Voice Note into a
    WAV File"
    By Todd Ogasawara, July 19,2000

One of the Pocket PC?s many wonderful features is the ability to record voice notes using the Notes application. But did you know that you can extract the voice note from the Notes PWI file and save it as a stand-alone WAV file on your desktop or notebook PC? This article shows you how perform this extraction.

What You Need:

The Windows Sound Recorder
    accessory (it?s under
    Entertainment in your
    Windows Accessories).
    A desktop application like
    Microsoft Word 2000 that can
    read Notes PWI files.

We?ll prepare your Voice Notes files for use on your desktop through these general steps:
    1.First we?ll ensure that the voice recording format on your Pocket PC is compatible on your desktop.
    2.Then we?ll extract a WAV file from a PWI file.

Gotchas
    Your Pocket PC?s default voice recording file format may not be compatible with the Sound Recorder on your desktop PC. A voice notes file I created on my HP Jornada 545 in HP Dynamic Voice 16,000 Hz, Mono, (1 KB/s) format, for example, would not play on my Windows 2000 desktop PC. You can, however, change the recording format on your Pocket PC, as described below, before you create voice notes files for play back on your desktop.

Languages Supported
    All languages are supported.

Check and Adjust Your Voice Recording Format
    The Sound Recorder accessory on your desktop PC cannot work with some voice recording formats. I found that the .pcm 8,000 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono (8 KB/s) format worked on the Windows 98 and Windows 2000 desktop PCs I use. You may need to experiment for your particular Pocket PC and
    desktop PC. Here is how I changed the voice recording format to the sound file format that worked for me:
    1.From Start, go to Notes.
    2.If not in Notes file list mode, click ok on current note to get to Notes list mode.
    3.Then select Tools, followed by
    Options, then Global Input
    Options.
    4.Set Voice recording format to PCM 8,000 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono (8 KB/s)
    (seeFigure 1).
    (photo missing)
    Figure 1: Pocket PC Global Input Options menu.
    5.Tap OK.
    Extracting a WAV File from a Notes PWI File
    You may have up to five windows opened: Two Sound Recorders, ActiveSync Explore,
    Windows Explorer, and Word. However, the procedure itself is simple and can be done relatively quickly. Here are the steps to extract a WAV file from a Notes PWI file:
    1.If you store your Notes files on a CompactFlash? card, use
    ActiveSync Explorer and your
    Windows Explorer to copy and
    paste the PWI Notes file from your Pocket PC to your desktop PC. Otherwise, you can find your Notes files in your desktop PC?s
    Synchronized Files folder.
    2.Open the PWI file on your desktop. I used Microsoft Word 2000 in this example (see Figure 2).
    (photo missing)
    Figure 2: A Notes PWI file in Microsoft Word 2000.
    3.Right click the speaker icon that you see in the Microsoft Word
    document window.
    4.Click Sound Recorder Document Object.
    5.Click Edit.
    6.Click the Sound Object pull-down Editmenu.
    7.Click Copy.
    8.Open a second Sound Recorder. It should be found under Programs, then Accessories on your desktop
    PC (see Figure 3). You will need a second Sound Recorder to copy
    the sound data from the Notes file and save the sound data as a WAV file.
    (photo missing)
    Figure 3: The Sound Recorder Object opened from Microsoft Word is on the top. The Sound Recorder opened via Windows is on the bottom.
    9.Click the second Sound Recorder?s pull-down Edit menu.
    10.Select Paste Insert.
    11.Click the second Sound Recorder?s pull-down File menu.
    12.Click Save As? to save the WAV file in the folder of your choice.

Conclusion
    Twelve steps may seem like a lot of work just to save a Voice Note as a WAV file.
    However, you will find that the steps blur into a simple fluid process after performing the task a few times. And, if you need to store your Voice Notes as WAV files for file management or other reasons, dealing with the small learning curve related to this procedure is well worth the effort."

................. or, you can do as I do, which is to record from list view if I record in the Notes application. However, I usually use MS Voice Recorder for CE 2.11, as I like it better. Sorry about the lost illustrations; I grabbed the above article way, way back, and lost the link.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  4. CanyTech

CanyTech Newbie

Actually, it's a lot easier than that, at least with Windows Mobile 2005. If you use Windows Explorer to open your device and navigate to the My Documents folder, you can drag and drop the .wav file onto your desktop. With Windows Mobile 2005 it will still have a .wav extension when you get it this way. (As I recall, sound files in Windows Mobile 2003 had some other extension on the device, but if you drag it directly from the device and rename it on your PC to .wav you should be all set.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.