How can I transfer VOB files to my Samsung Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by IEEElectrician, May 6, 2014.

1. IEEElectrician

IEEElectrician Newbie

I have collected several movies on my Mac Mini and the majority of them are in VOB files. I'm trying to move them over to my Samsung Galaxy S4 to watch outside but I'm having trouble finding a program that's free / doesn't produce watermark. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, IEEElectrician!

Are you trying to convert the VOB files to another format, then copy them to your S4? Or are you trying to copy them as VOB to the S4, then play them in the S4?

If you want to convert them, try Handrake. This program will let you convert the movies to MP4 or MKV formats, and has lots of options to tune the output quality. It's a free program and does not leave a watermark on the movie. Handbrake is available for Windows and MacOS computers. I have only used the windows version, but I'm guessing the MacOS version will be similar. Once you've converted the movies you can choose the video player. I prefer MX Player, but there are other apps that will read MKV files.

If you want to copy and play the movies as VOB directly on the S4, again MX Player can help you. This app will play VOB files and will let you choose audio and subtitle tracks. MX Player has a free but ad-supported version, and a Pro version with no ads. Both versions are free of any watermarks.

EDIT:I don't remember if MX Player shows ads while playing a movie... unless this is what you mean as "watermark" then what I said above is accurate. I use the Pro version and Ad-Free to block any incoming ads.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Handbrake is an excellent program, and from what I've read it's better on the Mac than on the PC. Check out this article on Lifehacker for some tips on how to use it: How to Rip a DVD to Your Computer. I'm on a PC and use Handbrake all the time to recode videos to watch on my Android smartphone as well as stream through my Plex server. It's quick and easy, using one of the included templates, or you can configure it how you wish.

4. jigwashere

I just transferred a 7.69GB Video_TS DVD folder to my LG G2 and played it with Goodplayer. The player does okay, playing the video files in the correct order, but I had to select the correct audio track each time it transitioned to the next VOB. The video was a bit pixelated, but I was surprised it played at all! :)

5. IEEElectrician

IEEElectrician Newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone! Has anyone tried using the Macx video converter? I know it doesn't have watermark but I've heard it can convert really quickly.

6. raspabalsa

Conversion speed mostly depends on your computer's raw power (CPU, RAM, etc): Using Handbrake a full DVD movie will take about 25 minutes on my laptop (2-gen i7 @ 2.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM), and about 35 to 40 minutes on my desktop (first-gen i7 @ 2.0 GHz, 6 GB RAM). Conversion speed also depends slightly on the video quality you select, that is, converting to a higher quality will take a little more (about a minute or 2 at most).

But I have no idea how long it takes to convert on a Mac... it's been almost 20 years since I used a Mac, back when the PowerPC line was brand-new!

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Don't some cards and phones have problems with files over 4 GB? I've heard that but haven't done it myself. I mostly use smaller, compressed formats. Playing VOBs, ISOs, TS files, etc. is cumbersome at best I think. Handbrake is good though.

8. raspabalsa

SD and SDHC cards do not support files over 4GB, but SDXC cards do support them. But yes, playing .VOBs even on a PC is cumbersome.

9. jigwashere

The file system used on SD and SDHC cards is FAT32. Any drive, including hard drives, that are formatted FAT32 will not support files greater than 4GB. On a Windows PC, you can format your SD or SDHC cards with NTSF file system, which supports files over 4GB. Of course, it really depends on whether your device support NTFS.

SDXC cards use exFAT file system which support files greater than 4GB.

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Oh I see. I thought there were other limitations as well for large files on phones. Thanks.