How can I prevent Chrome from redirecting to Play Store when accessing Wikipedia links?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, Sep 13, 2014.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I don't like the Wikipedia app for Android for a number of reasons, so I don't have it installed on my device and instead I browse the wikipedia on Chrome and search using google. However, if I search with google for any stuff and tap on a link to a wikipedia article, Chrome redirects me to the Play Store, especifically to the Wikipedia app page, as if trying to force me to install it. To avoid this, I have to tap and hold on the original link on google, select "open in new tab" and then Chrome will open a new browser tab with the wikipedia article I want. Once in there, tapping on the article's links will direct normally to the other wikipedia articles.

How can I prevent Chrome from redirecting me to the Wikipedia's Play Store's page? Clearing defaults for both Chrome and Play Store had no effect. I even installed the Wikipedia app, then cleared its defaults and uninstalled it (not sure if this is of any use) but still the same happens.

Thanks for any help.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Not a clue, Raspy; works okay for me (meaning, no redirect to Play store to DL wikipedia app) on tablet. Checked settings in Chrome, nothing jumped out as a likely cause.
    Does this happen with other browsers, too (redirect to play store when clicking on a wikipedia link in Google search)? if yes, I'd suspect a setting outside of the browsers, either in Play Store (more likely) or possibly in Setings/Accounts/Google for your device.

3. raspabalsa

Thanks, Rick. I thought this behavior was common across devices. I'll check with Dolphin too, report back. I use Chrome as my main browser, but Dolphin resides on my device too.

I see nothing on Play Store or my accounts settings that would make Chrome redirect. I'll test on my other phone (Galaxy S3 Mini) to see if the same thing happens.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

scjjtt, lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  5. raspabalsa

<raspy gently pushes jig aside, sets him down on the couch and -yet again- tightens the straitjacket's laces >

Some results: when I run a search on Chrome on any of my two phones (Xperia Z1 and S3 Mini), any wikipedia result is shown as "m.wikipedia". But when I run a search on Dolphin Browser, any wikipedia result is shown as "wikipedia". That is, on my devices Chrome is redirecting to the mobile wikipedia site, which seems to be what triggers the launch of Play Store to install the wikipedia app. Dolphin redirects to the main or "desktop" wikipedia page so the Play Store seems to ignore the process.

So it seems the problem boils down to making Chrome invoke the main wikipedia site, not the mobile one. How can I do this, or why are my two devices invoking the mobile site? I'm sure events will prove that I did this myself, but I have no clue how, when, or how to undo it :oops:

scjjtt, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

It sounds like a user agent problem. In Boat (my primary browser-- I love it so much, I wish they made it for Windows) , I have a choice of user agent Android/mobile or Desktop. The former will send me to mobile sites (but I don't get bugged by Play Store) and the latter gives me the regular version.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You have the same Candy Crush virus on both phones.

Well, maybe not.

When I search on Chrome it takes me to the mobile Wikipedia site and I don't get redirected. So there. ;)

lelisa13p likes this.
  8. RickAgresta

Dito what jig said, last sentence, that is :D

I don't see a way in Chrome to force it to stay in 'desktop mode' -- maybe a Saved vs Unsaved Preference kind of thing…I suppose that, having doen a search, you could switch to Desktop mode and then tap the Wikipedia link…lame way forward, if it even works

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Wow! A Palm reference --- good one, RA. :)

10. RickAgresta

In a file manager with root access, in this filepath:
    /data/data/com.android.chrome/
    there are 9 folders, one of which is shared_prefs That folder has 4 xml files, one of which is com.android.chrome_preferences.xml
    In it there is a promising entry in the bottom half of the file:
    <boolean name="chrome_to_mobile_enabled" value="false" />
    Don't know if changing that to "true" will stick or not, but that's what I'd try.

Hth, rick

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.