How can I prevent Chrome from redirecting to Play Store when accessing Wikipedia links?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Turn off JavaScript just to see if that changes things. I don't consider that a solution, but might provide more clues.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Edit: Sorry, didn't catch that root is required. Don't know if you have that.

Try this. (Just shooting in the dark. I don't use Chrome).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appo2.ua&hl=en

According to a Google page I turned up, a control for changing user agent hasn't yet been natively provided in Chrome for Android, but it is coming.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Wow... thanks for all the help!

I do have root access on my device, so I can try all the suggestions above. May take a while until I can report back (I'm still at work). I'll start with the file manager thingy Rick mentioned.

That Palm reference almost brought tears to my eyes. I thought of my TX, and suddenly I realized I left it back in Ecuador a few months ago! Next week I'll get my chance to retrieve it.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

Some success already... and the answer was in Chrome itself.

But first, modifying the root file didn't have an effect. On my device the entry's value was "true" already, and I changed it to "false" and rebooted, but couldn't see any difference in Chrome's behavior, meaning I still got redirected to Play Store when following wikipedia links.

However, Chrome's menu has a checkbox labeled "Request desktop site"... of course I hadn't noticed this checkbox before :rolleyes:. Checking it and tapping on a link sends you to the destination's desktop site, not the mobile one. So, wikipedia links open properly now, without redirecting to the Play Store. But, and this is the weird part, if the box is checked, and I hold a link to open it in a new tab, the mobile version will open instead of the desktop one. In the end this means I have the option to open a link in desktop or mobile version, just depending on how I open it. I know, sounds like I've re-discovered warm water, but this problem has been nagging me for quite some time.

Still, it feels like something is wonky on my devices' Chrome, so I'll look into the other suggestions later.

EDIT: Seems the "request desktop site" works on a per-tab and per-session basis. It doesn't "stick" across all tabs, and reverts to unchecked if I exit Chrome. So, a temporary solution so far.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Ok, that did the trick. Googling anything, wikipedia links are shown "m.wikipedia", and tapping them sends me directly to wikipedia's mobile site, as it should be. What may be the problem? <carefully loosening the laces>

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I missed the Palm reference. Did you mean the saved v. unsaved preferences? Because I reached a point with Palm where I couldn't get it to access the full version of some websites, much like Raspa's original problem with Android.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

RickAgresta, raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  8. raspabalsa

Malwarebytes found no malware on my device. I tried both the regular scan and with the "Scan archives" option enabled. Seems my device is clean, as a good homebody phone should be :D

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I wonder if it might be something to do with DNS. Have you tried this on wifi vs cell data or Columbia vs Ecuador?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    scjjtt likes this.
  10. raspabalsa

On both WiFi and cell data all wikipedia links get redirected to Play Store to install the wikipedia app. If I disable JavaScript then both my S3 Mini and Xperia Z1 will redirect links properly to mobile wikipedia's site.

To recap, seems it's not malware, it's not the device, it's not my WiFi connection, it may be some setting on my browser or google account that's spread to my two devices, it seems to be Java-related, and it does not affect Dolphin Browser. I bet it's Mrs. Peacock with the rope in the sitting room :D :D

I'm a bit far from Ecuador right now... I'll be there next weekend, and I'll be sure to test, but hopefully this problem will be solved soon.

RickAgresta likes this.