How Can I Connect My T Series Model to a Wi-Fi Network?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iRonica

iRonica Fly-by Member

Nice idea, unless you have Sprint PCS, who STILL hasn't put out a bluetooth phone. Can't afford a new phone, just like I can't afford a new Palm.

This shouldn't be so painful. If only I didn't hate PPC so much....

2. ghostrider

ghostrider Mobile Enthusiast

I just spoke to palmOne regarding WiFi SDIO support for the Tungsten T-5. They said that there are a lot of bugs in the drivers but it will still work. They encouraged me to wait until they have completed the patch for the T-5 drivers before trying it. He mentioned the late December or January time frame. I asked him to have palmOne post the T-5 incompatibility on thier website to clarify the issue.

Relatedly, I received an email response from SanDisk regarding the drivers for thier WiFi+256MB card. Thier response was nonsensical and I'm writing them off.

As a side note, for anyone interested in purchasing the T-5, there are a lot of outstanding issues with the T-5 in general. It seems like palmOne is starting to pander to market forces for time-to-market instead of waiting until they have a stable product. If I didn't need it so badly, I would return it and wait for the T-6. To palmOne's credit, most of the issues are from software vendors that can't handle the screen size, landscape mode, or the dynamic writing area. Be careful when upgrading from an older palm as most of your software might not work.

ghostrider.

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Mobile Enthusiast

I spoke to the fine folks at several sled manufacturers. In short, "[the] T5 don't have an universal connector, they called that Multi-Connector, so, T5 is not supported."

This is something I keep running into. Why the blazes did palmOne the #$%$%^ connector again?

ghostrider.

4. clindner

clindner Mobile Enthusiast

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the T608. Its been out for a year now, but not sold through mainstream channels.

Works great with my T3!

Call Sprint Telesales to get your own! About $200 bux before rebates, and they are offering a number of special, non 18-month based rebates depending on your situation.

-Curt

5. mjj808

mjj808 Mobile Enthusiast

I didn't read through evenry post on this thread, so someone ha probably already said this: but shouldn't someone update that first post to say that there is a PalmOne wifi card available now for the T3?

6. dohdave

dohdave Guest

Yup. I use the card with Airport and it is fantastic. The setup was VERY easy and content downloads quite quickly. My 14 year old tech genius thinks it's cool, and he knows everything ;-)

7. mrhinman

mrhinman Newbie

I'm waiting for PalmOne to get the lead out on a WiFi + Memory card much like the SanDisk model. It's about time that T3 users had the best of both worlds.

The T3 far surpasses any other Palm handheld at this point, even the T5, which has more flaws if you ask me.

This backward-engineering scheme of Palm's is getting annoying, but I'm not sure that I would go back to a Cli?, or worse, go to a PPC just yet.

I made the mistake of selling my T3 and all its accesories a few months ago. Now I regret it, and I'm shopping again. But it looks like the good old T3 again!

--
    Matthew

8. grahamnind

grahamnind Mobile Deity

Sent an e-mail to C-guys
    Got this reply
    I know we've heard things like this before, but it could happen this time.

9. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

You can get Softick RAMdrive or RAMdisk and have RAM available on the Palm while using the WiFi card.

When using the WiFi card there are probably very few if any programs or information that you need. What programs you do need when using WiFi just put them in RAM.

Having memory on the WiFi card doesn't seem necessary to me with the above two programs available.

10. TA-t3

TA-t3 Mobile Deity

I must agree with the above. A dynamic RAM drive solves all the needs I might have for the SD slot while using the wifi card. It works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.