How can I prevent Chrome from redirecting to Play Store when accessing Wikipedia links?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I installed the Wikipedia app. In chrome, I went to a Wikipedia site and choose to always open the Wikipedia app. Then,I uninstalled the app and everything is back to normal.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That didn't work, but it got me thinking. I re-enabled JavaScript and ran a few tests. See the image below:

Screenshot_2014-09-13-20-44-06.jpg

I searched for "t-rex" on Chrome. See that the first hit is a link to "en.m.wikipedia..." while the second one says "Wikipedia app - Installed" even though that app is not installed on my device. Tapping on the first link displays the "complete action using" dialogue where Chrome, Wikipedia, Dolphin, and a few other options are shown. If I select the wikipedia app as default, of course it will forever open links with it. If I select Chrome ad default, then all links to the mobile wikipedia's site will be opened under Chrome.

Tapping the second link, however, will not show the "complete action using" dialogue (even if I dismissed it earlier), and will even ignore that Chrome is selected as default if I did select it in the dialogue. Instead, will open the link immediately on the wikipedia app if installed, or take me to the Play Store page to install it if missing. I have no idea why on Chrome some google hits are shown as mobile and some not. On Dolphin things are different: searching "t-rex" yields the same first two hits as on Chrome, but both are shown as "en.m.wikipedia" and tapping on them opens the wikipedia mobile site. No "complete action using" dialogue is shown and Chrome is not launched even though it was selected as default earlier.

Weird... very much so. Starts to sound as if it's an user agent issue, as Hook suggested.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Some say 'user', some say 'user agent.'

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa likes this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    raspabalsa likes this.
  5. raspabalsa

Thanks, jig. I see it's not as uncommon as I thought. Too bad there seems to be no solution yet. I guess I'll have to switch to Dolphin or Boat browser as my main app.

6. raspabalsa

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    jigwashere likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Either is a good alternative, and to be honest, IME, either is faster than Chrome. The free versions, though, don't sync with desktop bookmarks, for Boat, anyway. I believe. Maybe. Your Mileage May Vary :vbrolleyes:

8. raspabalsa

Bookmark sync is one the features I most need and use... I'm trying Boat alongside Dolphin now, let's see which one can work.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I've used FF for that functionality, and it works pretty well, just that the browser is slower (imo) than either Boat or Dolphin.

Boat Pro key is currently 40% off ($3.09USD) in Play store.

Good luck raspy! <rick wonders what kind of treats, other than the obvious, that anteaters like…>

raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Just in case this wasn't clear, Raspy, Boat (Pro Key) will sync with desktop FireFox.

RickAgresta likes this.